Solid axle, OBR twin build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooman007uk

well i've been threatening to do this for a while now but had neither the time or the necessary equipment to do what i needed...had some time lately and with a big thanks to Clayton from vertigo performance for lending me a mini lathe/mill combo he had sitting in a corner doing nothing. so now had no excuses so got busy
what it will be:
formula offroad
powered by an obr 57cc fullmod twin
4130 chromemoly tube chassis, 4 link suspension and solid axles front and rear ,
rampage MT tires, treads shaved off and hpi 5t sand buster paddles glued on, they're the closest to the real scoops on 1:1
either drop pitman arm steering set up or more likely a piston to piston, master and slave hydraulic steering.. picked up an oddified tonegawa ps050 for 70quid off ebay uk so whichever setup i use servo power wont be an issue.
pipes will be hacked up pocket/mini bike exhausts. cheapo ones have a nice fat belly 10" long and plenty of header to play with...only 35bucks each
motor will be mounted up front lengthways with a simple pinion and spur with jack shafts. 10mm telescoping driveshafts from a honda hru216 self propelled lawnmower for drive shafts to the axles. Shocks i'm going to try making some air over oil, springless ones with rezzies and a floating piston to keep oil and air separate

just 'bout covers it.

first up the hardest part...axles. been trying to figure these out since my last build...was coming up short until i scrapped aluminum and started thinking good ol' steel.. then i came to me,so procured the needed machine and got started.
using rampage centre diff spool and pinion front and rear.

started with this...each one is a half...

DSC02460_zpsd5bbb545.jpg

ended up with this

2012-11-23_20-03-06_793_zpse36c2638.jpg
2012-11-24_18-55-51_3451_zps0d2871fe.jpg
DSC02444_zps892c991c.jpg

then set about making pinion bosses from aluminum as well as wheel hubs and steel hub flanges

DSC02447_zps85e2df91.jpg
DSC02457_zpsa06af976.jpg

so far so good, only buggered up one pumpkin half...on the last cut too...3 1/2 hrs machining down the drain...being a small lathe 1mm cuts are the max even with carbide index bits.

next was to determine how big the thing is going to be and came up with 20" from end of hex on the wheel adapters, 26" with tires and 28" wheelbase axle centre to centre,,should look scale then with the 8x5" rampig tires.

pinion boss

DSC02452_zps143cc881.jpg
DSC02461_zps9125e84c.jpg

cut some thick walled 4130 tube and voila axle housings

DSC02465_zps5d1f1569.jpg
DSC02463_zps30b9c70d.jpg

machined in some grooves for some spacers that'll be welded on

DSC02476_zps69d1b7a1.jpg
DSC02477_zpsacec4c37.jpg

rear axle shafts...using 5b outdrives welded to cut to modded hurrax shafts (these are 4140chromemoly whereas most others seem to be c45medium carbon steel), will be no pins or cups to break, one solid shaft...once all the bits are finished i'll take them to the local foundry to reset the desired hardness and temper.

DSC02467_zps71b233b6.jpg

the fronts will be FLM kalee cvds

rear axle with shafts weighs a hair under 1.5kg (3.3lbs) the whole build i hope to scale at no more than 18kg (39.6lb) wet which will be pretty light considering it's size and power...lighter than a rampage/blackout

with the rear axles are done bar the welding so on to the front hubs

DSC02473_zpsd6b6f550.jpg
DSC02478_zpsfe06d358.jpg
DSC02479_zpsaa815974.jpg

can't start on the chassis until my engine comes and that can't be sent until OBR gets their long awaited delivery from rcmk..:( hoping it shows up soon

hopefully my steering cylinders show up today so i can start on that job, once they come i'll also be able to figure if my shock idea will work or not, no shocks out there with 75mm stroke so have to figure something out.

Last edited:
Looking good,so what are you going to use a 4link or 3link system?And do u have a build started on this forum of this truck?

I like this kind of builds were you fab just about every part,you get to learn what works and what don't.
I even like modding my own engines to say this is my power plant i built.
Good luck and keep the pic coming it might get others thinking on doing there own full build if they have access to lathes or mills.

Little off topic and I am sorry but I heard u used to make diff cup sleeves for the redcats or at least one guy I know has them. By any chance you still got any or would make any?

Seems like we've got several VERY decent engineers on the Forum.
Why don't you get together and start your own LargeScale company?

Seriously, loving this and the other projects - makes us 'normal' people feel very 'humble' for want of less subtle phrases!!
Al.

Seems like we've got several VERY decent engineers on the Forum.
Why don't you get together and start your own LargeScale company?

Seriously, loving this and the other projects - makes us 'normal' people feel very 'humble' for want of less subtle phrases!!
Al.

i'm just a shade tree mechanic who's o so tired of the flat pan chassis independent suspension offerings.

depending how this goes and the sc prototype after this something could follow production wise...i've another set of axle prototypes to try that will suit production better, be modular to enable either spools or diffs and lighter.

tires are 8" diameter and 5" wide....

tires halfway shaved, 850gr of tread gone so far
DSC02485_zpsb4a49fc7.jpg

now have to grind them down flush, remove the side lugs, cut out 56 paddles and then glue

engine, killswitch and adas arrived today...just waiting on obr full mod top ends, 603 carbs and cooling head...at least now i can layout the chassis

DSC02487_zps00d26675.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks