Spektrum...Whats the difference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voo2doo

In Memoriam
PLUS member
Hiya fellas
I was just on the Spektrum site and was looking at a DX5e 5 channel to buy to use in my boats and FG's.I saw there was a good few at different prices and they offered different modes.But whats the difference in a 'surface' and 'air' radio? Do they all work the same or is it illegal to use an air for a surface and vice versa?
Thanks in advance.
James.

spectrum

well i just know and have intrest in the surface models.

my own (fg beetle rebuild) is a spectrum dx3.0 and has an inbuilt failsafe,tonns of adjustments for steering/throttle sub trims,two extra chanells.
best thing on spectrum is that is uses the inbuilt spectrum micro processor which doesn't need crystalls,it uses its own 80built in channels(like in built crystal chanells) say if i was running with ten other r/c drivers on a track it would switch frequencys automaticly untill it would find a free channel,and it has a choice of up to 80 differnt inbuilt chanells to choose from to switch to,so that means i could be running with up to 79 differnt racers safely with no interfernces at all and would never have to use crystals,it skips the need for these automaticly.

also the spectrum with its built in tecnological advancments runs on a unique band which never gets interfernce from servos,other stray signals/noise etc etc..(but maybe this info isnt much help as regards the question you asked lol) but i do know that my one is fitted with the surface module which means it has a differnt set up to air machines,i think its something assosiated with noise on the planes...and also planes require 8plus channels on some lol.....

and this is just to list some.
they offer very precise adjustments and excellent range.
safest transmittor/reciever set up by far in an r/c machine.

to me spectrum tecnolagy is the way to go.

check out this link
http://www.rcslot.com/radio-control-slot-cars/spektrum.html

Last edited:
I talked to a Futaba rep by phone..He said you can use a duel stick Radio
He suggested dx6e for the money...Also said you can use these now for ground
use as of the 2.4ghz...The FCC Rules have changed..duel stick radio's are no longer
just for air.......Slawhammer

I would think but am not 100% positive that the 2.4ghz is allowed for both the difference is the receivers. Also, some of the ground receivers are not compatible with the stick radios.

Hey Bigger the better..all I know is that fuabta rep said it worked with there Tx & Rec..
I am only going on what he said...contact Speckturm or Fatuba see what they
tell you...Ask if you can use duel stick radio for ground use....Slawhammer

I talked to a Futaba rep by phone..He said you can use a duel stick Radio
He suggested dx6e for the money...Also said you can use these now for ground
use as of the 2.4ghz...The FCC Rules have changed..duel stick radio's are no longer
just for air.......Slawhammer

my buddy 2stiktom uses the dx6 for his baja , cd ,boats without any issues at all ,and as his name thats all he has ever used is the stick radios

the 5E has NO EPA settings. It is a VERY Basic Radio. Speky did a Recall for some problems on the 6i also recently. that leaves the DX7 the next best option.

though if you want an air radio thats 2.4 and quite capible, get the Futaba 6EX FASST unit. about 220 UDS and is a very nice radio.

though there are a couple very good 4chnl pistol style surface radios. the Nomadio React and the Futaba 4PK

Being a 2.4 radio, i don't think interferance would be an issue, even if there was an airfield next to it. thats the beauty of 2.4 but some clubs may still not allow the air radio strictly becuase it is designated as an air radio. i do know futaba make a surface stick radio as does airtronics i think, but i think these are both FM not 2.4Ghz.

Last edited:
Excellent,nice call boys. Not really bothered if it's a stick or wheel radio as I have been using stick for 20 years or more and have only had a wheel transmitter for about 5 years.I think the latter is an American idea. All British magazines i have and race meetings I use to attend it's really 90% stick and 10% wheel type radio's that are or were being used.( or am I getting too old for this?).Anyway thanks again for your advice and info.
Happy driving.
J.

Normally the 'air' radios don't have the same functions as their 'car' counterparts, so features like 'abs' etc are missing.

I currently use a Futaba 3GR-2.4 stick car radio but have toyed with going for a 6xx model to get the extra channels on the receiver, however lack of car related functions have put me off this.

Hey ducky.. Your correct on missing some functions for use of the cars go..
But if you need more channels ..ya have to give up some features....
My self would choose more channels.....1,2 & 3 are taken up ..throttle/brake..steering..
kill switch....so if you want to use hydro brakes and add lites ..ya need 2 more channels..
I guess you could get a 4 channel Radio system...limited choice there....
It all comes down to application for your use............Slawhammer

Yeah the 4PK seems to be the maximum car channel set (4 channels), I'm currently using up all three on my MT and a forth would be handy for the kill switch. I think the air sets miss a few crucial settings though as I recall (not just ABS which I don't use anyway) so would need to compare the manuals side by side to see the actual differences.

the Nomadio radios are also 4chn setups. plus can run analog and digital servos at the same time without worry of performance loss or burning servos out.

i hear the Multiplex radio (looks like the React as its the same case) is multi channel up to 6 i think.

Just FYI :),

Thank youfor your recent email. The DX5e and the DX6i are stick radios designed for aircraft. However if you like stick radios it can be used for surface use with AR air recievers.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have any further questions, please reply to this e-mail or give us a call at 1-877-504-0233.

Thans,
Daniel
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby Distributors
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
[email protected]

Cheers for the info BIB, least now we know where the ball sits on using air kit for surface use (i.e. it's not illegal)

In the beginning all TX was Stick radio wither air shore or offshore use, 2 canals to 6 if I remember correctly. This is from the med 80's.
The Trigger and steering wheel type came in the late 80's early 90's.
That how I remember it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks