Starter is slipping. What's the fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clean it, of course by slipping i assume you mean the starter pawl is either not fully engaging or even moving out towards flywheel at all. clean it with compressed air and a brush then use some dry grapite lube (available from auto parts stores and locksmith places) on it. now if you take the ps off and find broken teeth on the flywheel you will need to replace that but seeing as you said "slipping" i am assuming you just need to clean your pullstarter assembly.

clean it, of course by slipping i assume you mean the starter pawl is either not fully engaging or even moving out towards flywheel at all. clean it with compressed air and a brush then use some dry grapite lube (available from auto parts stores and locksmith places) on it. now if you take the ps off and find broken teeth on the flywheel you will need to replace that but seeing as you said "slipping" i am assuming you just need to clean your pullstarter assembly.

I should elaborate that it is not the pullstart assembly. I use a rotostart type plate. It's a lot less complicated: just a socket on the outside directly connected to an engagement cup on the inside.

The problem is somewhere in or beyond the flywheel. I'm not familiar with the assembly of these engines at all.

---------------
EDIT:
After typing the above, I thought I would go find the assembly instructions for the drill quick-start. It's not as "direct" as I thought, there is a one-way in it. I guess I shoulda know that. I'll dissassemble/clean/lube the starter and chime back in tomorrow.

I should elaborate that it is not the pullstart assembly. I use a rotostart type plate. It's a lot less complicated: just a socket on the outside directly connected to an engagement cup on the inside.

The problem is somewhere in or beyond the flywheel. I'm not familiar with the assembly of these engines at all.

---------------
EDIT:
After typing the above, I thought I would go find the assembly instructions for the drill quick-start. It's not as "direct" as I thought, there is a one-way in it. I guess I shoulda know that. I'll dissassemble/clean/lube the starter and chime back in tomorrow.

ok well in your case then i would say it is the one way bearing. if you have ever had a nitro engine you might have come across where the pull starter or electric start wouldnt work (same thing as what you are running into basicall) the oen way bearing gets fouled by debris be it oil, or dust, dirt, and grime and it will cause either the slipping you describe or the other end of the spectrum which is it would lock up adn in your case i think a clean and relube would get you taken care of.

ok well in your case then i would say it is the one way bearing. if you have ever had a nitro engine you might have come across where the pull starter or electric start wouldnt work (same thing as what you are running into basicall) the oen way bearing gets fouled by debris be it oil, or dust, dirt, and grime and it will cause either the slipping you describe or the other end of the spectrum which is it would lock up adn in your case i think a clean and relube would get you taken care of.

Yep, I've had several pullstart nitros over the years, which is exactly why I got rid of the one on this car before pulling it once.

I've torn down the quick-start and discovered that the staft is completely worn down. The oneway actually "looks" okay, but I will replace it too. I've never seen this before. It obviously was not hard enough for the application.
wornshaft.jpg

looks like you found your problem :D. i personally will stay with the PS myself :lol:

Nope! Too many painful years with them. I hate'em. I like play with out the pain when it come to R/C. I'm just going buy a couple spare shafts.

i had got one of those myself, installed it on my t1000 and had nothing but probs with it, the one way bearing it come with was defective, so i for now, just put my collared pawl PS back on, no issues at all using the collared pawl ps.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks