Steel Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z.hb71

Build Thread Contributor
Hope someone can answer this, im sure one of you can, which is stronger, sintered steel or hardened steel? For gears. Blackbone uses hardened steel but sintered steel looks like it has higher tensile strength. but I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. Also, NO I'm not trying to replicate my transmission gears in place of blackbone gears for a cheaper price, I'm not the copying/stealing type of guy. This is for something totally different. You can't know just yet.

Last edited:
In truth you would need the specs for both. Sintered steel can be very strong. They make connecting rods in diesels using a similar method. Form what I recall it didnt take shock forces well.

In truth you would need the specs for both. Sintered steel can be very strong. They make connecting rods in diesels using a similar method. Form what I recall it didnt take shock forces well.
Ok. Well I don't have any gears lined up becuase the project won't start until end of summer. So just in general. If your right that sintered steel doesn't take shock well, I'd assume it wouldn't be great for RC gears becuase from standstill to full throttle with a 70cc would be a pretty good amount of force/torque (for a RC of course). The gear is Gunna be a pinion gear, but not a typical type of pinion, it's a spider gear as a pinion. Not sure if you can get anything out of that, hope that gets you thinking.

Ok. Well I don't have any gears lined up becuase the project won't start until end of summer. So just in general. If your right that sintered steel doesn't take shock well, I'd assume it wouldn't be great for RC gears becuase from standstill to full throttle with a 70cc would be a pretty good amount of force/torque (for a RC of course). The gear is Gunna be a pinion gear, but not a typical type of pinion, it's a spider gear as a pinion. Not sure if you can get anything out of that, hope that gets you thinking.

See if you can make sense out of it ,it seems that it is controversial matters like gear heads with are RC's!....LOL

I gather ,its how the metals are made in process ,but seems to differ on the strength in different applications ,but .
they found Sentered is only a economical way in mass products ,but does have good strength depending how the metal is made!

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sintered-steel.htm

Sintered would be harder, but how it is formed, it is alot more brittle, hardened is more of a general term, but typically harder than it would typically be.

hardened steel is typically annealed and heat cycled to relieve the stress in the material. and to regain more of its toughness.
sintered, how it is formed it is many pieces, the material is bonded but not truly combined so annealing would only relieve the stress in each of the tiny pieces within it. and would not relieve the stress between the bonded pieces. this does make the piece very hard, but the toughness is low.

all in all hardened is better if it was hardened correctly, which typically they know what they are doing, cheap metal usually does not have consistent properties throughout so hardening is uneven as some areas needed to be heated more, and other areas needed to be heated less during the annealing and hardening process, typically why cheap tools either shatter easy or bend/deform.
hope that helped... hey my college education actually did something!

Sintered would be harder, but how it is formed, it is alot more brittle, hardened is more of a general term, but typically harder than it would typically be.

hardened steel is typically annealed and heat cycled to relieve the stress in the material. and to regain more of its toughness.
sintered, how it is formed it is many pieces, the material is bonded but not truly combined so annealing would only relieve the stress in each of the tiny pieces within it. and would not relieve the stress between the bonded pieces. this does make the piece very hard, but the toughness is low.

all in all hardened is better if it was hardened correctly, which typically they know what they are doing, cheap metal usually does not have consistent properties throughout so hardening is uneven as some areas needed to be heated more, and other areas needed to be heated less during the annealing and hardening process, typically why cheap tools either shatter easy or bend/deform.
hope that helped... hey my college education actually did something!
Thx for the info !!!! Hardened steel is where I will go

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks