steering servo, is large size really needed???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkey

i was just reading on the rccrawler.com that hitec is coming out with another new servo to add to the lineup of mega torque titanium gear servos, and the specs absolutly slaughter the already killer 7950 (486oz.in .13 transit time at 7.4 volts). the new m7990 is 638oz/in and .18 seconds transit time at 7.4 volts, and is only 10% larger than a standard servo.

so i started thinking, with all the digital high torque standard size servos that are out there now, many of which have numbers far more impressive than our heavy large size stuff, is a large size servo really needed anymore??? i know geartrain strength is a concern, however with titanium gears, im sure it would be a non issue. i can see a few upsides to a standard size servo, they are more common so replacement parts would be easy to get, they take up less room, 1/3rd the weight and many newer ones will run direct off 2s lipo making them more efficient. there would be some downsides to them, for one you would need to make adapters to fit in the large scale servo tray.

any thoughts???

I would think with the newer higher end standard ones you would be OK. I don't think there would be a problem. The motors and boards are bigger to withstand higher need in the 1/4 scalers but the new ones you mention I think can handle more then that now.
Gotta love technology keeps on a changing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks