Steering Servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schulzie

hi all,

ive just recently brought a hpi baja rtr V1 (it was cheap and brand new!) but within two minutes of running the car the steering servo decided to give up and basically turns full lock and wont budge.

Is this common?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

check the servo for proper operation. just plug it into the Throtle/Brake channel, and use the t/b and see if it works or not, if it works fine, plug the throatle servo into the steering channel and see how it works, if it locks to one side, something is wrong with the radio and or reciever. you can try to re seat the chrystals, but beyond that, its probably messed up. If the steering servo does the same thing in the t/b channel of the rx (locks to one side), then the steering servo is messed up somehow.

In either event you have a few options. First i would contact HPI and speak with their customer service. They are excellent with thieir warrenty, and after speaking with you, should they find a part/parts to be defective, they typically will send a part right out. Ofcourse some of it depends on where you are in the world.

as another option, you can figure out what is wrong, and buy a new piece to repair it yourself. it may be a new radio system if the tx/rx is messed up. I do suggest a better radio. the stock rtr radio can work, but i recommend immediatly moving to a 2.4 style radio like the Futaba 3Pm FASST radio. imho, this is one of the best and most intelligent upgrade any gas rc can get.

2nd is its a servo issue, is to buy a servo that you can insall in place. the stock rtr steering servo has plastic gears in them, and they do tend to break. Best bet is to rebuild the gears with the new V2 HPI metal gear upgrade set for the Baja. makes that stock servo into a very durable and decent steering servo.

thanks for the info timmahh, looks like the servo is faulty. The car is out of warranty as i brought it from someone who left it setting on their shelf since new and never started or used it.

it servo ran fine for 5 mins then it gave way. I have since brought another new servo and also a chinese servo from an well known hong kong site. so hopefully if it dies again, ill be up and moving quickly.

They have a 2 yr warrenty. HPI has been Very good and honoring that time, you can still call, worst that can happen is they can say no.

Stock servos and radio systems should be one of the 1st upgrades in ANY model. If not you must buy a PBKillswitch and run it 1st thing. A cheap servo is just that "cheap". We can get away with cheap plastic or other parts and live with it when it fails but when it come to electronics, no way - Spend the extra cash.:)

that is very true BtB. I also recommend a 2.4 system and kill switch (even though i personally don't use one at the moment, but i will be), as being a number one thing to do out of the box. you really cant express the quality differance, not only of MOST of the 2.4 radios, but the Signal and Response quality in the radio and the receiver, and how much more predictable the car is because of the radio system funitoning flawlessly.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks