Stiiffening up shocks, different oil?? What weight?? Any ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on the oil thing - Confused on which is OK or not.. I think its an issue running non silicone oil in the HPI shocks but, I have run silicone in my MT shocks for a long time with no issues. I run 50 and 60wt.

1500 front, 2000 rear can work.
I've stepped down to 1000 / 1500 and it's fine.

One thing I will say with the FG shocks is I never lose a drop.

I've an LST2 - started as a Raminator .... - and I'd fitted Integy MSR3 piggy back monster shocks - they're big - but there was always at least one of the shocks leaking, not necessary the one behind the pipe (fuel dilution, etc).
The shock shafts were thicker than the rod end threads, and the shoulder is very square. I reckon this was the problem despite the care in soaking the O-rings and slowly feeding in the shaft.

Never had this problem with the FG ones. Even if I'm not blasting it up and down, I've a (bad) habit of pushing down on the FG MT - front or rear - as its next to the computer perhaps 100x, when I'm 'thinking' - like an 'Executive toy' - albeit a tad large and expensive!!
Al.

Al i think yours are the same as mine on me touring car:D

16mm dia ...the fat boys are 20mm dia

i have the red springs ;)

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg

K....

Hi Keith, if you look at the Hobbythek site, there are 3 sizes of Evo04 body - short, medium and long - and 2 sizes of shaft - short and long, so the shocks are modular. I've all manner of spares for these things and use mediums I think with short shafts on the McLaren. Very smooth action.
Al.

I'm with you on the oil thing - Confused on which is OK or not.. I think its an issue running non silicone oil in the HPI shocks but, I have run silicone in my MT shocks for a long time with no issues. I run 50 and 60wt.

With HPI you have to use mineral oil because the seals with perish with silicon and with FG you can use either.Standard FG oil is a silicon base.
J;)

Last edited:
hey i never realised about shock oil untill i undid mine and descovered they were half emtpy or totally emtpy, anyway since then i have bought some FG 5000wt silocone shock oil great stuff if i screw my shocks right down as far as they go they don't even move rock hard, but apart from that there really good now you push them down aand the respond instantly. i got my oil from ebay for like £5.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks