Storing oiled air filters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperera

Has anyone noticed if they store a oiled air filter, say in a sandwich bag for example, they dry out and discolour after a week?

Im using castrol spray air filter oil and my air filters are discolouring and drying out slightly after about a week?

I like to be organised so always have 2-3 clean oiled air filters ready for a days bashing but when I go to use them they are dry and have gone a slightly brown colour, i end up oiling them again to be on the safe side, which defeats the purpose of storing them oiled.

I wash mine with dish washing soap, rinse completely and let air dry then store in a zip lock bag until needed again.

I wash in fairy liquid, rinse with clean water, air dry, then oil with putoline Action Fluid and put it in a zippy. Stores for up to 2 months and comes out sticky still

same, same, same.... but hpi filter oil. that goo stays forever. I pre oil all my spares too as I run hpi baja air filters on much everything and have lots of spare elements

Or a quick fix if your at the track and don't have any oil. I used to do this with the nitro's,wash your filters in the nitro fuel,it oils them as well!
J

i think what happens is the oil settles on the bottom of the filter and leaves the top dry. decided not to store them oiled anymore, just oil at track as I need to.

i store them in a sealed sandwich bag (plastic)

I took one of the wife's tupperware containers with lid. I store my 2 extra sets of air filters all oiled up. Some oil residue collected on the bottom of the container. I usually try to soak up some and squeeze the excess out again before taking a filter out of this container.

LOL i take the wifes containers all the time. I even work on the coffee table when its too cold to work in the garage, other than the odd complaint of petrol smell in the house the wife doesn't complain

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks