Successful Pocket Bike Conversion build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The steering works like this. When you give the command to turn one spring decreases its tension and the other will increase its tension thus allowing the whole steering rod to move either pulling or pushing on the bikes fork tree and causing the bike to either tilt to the right or left depending on the command given on the radio.
Why not have it rigid you ask?........Let me ask you this. Can you compensate quickly enough by radio yourself when the bike is travelling and hits a change in the pavement? By having the bike set up this way. It will compensate itself for changes. Plus having it rigidly connected your steering servo might last 5min if your lucky.
Remember when your setting up your bike left on the radio is making the wheel of the bike turn to the right..and vice versa..This is CORRECT! r/c bikes counter steer.
More pics later
Chris

Last edited:
Ok everyone here is what you been waiting for the steering set up....
BUT first I have to do this..

If any one should attempt this conversion or a conversion similar to this, I can not be held responsible for any mishaps, damages to persons property etc. that could be caused by building and operating a project such as this. This bike could easily kill some one if it gets out of control including the operator. You must be completely observant for your safety and the safety of others.

Thank You.
Chris

I loved the public service announcement!! It reminds me of Norm Abram for the New Yankee Workshop on PBS. The poor guy has been saying the same line for 20 years! lol..

P.s. What Porsche/s are you into? I love the 928 myself... 78-86

I loved the public service announcement!! It reminds me of Norm Abram for the New Yankee Workshop on PBS. The poor guy has been saying the same line for 20 years! lol..

P.s. What Porsche/s are you into? I love the 928 myself... 78-86

Thanks Trip, just covering all my bases with the conversion since basically I have shown everyone here how its done and I don't want to be held responsible if anything did happen.

As for Porsche ,You would like mine.... I have a 1984 Porsche 928S. In Rouche Quartz Metalic. Looks brown but can look grey, black, beige depending on the way the light refracts off the paint.
Fantastic machine, I hate winter for obvious reasons lol.

My 1st Porsche a 1981 Porsche 924NA

Chris

Heres a few more pics from underneath the bike showing the steering set up.

Attachments

• steeringsetup5.jpg
    steeringsetup5.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 29
  • steeringsetup6.jpg
    steeringsetup6.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 34
  • steeringsetup7.jpg
    steeringsetup7.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 29
Well we have come full circle with this conversion ....here is what I used for the drag bars...and here is the last few pics of the completed bike conversion.
Hope you all enjoyed it.
Chris

Attachments

• faringprotector.jpg
    faringprotector.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 40
  • finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 47
  • finished2.jpg
    finished2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 41
  • finished3.jpg
    finished3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 45
  • finished4.jpg
    finished4.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 49
I went and looked at the quads. Should be able to start production next month. The steering is awfully stiff on the new units, but am told a little grease loosens them up a lot. Otherwise it'll take a couple 1/4 scale servos just to steer it...

any new pics or vids? how are those drag bars working out? I almost want to do an on road one now too hehe.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I built this a couple of years ago so yes I have alot of operating time with it. "Easy to drive".....once one is used to it, its quite enjoyable. But you can not let your guard down for even one second. Things happen very fast with this bike.
Do I have more video, not yet, will I get more this year depends on time available.

The drag bars work out fine, but if they are too short the bike scrapes the rear axles and or the kickstand on the ground if leaned to far over.
Kenaz you saw one running? where? there are only a few of us in the world that attempted this.
pipous 2 quarter scale servos would likely turn an ATVs wheels easily however there are stronger servos then what we commonly see available. I will have to try and find one of the names that could be used.
Chris

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I built this a couple of years ago so yes I have alot of operating time with it. "Easy to drive".....once one is used to it, its quite enjoyable. But you can not let your guard down for even one second. Things happen very fast with this bike.
Do I have more video, not yet, will I get more this year depends on time available.

The drag bars work out fine, but if they are too short the bike scrapes the rear axles and or the kickstand on the ground if leaned to far over.
Kenaz you saw one running? where? there are only a few of us in the world that attempted this.
pipous 2 quarter scale servos would likely turn an ATVs wheels easily however there are stronger servos then what we commonly see available. I will have to try and find one of the names that could be used.
Chris
i saw some video s on you tube

That is a great project. Very interesting about how you have to spring-mount the steering.

Any thoughts on a hydraulic steering stabilizer? Would that make it a little less "twitchy"?

That is a great project. Very interesting about how you have to spring-mount the steering.

Any thoughts on a hydraulic steering stabilizer? Would that make it a little less "twitchy"?

First of all thanks.

hmm hydraulic steering stabilizer interesting......... actually I looked into using small stabilizers however it is a requirement for the front forks to be able to turn quickly and freely. I think the hydraulic stabilizer system would not allow this freedom of movement. By having the forks able to have this freedom it allows the bike to track. hydraulic would be too rigid and the slightest in perfection of the pavement would throw the bike down.
If I used stronger springs or compressed the ones already on the bike more it would be the same effect. Adjusting the springs tighter increases its sensitivity in the steering making it very difficult to control.
I'm not sure if you noticed or not. With the radio gear switched on I can hold the bike upright and shake the bike. The forks will move freely lock to lock, This is needed so the bike can track going straight, dropping in to a lean and straightening back up.

Chris

I am still doing the quad conversion, just side tracked a little. barter system. am trading some auto detailing for welding, so it's still in the planning stage, ya that's the ticket ;)

I will use the same idea with springs for steering, just a really stiff setup. home made servo saver

main reason I haven't started is I can't fit one in my car LOL. I emailed the vendor to see if I can get one not assembled

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks