Suspension on Mt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riceburner

Has anyone played around with the suspension on the new 8 shock setup? I find it very hard and bouncy compared to my Baja 5b. I changed the shock oil to 50w already but it drives like a brick with wheels. What if I remove the anti sway bar on the rear?:helpsmilie:

I have a baja also and it handles like it's on rails, As my throttle servo has not yet arrived for my MT I have never driven it.

Do they really handle that poorly?
I would also like to know what people do to make them handle properly.

Riceburner,

You're not alone as I too have noticed the FG MT a lil stiff. I've removed the rear anti-sway bar which did help a little but I'm thinking of also replacing the oil because it's to stiff for my liking.

-Michael

I tried to redo the shocks last night, what a disaster. How do you bleed the darn things? I stripped the threads on the end caps through frustration. I am not happy with my FG even though I have only had it for a week. Gonna flog it and get another Baja. The suspension is like a touring car with bigger tires thats all.

what i do is set the whole shock up ready to install less oil and springs.

Use a rag to wrap around the shock to soak up any overspills you make.
Remove the TOP cap.

Fill the shock near the top with oil. say 4/5ths full.

work the shock shaft up and down thru the shock body to help remove any air bubbles trapped under the piston.

when you know all the air is gone from under the piston, fill pull the shaft fully out of the shock body and fill to the top with fluid.

With the shock up right and completly filled. screw the cap on but don't tighten it, but do put it on enought as to have to force fluid out in the next step.

now push the shock shaft back into the body slowly and force the excess fluid out thru the loose top cap. once the shaft is just about fully back into the body, again about 4/5ths the way, tighten the top cap now and whipe up the spilled fluid with the rag.

the best way i can describe the shock motion is, without spring intalled. flip shock upside down. now fully push the shaft into the body and seat it.
when you let off it, mine pops back up about 1/5th the way from the fluid pressure. know i reinstall the springs/clips and finally the shock.

now i know if i have a full compression, it will have to be very violent for the shock to blow fluid and really cuase a shock issue. im by no means and expert at all, but this method has been very reilable time after time.

T

Here... Here!...

I agree...

Take a piece of cardboard, cut or drill 8 holes in it... Now take a hobby knife and cut 8 more slits in the cardboard... Put your shock bodies in the holes and fill the shocks 3/4 the way, with oil...

And... Wait...

Wait a few mins. and wait for the bubbles to disapear, then, "Cycle" the shock shaft up and down, a few times (to remove the bubbles)

Then wait some more...

Place the caps in the slits you made eairler, now fill the shock caps too...

I fill the caps with oil (Just a bit of oil, enough to cover the bladder,) Cycle the shafts a few more times.

Cycle the shock shaft again (just for good measure) Remember $1000 truck, you want it to handle, don't you? So take your time

Fill the rest of the shock with oil... And wait some more... Remember air bubbles are the enemy!!!

Put on the shock cap, but wait... don't tighten it all the way!!!!!!

Put the cap on and tighten it a couple turns, while you cycle the shock shaft! (this is important!) FEEL FOR BUBBLES!!!

While you cycle the shock shaft, then tighten the cap... I move the shaft up about, (3/4) the the body, then tighten the cap...

If you assemble the shock, (Ie tighten the cap) with the piston at the bottom it will not compress fully after assembly, the shock will, "Lock up" in midway of the stroke. Let the shock oil "Bleed" and things will be fine.

Check the action of the shock, if all is well, then you have properly assembled the shock!

Check to make sure all shocks move the same and have the same rebound.

Hope this helps,

Trip/Chad..

Last edited:
Suspension

Redone the shocks with 70w oil, while I was at my LHS I also got a Tuned FG pipe. Gonna see how it runs this weekend. If I am not happy I am getting another Baja5 and putting a 26 Zen in it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks