The 4WD Conversion begins .....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may try my front Elcon shocks in the back and see if they are an improvement on the 4WD. Just have to mount them behind the arms and shock tower. But then again it's a costly upgrade and since I'll be running mine in the winter I'm trying to limit the aluminum upgrades. :ph34r:

The aluminum pistons and threaded shock shafts are a great upgrade for the stock shocks as well.

Hi so took the old girl out for a spin well what an improvement here's a vid for ye all tell me what you think.I'm running the fg shock springs front purple with the fg oil 3000 and on the back blue springs with again 300 shock oil oh and buy the way watch out for a scary pink panda bear lol

oh and the engine is a trial engine for me its the so cold fs racing engine they call a 30cc but know its really a 26cc and now i have removed the crank and carb and replaced it with a zen 26cc crank with tuned walbro carb 813 time will tel but it sounds much much better to the original parts inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmy-VPTwV7A

ps push on the HQ tab on the screen just under the picture it makes a difference

Hi BTB

Thanks for that.
I'm pritty happy with how she handles but not to happy about all the sand that gets in to the belt drive from the front where the wishbones are joined at the front diff i came across this as i had to take my modified shock tower of as it came loose from the alloy plate that sits on top of the diff house but there's nothing to do about that.Time will tell if the belt will hold up with the sand getting in there al the time this should of bean noticed by fg tech heads lol.any way im still happy now i have the 4wd fg mt
Ive just placed an order by the tps here in Holland for there own balloon springs , alloy servo tray , mt shock tower , steel gear wheel 15 teeth for the clutch bell because in the fg conversion kit for the mt you need the 15 teeth because its the 4wd and not the 2wd which is a 16 teeth gear wheel.
So i will be going down to tps this Friday to pik my parts up as i could not wait 1 more week and im now free from work so ive got time to go bashin lol

Aliminum diffs

Jasrx,

Can a 8484 be used in the 4wd models? I noticed they have a 68405/01 for them now but it looks the same except for the longer bolts. I thought you might have had the 8484 in your setup before getting the 4WD kit.

Hey SLEWA
it seems to me that you can use the the old set but only the insides but if i was you id go for the 4wd set you need the bolts to keep the diff together or have you for got lol of course you haven't
are you going all alloy

well i went to pts today had a chat with Harrie as you do picked a few things up that i needed cost me €190 that's $267 and more to come here's a pick of what i ordered from him oh and i got me self a new Allan key set as the other set was no good any more and Harrie said you can have a new set for nothing as the old set was still under garnetee

Attachments

• 22052009657.jpg
    22052009657.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
That's what I figured. I'll run the stock setup and see if anything happens. No need to upgrade unless it breaks or wears out. I'm limiting my Alloy upgrades to keep the weight down and for winter running plastic is much easier to keep from corrosion from salt.

So up to now i have the servo tray modded why i had to mod the thing is the alloy tray comes with plastic body posts so mmm thinking well got me self some alloy tubing and placed the plastic ones inside so this will be as strong as hell and the bad news is when i went to pick up my things from tps i didn't think to check the teeth on the gears well you know what im going to say next yup the git give me a 14th gear wheel in stead of the 15th.So now i have to wait till the post man brings it to me now as i don't want to drive all the way to tps just for a gear wheel.That's 2 hours drive there and back.
Oh and the balloon springs look real sweet with red shock socks on them along with the black beetle body here's a few photos of the servo body posts mod is a simple mod as you can see any one can do it
I used a pipe cutter to get a nice clean cut works a treat

Attachments

• 22052009658.jpg
    22052009658.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 22052009659.jpg
    22052009659.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 22052009660.jpg
    22052009660.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 5
  • 22052009661.jpg
    22052009661.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 6
Jasrx,

Can a 8484 be used in the 4wd models? I noticed they have a 68405/01 for them now but it looks the same except for the longer bolts. I thought you might have had the 8484 in your setup before getting the 4WD kit.

yes u can , im running my 2way adjustable diff in the rear and a 8484 in the front .

btw i weighed my beetle on wednesday when i took it to work .
with a full tank of petrol it was 13.05kg

Well that's good news so that's on the to do list it never ends lol
Hi jasrx have you any video footage of your beast running would be a nice treat

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks