thinking of buying a dbxl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maudsley

What's the verdict on these dbxls lads? Thinking of getting one soon. I've had Baja 5b & Baja 5sc all massively hopped up to make built proof with 30.5 engines. Ive also owned the FG 4x4 monster beetle which I hated, old design n crap suspension that I could right at any cost. question is will a bdxl with the quality hop ups be as good round a track n reliability wise to a Baja. Are these quality a made product or cheaply made non losi.( as its only branded losi not built n tested by them) I know its 4x4 compared to 2 wheel drive Baja so should be faster round track for obvious reasons being 4x4:):). I really love the look of the dbxl but want some info first.

Cheers

Yes it better than a Baja and it's not a good as a 5ive
It's going to be hard to make a better car than a 5
If you own a 5 you will not be happy with a DBXL 100 % it's a price point car
But for a jump from Baja to a 4 wheel drive it's better
If you like to build and up grade you will love it

If you have the funds for only one get the five with no upgrades it's a better car and put basher body on it to look like it

Last edited:
I really like the DBXL.
I only drive track together with alot of HPI's, FG's and some 5ive's.
Vs a 5ive with same engine and tire setup, I win cause of the weight difference.
Vs HPI's I win cause we run a track with tons of corners and only 1 long strech, so its not a fast track = 4WD > 2WD.
Vs FG Leopard 4WD its a win/tie if your the better driver, but with a good driver they will eat you cause they don't weigh much, and corner good.

On the car mechanics, the only thing that bothers me, and it REALLY bothers me, is the air filter. Theres not much room for improvement. I hope someone will come up with a better solution for them soon.
Everything else on the car can be upgraded now. Center drive shafts take some maintnance. I just got the FLM center drive shafts, so will see if they help that issue.

When buying a DBXL RTR, you just have to know that the RTR means "Ready To Rebuild".
So, buy it if you are ready to upgrade it, or go for the 5ive.

I run mine ALOT, and it takes alot of beating. And I haven't broken anything yet, only changed wear parts.
So the plastics are tough.
Would I trade my DBXL for a 5ive today? No, cause I beat them on the track. don't get me wrong, I love the 5ive, but also consider you have to carry that beast to and from the track, and off the track when it breaks down in the furthest part of the track ;)

cheers lads. thats great info. thats just what i wanted to hear really that its better than a baja!!. i like the price, styling, easy to work on, 4x4, so thats me sold now I'm gonna get one. whats the must hop ups this needs to be reliable straight away. when you mention getting the flm centre drive shafts it that because the stock ones snap? how do the wheel dog bones/ driveshaft pins hold up? was sick of swapping them on the bajas so i smashed the pins out and fitted case hardened 5mm pins and sleeved/slotted the stock drive cups on g/box and axles myself & never ever swapped or broke one pin since n thats with a MMR Pro mx 30.5 zen engine. i have full access to machine shop as I'm an engineer at a large oil refinery so i can mod stuff as n when. I'm just trying to gauge the MUST HAVEs straight away to stop truck downtime. i will be fitting my MMR pro mx motor in the dbxl straight away as well and driving/jumping it. so please give us a list what you say are the major weak parts to sort straight away!!!!!!. i want to start going most of the uk event weekends next year don't want to have wrote off weekend with a broke truck after first day. i want to make it bomb proof as best i can over winter ready for next yrs thrashing

cheers lads all comments not matter how small will help me loads……….

Last edited:
The worst thing on the car is the drive shafts they have a set screw that holds the cross pin in place and they break at that set screw if you have any press in ones made send me a set they are that bad if you jump the car and land on power they will break other than that just stuff backing out

I wonder if the RCMK XCR1000 is a better buy. It has better parts and it looks like they beefed up a lot of stuff including cnc shock towers.

2014_0919_13_zpsc6119bc4.gif2014_0919_26_zps29c76110.gif
This thing is ready to kick ass right out of the box including the Losi 5ive!

Last edited:
I do not have a DBXL but thinking about getting one. So far the biggest grip I have heard is the flex in the chassis. The DBXL has a 1 mm thinner chassis then the Losi 5t. According to Losi web site the DBXL is all most 10 pounds lighter then the Losi 5. Weight is HP loss and makes it easier to break this is why I keep my HPI 5bss at no more then 25 pounds! The DBXL is 28.7 pounds and the Losi 5 is 38 pounds according to Losi web site.

I have all so heard about the pins breaking like mentioned above. I wish Losi would get on the band wagon and make a roller kit with out engine and radio. I have never found anything that did not need some up grades be a RTR or a kit there is always a weak point that has to be upgraded. Keep in mind the companies do not make a lot on the vehicle but on sell parts for them.

I have a RCMK CR300F stock great motor but parts are not as plentiful as the CY or Zenoah. When the RCMK XCR1000 hits the streets wonder how easy it will be to get parts for it. I have a few more months before I get anything so I will keep my eye on the RCMK XCR1000.

I have a RCMK CR300F stock great motor but parts are not as plentiful as the CY or Zenoah. When the RCMK XCR1000 hits the streets wonder how easy it will be to get parts for it. I have a few more months before I get anything so I will keep my eye on the RCMK XCR1000.

http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php/online-store Has the guys to take care of any motor mods or parts that you would ever need.
The RCMK is the one of the best buggies on the planet if you can get your hands on one.

http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php/online-store Has the guys to take care of any motor mods or parts that you would ever need.
The RCMK is the one of the best buggies on the planet if you can get your hands on one.

Gizmo is out of just about all the RCMK air cooled engine parts and has been for a while. Been waiting on a set of cases. DDM has the top end kit at a price I am not willing to pay. I am hoping and think they have a good chance to becoming much more popular then parts will be easier to get.
Thanks
Jeff

I know several folks that owned a 1/5 scale Red Cat as well as did much research on them and I assure you I will not buy one.

Know nothing about the Himoto 1/5 scale but I do know about their nitro stuff and all so would not buy a Himoto.

If you get either one of this keep us posted.

I'm in a similar situation and have a hankering for a 1:5 4WD Sand Rail. I have done hours and hours of research and come to the conclusion that the http://www.redcatracing.com/Rampage-Chimera?sc=17&category=18362 Chimera aka the http://www.himotoracing.com/product/truck/petrol/truck_p005/details.php Desert King is simply a better car all round and as a added bonus cheaper.

This isn't a statement of fact of course I'm still a newbie and would appreciate your input.

the only place you'll read that the redcat/himoto are better than the dbxl is the redcat fanboy forum...simply isn't true.
you get what you pay for and in this industry it applies heavily

losi bought the dbxl from rcmk with their own spec's so i'd expect quite a few parts will be the same

I'm in a similar situation and have a hankering for a 1:5 4WD Sand Rail. I have done hours and hours of research and come to the conclusion that the http://www.redcatracing.com/Rampage-Chimera?sc=17&category=18362 Chimera aka the http://www.himotoracing.com/product/truck/petrol/truck_p005/details.php Desert King is simply a better car all round and as a added bonus cheaper.

This isn't a statement of fact of course I'm still a newbie and would appreciate your input.

I have the Redcat XBE and I had to do a couple of things right out of the box.
The servo for the steering is crap. The bearings in mine went to crap after 2 runs the lipos was good for about 6 charges before one went bad. I also added 7075rc axle carriers. I know that buying cheap has a price tag to it. I had the servo waiting so I replaced it after the first run. The bearings going to sh:t was a new one to me so I had to order new ones and went with stainless. I also had some good lipos on hand so the car only had to wait on the 7075rc axle carriers when the bearings went and for the bearings. I really like it now and it is alot of fun. I have had it a long time now and so I upgraded the motor with the Castle 1717 Green cased motor I think it is a 1580kv motor. I sometimes run it on 8s with the Castle XL2 esc. It is blazing fast!

I also own a Losi 5ive. I can say this about the two the Losi is very much high end is meant to be used right out of the box. I did have to replace the brake/motor servo on the 3rd tank of gas I moved the steering to the brake motor and bought the Savox HV high torque servo for the steering. Both the redcat and the losi stuff is fun and and cost money to play with and use. You will have fun with both. Just remember that they both cost the same. You will find that to get the Redcat to run with the Losi that you will spend as much if not more to get it to perform like a Losi. I still have the crappy shocks on the Redcat. Losi 5ive shocks are sweet and The DBXL buggy can use them a you see alot of that. The redcat is not able to do this. So no matter how much you spend on the Redcat it will still have poor shocks.
There is no such thing a good rc 1/5 that is cheap. You will upgrade to get it nice, and the foundation of the rc is what will be the factor when you get it to run with the big boy toys.
Here is my Losi 5ive that is stock with a Losi pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks