thread locker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleguy301

I am in the process of taking my FG apart and looking to clean it up and add some extra stuff:D

I was told to use green loctite but the problem is it is hard to find. I have 1 tube and I also figured on using some blue loctite.

Will that be alright?

Also to seal up the muffler, what does people use? Do you loctite that in place? Or do you use anything else?

I just got the clearance DDM exhaust (part fd140 the chrome one) in the mail today. Anything I need to know?

Blue loctite is fine for the majority of things - it holds without really sealing, or you can remove the bolt again.
Red is more permanent and much more difficult to remove, normally with heat and possibly a hammer.
If I'm understanding correctly, green loctite is IMPOSSIBLE to remove without a blowtorch, hammer and a lot of luck - don't use it unless you really don't need to remove that screw again.
I loctite the bolts into the exhaust, again blue, but some may use a good gasket sealer.

Check very carefully, but I think I'm right on the loctite thing - DON'T use green unless you never want to remove it again.
Al.

I thought that green was some pretty tough stuff. My local Ace doesn't carry it any more.

I have used the green on some stuff llast year, so I will know when I get to it;)

thanks for the info.

+1 on atoms response, Green is the strongest stuff and a no use zone for rc stuff, you will have to replace bolts everytime you have to undo something.

blue is ideal for almost everything on the buggy. maybe red for inlet manifold (if you use a billet intake) but thats about it. no point using any loctite on exhaust as the heat would melt any loctite.

I don't even have red anymore, use blue for everything.

if its on a part easy to get to then i use blue bits harder to get to that involve stripping half the car down to get to that would wreck a days bashing then i use red

Loctite

Light blue - nut lock 242 light duty (servo screws and such)
Dark blue - thread lock 248 medium duty (bulkhead, shock towers ect)
Dark green - bearing retainer 601 or 603 heavy duty (gears, wheel squares, wheel nuts (only for the final lol) and anything else you really don't want to come undone - your wallet for example.)

I've never used the red stuff and I've never had to loctite exhaust manifold (Header?) bolts.

Just to add, the 601/603 bearing retainer is only used on the gear grub screws and such, not on the shaft and lets not forget, it won't work in plastic.

It depends what you want to do.
If you really want something in tight, but with the (probable!) option of removing it, use RED.
If you want it fairly tight, and don't want to wreck any tools undoing it normally, but with the possible risk it might loosen, use BLUE.
Al.

Loctite

Light blue - nut lock 242 light duty (servo screws and such)
Dark blue - thread lock 248 medium duty (bulkhead, shock towers ect)
Dark green - bearing retainer 601 or 603 heavy duty (gears, wheel squares, wheel nuts (only for the final lol) and anything else you really don't want to come undone - your wallet for example.)

I've never used the red stuff and I've never had to loctite exhaust manifold (Header?) bolts.

Nice 1 :lol::lol: Will have to try it to keep the missus out :lol::lol:

I use blue on everything metal to metal. And use red only on my grubs for my pinion and spur. Where I don;t use locktight I use ZAPII to seal the fastener head to the object its in. This keeps it from backing out.
Now, all my parts are metal for the gears so, if I need to remove them I can heat them up to pop the grubs out. If things were plastic It would be hard to heat them up for removal.
Remember all our fasteners are steel and the parts are aluminum. Steel to aluminum will cause a bit of electrolysis which will likely cold weld due to the aluminum corroding them a bit together anyway.

Locktight is a must on alloy motor mounts!!!

Oh, and if using locktight make sure not to use the item until it sets up or its a waist.;)

blue on absolutley anything and everything metal to metal, never use loctite for bolts or screws that go into plastic as it will deteriorate the plastic and have the opposite effect for what you want it for.

as for whats best well depends on your aplication. for rc blue is more than enough for almost every task, don't have to worry about destroying bolts or tools when using it.

get some good quality blue stuff, I find the FG blue loctite is the best ive ever come accross.

+1 on blue an the rest I have never used on any r/c

I have used these in heavy construction equiptment repairs many of times.
red needs heat to remove most of the time I have seen bolts break off at the head .then your drilling stuff out.
green is a bearing mount alot thicker.dark green is a retaining compound thicker yet. if you really do not want to get it a part use these.

If you need anything more than blue you better find what the problen is ,becuz you stuff doesn't match up.

+1 and well said, if blue doesn't do the job somethings wrong!

I still say green for the grub screws on your gears and wheels squares because there is nothing worse than being 25 mins into a 30 min final and a square or gear comes loose. I only use genuine loctite and in most cases like has already been said blue is perfect for most things but paranoia creeps in and the green stuff comes out.

I found out wear I put the green stuff in. It wasnt a bad find but is was in the wheel squares and gears. Maybe that is wear I got the idea from using green.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

I still say green for the grub screws on your gears and wheels squares because there is nothing worse than being 25 mins into a 30 min final and a square or gear comes loose. I only use genuine loctite and in most cases like has already been said blue is perfect for most things but paranoia creeps in and the green stuff comes out.

I only use blue & have trouble getting the grub screws undone on the gears & squares :( Any tips??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks