Tips for FG comp build out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandT

Folks

I will be receiving the FG Baja Comp tomorrow and as and when the busy schedule permits, I will start the buildout. I had an option to get it prebuild but I chose to do it myself.

Any tips/pointers you think I should keep in mind while building ?

BTW, I received the set of hydros and what a piece of engineering they are . Quality is simply awesome with great finish. I heard they work better than the cables.. There are at least 50 different pieces in the bag with handful of instructions. That is the only piece worries me :D

sure

Since have flown rc helis and some scale ships, i guess knows how important thread lock could be :) . Do you use blue locktite or something different.
I will difinitely post pictures and get you the brand name for hydro

Nice one...blue on almost all.

Look through the threads on hear as i think i saw something about blocking 3 holes up as they let dirt into the bearings and belt.

Yep, the main tip I would give you would be to plug the holes on the diff housing. Dirt will get in there and eventually cause your bearings to seize which could lead to a drive train failure. I had a bearing seize on me which caused the cog pulley to overheat and fail. The pictures may look bad, but the only thing that needed replacing was the cog pulley, surprisingly the belt was still in good shape after all that.
View attachment 3017View attachment 3018View attachment 3019View attachment 3020View attachment 3021

Last edited:
Yep, the main tip I would give you would be to plug the holes on the diff housing. Dirt will get in there and eventually cause your bearings to seize which could lead to a drive train failure. I had a bearing seize on me which caused the cog pulley to overheat and fail. The pictures may look bad, but the only thing that needed replacing was the cog pulley, surprisingly the belt was still in good shape after all that.
View attachment 3017View attachment 3018View attachment 3019View attachment 3020View attachment 3021

Amazing what a rubber belt can do to aluminum!!

pwaicon

Thanks . That is a valuable tip. I am going to do exactly you suggested.

ROne21 - I grabbed the one LSAlloy was selling here. could not pass on a $500 discount. :)

Ah ok....you're the one. I was going to get that exact buggy but you beat me to it. We were sending PMs back and forth but when I was ready to buy, I PMed him to ask for his number so we could setup a payment method, buggy was gone. Congrats.

This was what i was refering to, as i had read this thread but could not find it....nice one pwaicon...

Sure, the grub screws are 4mm. All I had to do was tap the holes, the holes were already the right size for the tap. Actually it was a cunt hair bigger, but since these are just plugs and nothing structural you will be fine. Just remember to use Loctite on the grub screw and they will stay put.

Brake

Picture below. I believe this is FG brand and it says MACURA in the back

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 31
  • brake2.jpg
    brake2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 33
Sure, the grub screws are 4mm. All I had to do was tap the holes, the holes were already the right size for the tap. Actually it was a cunt hair bigger, but since these are just plugs and nothing structural you will be fine. Just remember to use Loctite on the grub screw and they will stay put.

Only a cunt hair bigger..................lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks