Tire/rim removal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KauseKaos

I have a set of FG white stadium rims and the foams on one tire shifted. Can I just boil the tire to get the glue off and reuse the foams? I forgot to glue the foam to the rim. They are dam near brand new. I also wanna dye the white rims a different color.

I have boiled 1/8 and 1/10 scale tires to some degree of success, I have no idea if you can have the same luck with the hard ass compound FG uses? I have heard you can, but I've never tried it...

I have boiled 1/8 and 1/10 scale tires to some d
HTML:
egree of success, I have no idea if you can have the same luck with the hard ass compound FG uses? I have heard you can, but I've never tried it...

Guess ill just have to try it. It should be that same though right? Just stick them in a pot and cookem right?

off topic, sorry mate ;) but how do you dye the rims?????????????

That I haven't tried either just read about it on other forums, they were dying 1/8th scale proline white rims so I don't see why the same process wouldn't work for 5th scale white rims.

Last edited:
That's what I have done with my Savage tires, but they are about 100 times softer than the FG tires... Have you tried the He-Man method, and just use some manliness on it?

That's what I have done with my Savage tires, but they are about 100 times softer than the FG tires... Have you tried the He-Man method, and just use some manliness on it?

That I haven't tried cause I didn't wanna risk breaking the tire. Guess ill try the one that's jacked up first and if it goes smoothly ill do the rest.

off topic, sorry mate ;) but how do you dye the rims?????????????

There's a couple of older threads if you look up 'dying wheels' or something similar.
Pipeous or Timmahh gave most of the answers I think.
Basically ensure the wheels clean and grease free, use an old pot you don't want any more, and on a stove you've no problems if it stains !!!
Bring the water to the boil, stir in the dye, and suspend the wheels / whatever in the boiling dye mix.
The longer you leave it, the more colour it takes in, so time the duration each wheel has.
Whilst it's in the water, turn it from time to time, to avoid surface bubbles, which will limit dying in that area.

Remove, cool, rinse off, there you go.

DON'T FORGET !!! Wear gloves or you could have REAL green fingers, or whatever the colour is !!

Al.

There's a couple of older threads if you look up 'dying wheels' or something similar.
Pipeous or Timmahh gave most of the answers I think.
Basically ensure the wheels clean and grease free, use an old pot you don't want any more, and on a stove you've no problems if it stains !!!
Bring the water to the boil, stir in the dye, and suspend the wheels / whatever in the boiling dye mix.
The longer you leave it, the more colour it takes in, so time the duration each wheel has.
Whilst it's in the water, turn it from time to time, to avoid surface bubbles, which will limit dying in that area.

Remove, cool, rinse off, there you go.

DON'T FORGET !!! Wear gloves or you could have REAL green fingers, or whatever the colour is !!

Al.

cheers alan top man :cup-1::cup-1:

don't forget,if there are any flaws e.g scratches or scuffs on the rim these will be highlighted when you dye them.
If yo have glued the tyres using super glue(crazy glue) its just a case of boiling them for five mins and the glue becomes brittle and looses its compound,then you leave to cool and it should break off.Worked for me.
J

yup and dye doesn't go into glue so it has to come off the rims. ritt or tintex fabric dye...

you can also try spray on fabric dye. I carry a number of different colors from Automagic for dying carpets that are stained beyond saving. I am not sure how well it will penetrate into the plastic but will always be better than painting them and not much more expensive than a can of paint.

I've dyed a lot of stuff over the years. tintex is what I use mostly. and I have done seat belts in custom rods to match new interiors and things like that. I believe the heat helps the dye sink in deeper. I know I've done wings on buggies and it doesn't show even getting scratched when flipping

I haven't tried with those. I tried to remove some old on road tires and even when I had the glue off both sides, I could not get the old tire off without cutting the rubber so I glued them back on and bought new rims.

I would think it would be just like doing a 1/8 monster truck tire. acetaone (nail polish remover) would be my choice. put some in a sealable container, put the tires in and seal the container for a day or 2. fumes will break down the glue. boiling is dangerous because the foams hold the boiling water so be careful.

Are you going to paint your nails while you wait? ....
You need ACETONE or Nail Polish REMOVER.

I used a combination of both boiling and acetone to remove the MT tyre off my alloy when I had to replace it. I still had to gouge one part out, as the glue had set that hard - it's not easy. Being alloy, there was no damage, and I got the wheel clean without problem, but if it were plastic, I have my doubts.

Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks