Tires and tire choice for MCD rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Handsome

Hi
I have a small problem. Tires are expensive and I cant find something that give me good traction and lifetime for the buck.

The MCD rally asfalt tires are either to hard (white spot are almost drift tires...) or to soft (blue spot)
The soft ones wear out way to quickly. I have not tried the MCD slicks but from what i heard they do not last long...

Question 1:
How can I remove the old used tires from the MCD rim to reuse the rim? I do want to run with the HEX in the middle.

Question 2:
Will the FG tires like PMT or similar fit on the MCD rims and can I find any tires that are similar to the slicks used for FG truck racing. The slicks last forever (lots of rubber) and tracktion is good.

Feel free to write anything regarding tires for tarmac/gravel.

Fredrik

Last edited:
Fredrik

I have used the old red spot tires (no longer made by MCD) and they would only last two race meetings - about two hours of track time!

The new blue spot 'thermal' compound tires are supposed to last much longer - infact the winner of the MCD Topsa race series in the UK in 2007 only used one set of tires all year.

I only received a set after the last race meeting and can only say that there was no noticable tire wear after 20 minutes of (practice) track time. Apparently they need to get warm before they work correctly.

The problem with the high tire wear is down to the car set-up, you need to stop or reduce the car from drifting. I have installed one of the (very expensive) limited-slips diffs in the front and this has totally transformed the handling and reduced the drifting to a minimum. Using heavy weight silicon diff oil or grease in the standard MCD front diff will give similar results. One result of this upgrade is that I can still use my old red spot tires despite the fact that they are bald and down to the canvas in places. Even on a damp cold track there is still plenty of grip!!!

I recently removed a set of tires using superglue de-bonder and a small craft knife. Simply apply a small amount of de-bonder to where the tire meets the rim and allow to soak for a few minutes and then carefully cut the tire away from the rim. Only do a few centimetres at a time though.

FG, PMT, GRP tires and inserts will fit the MCD rims although the outside diameter of the tires is slightly smaller than the MCD ones. I have not seen anyone race with slicks on their 2WD saloons (FG EVO, HARM SX03 etc) so cannot comment on how long they will last.

Clive

some danish guy have mounted bluespot slicks on his - the new ones - and he says they last very long.

I think the new compunds are very good -

i have adaptor - so that i can run fg rims/tires on my mcd

Great input, would like more info

Thanks, great input.
Regarding the silicon oil in the front diff. Do you know where I can get it and exactly how much and what type i should use. I would love to get some input since I don't have many to ask about this car.

What surface did the TOPSAseries go on and what type of tyres (slicks other) do they use int the series?

More... Can you suggest a good tarmac setup regarding toe in/out in the front and rear to for the slicks to get the right tire temp?

Regarding FG tires
I have tried modified FG wheels but the offset is different so the car becomes about 20 mm wider (or more), leaving the tires outside the body and wheel angles "corrupt".

Looking forward to more info. Thanks again!

Fredrik

Fredrik

I have used the old red spot tires (no longer made by MCD) and they would only last two race meetings - about two hours of track time!

The new blue spot 'thermal' compound tires are supposed to last much longer - infact the winner of the MCD Topsa race series in the UK in 2007 only used one set of tires all year.

I only received a set after the last race meeting and can only say that there was no noticable tire wear after 20 minutes of (practice) track time. Apparently they need to get warm before they work correctly.

The problem with the high tire wear is down to the car set-up, you need to stop or reduce the car from drifting. I have installed one of the (very expensive) limited-slips diffs in the front and this has totally transformed the handling and reduced the drifting to a minimum. Using heavy weight silicon diff oil or grease in the standard MCD front diff will give similar results. One result of this upgrade is that I can still use my old red spot tires despite the fact that they are bald and down to the canvas in places. Even on a damp cold track there is still plenty of grip!!!

I recently removed a set of tires using superglue de-bonder and a small craft knife. Simply apply a small amount of de-bonder to where the tire meets the rim and allow to soak for a few minutes and then carefully cut the tire away from the rim. Only do a few centimetres at a time though.

FG, PMT, GRP tires and inserts will fit the MCD rims although the outside diameter of the tires is slightly smaller than the MCD ones. I have not seen anyone race with slicks on their 2WD saloons (FG EVO, HARM SX03 etc) so cannot comment on how long they will last.

Clive

Fredrik

FG make a clear diff grease which some of the MCD drivers use. I have tried 20,000 weight oil in the front diff of my Race Runner and even this is an improvement over the standard MCD grease. I have not tried heavier diff oil or thicker grease in the front (or rear) diff of my Rally car, only a limited-slip diff. Try 50,000 weight silicon oil in the front diff first and adjust accordingly (more or less oil or a heavier or lighter weight oil). You will find the change in the handling of the car strange at first - the car will not drift as much and the front end has far more traction out of the turns (corners/bends).

You should have no trouble finding heavier weight diff oil as it is used in the diffs of the 1/8th scale nitro off-road cars.

The cars were raced on asphalt (tarmac) and a 'control' tire was used, initially the red spot asphalt tire and then the new blue spot compound asphalt tire. A 'control' tire was used in the hope of keeping the costs down.

I have only been able to do limited testing with the new blue compound tires and on the day I used them the track was damp and the temperature was only just above freezing. I could not get any heat in them - hopefully the weather will have improved for the start of the new race season in March!

The UK MCD importer (who also races the cars) said it would need a few laps of the track before the tires warmed-up and became sticky. At this point the grip would be perfect.

As for the set-up I would suggest a few degrees of toe-out at the front and a few degrees of toe-in at the rear.

The following link (to the UK MCD importer) provides some useful hints and tips on the cars: http://www.kingcobra.co.uk/news/news.php?category=MCD Racing

I have asked them to add set-ups for the cars (both on and off-road) to the site and they will hopefully do so in the near future.

Clive

Thanks Clive
I missread the your first message about the FG tires.
So the FG tires and insersts do fit on the rims!

The reason why they don't run slicks on the 2WD cars is that its not "legal" for competion, at least not here in Sweden..(if i remember right)

Well i will buy some blue spot slick to test based on your text. I think it will be good fun!

These are the ones right?
http://www.mcd4wd.com/page3/page8/files/page8-1026-full.html

Thanks for all the help
Fredrik

Last edited:
some danish guy have mounted bluespot slicks on his - the new ones - and he says they last very long.

I think the new compunds are very good -

i have adaptor - so that i can run fg rims/tires on my mcd

if it was me that you where refering to - im don't know if MCD tires fit FG rims.

But i can use FG wheels (FG tires on FG rimes) om my mcd because ig got an adaptor.

hey.

someone have dug my internetcabel over - so i have to go to my school to post a "pic"

I cant take a picture of my adaptor. But i can show a little paint drawing i have made.

The outer square fits the fg rim - and the hex in the middle fits my axel

Attachments

• Unavngivet.JPG
    Unavngivet.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 39
Wont fit...

Hi again.
Nice picture. I have the same adaptor and it fits, however the offset on the FG Rims is different from the offset on the MCD so the result is that the weels will stick out about 10mm wider then the standard rims unless you carry some other specials. Do you have longer wheel axel also? If not the wheels wont fiteven with the adapter...

Hint borrow some wheels from a friend and test it (put the nut on also) before you buy a set of tires.

Fredrik

hmmm, now im not sure that it is FG'rims i have - when you say that.

how can i see if i have FG or MCD rims - they look the same to me.

Maybe if i have a set of both i can tell the difrence

I got hold of a lot of used fg wheels & tyres with the idea of making them fit the mcd rally but there is no easy way as the fg wheel offset causes them to stick out of the wheel arches (by quite a bit) plus, as already posted the axle is way to short & the wrong size on the mcd rally.

I was hoping that both the FG and MCD wheels would fit the new Redcat on road car. Any such luck?

I'm reading to figure out myself. I am picking up my redcat rally this week and was going to order a set of the mcd gravel tires, but I guess the mcd rims aren't fg squares by what I read above.... hmmm now what to do?

I have two different rim types with the same ET - one of them are with the hexagon and the others with the square fitting. Actually I don't know witch one that are the "original MCD". I would like to get hold of some (hard)tires perfect for drifting on tarmac and with good lifetime. Any tips ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks