Took my Firehammer 23cc engine apart, does it look okay? (Pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small2Large

I've been having a lot of trouble with this engine. It doesn't run good unless its super rich, but then its so rich at idle that it dies.

So I finally got the courage to take it apart. Attached is what I got.

I believe it is a CY23 since it has a 2 bolt head.

Is then engine worth fixing? What do I replace? While fixing it, can I upgrade it with a big bore kit? Is fixing this even worth it?

I can buy a new CY27 for $140 so am I just wasting my time?

IMG_3421.jpg
IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

What do the numbers say ..stamped in the side of the cylinder?
You can rebuild what you have.....I would redo the bottom end....New engine bearings..
oil seals..case half gasket....get a different head kit....I would guess you have a 28mm
soild crank....You may be clost to 100 bucks to rebuild......or you could buy new....
Like I mentioned before I like the G260rc engine......If you want new then buy new...
save what you got and rebuild it another day...then you will have a spare engine....
Your looking at maybe 40 dollars from being new.....But only you can decide which way to go.......slawhammer

What do the numbers say ..stamped in the side of the cylinder?
You can rebuild what you have.....I would redo the bottom end....New engine bearings..
oil seals..case half gasket....get a different head kit....I would guess you have a 28mm
soild crank....You may be clost to 100 bucks to rebuild......or you could buy new....
Like I mentioned before I like the G260rc engine......If you want new then buy new...
save what you got and rebuild it another day...then you will have a spare engine....
Your looking at maybe 40 dollars from being new.....But only you can decide which way to go.......slawhammer

Only thing I see stamped in the side of the finned cylinder head is "32".

I can get a brand new g260rc for ~$135 with no clutch. Looks like my current clutch should fit though. $35 more for new versus rebuilding is a definite lean towards new, especially since it will be a more powerful engine.

If you aren't in a hurry, keep watch on Daves Deal of the Day. Sometimes an engine will pop up for a great price: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6250/.f

Also, use the LSF code and it'll give you an additional 5% off even on deals.

Looks to me like you have a CY. I see a CY sticker on the flywheel.

How low has dave's engine been before? Is $135 for a new g260rc not a good deal? It does not include clutch and exhaust, but I can use the parts from my cy23.

$135 is a great deal...I would buy it for that..in a heart beat....your old clutch will work
fine.....
...DDM has had Cy & Zen engine's for a long time.....Slawhammer

$135 is a great deal...I would buy it for that..in a heart beat....your old clutch will work
fine.....
...DDM has had Cy & Zen engine's for a long time.....Slawhammer

Thanks. Also, I had a typo in my previous post.

I meant to ask what was the previous sale prices DDM had on engines, but I found it.

Looks like they had the g260r for $179 about 4 or 5 days ago. It included clutch and exhaust, but still not as good as $135.

For starters,where did you see a G260r for 135? Secondly, by the looks of your engine,it seems that the head gasket has blown!(third pic ,left side) try a new gasket for now and see how you get on.
J.

For starters,where did you see a G260r for 135? Secondly, by the looks of your engine,it seems that the head gasket has blown!(third pic ,left side) try a new gasket for now and see how you get on.
J.

They are on ebay for $149.99 plus $25 ship. The guy selling them lives about 20 miles away from me and allows local pick up. If you use Bing.com, you can save 8% on any buy it now auction on ebay.

Which part is the head gasket and would a blown headgasket make the engine require a rich setting in order to run right at full throttle?

The head gasket is the blue paper seal that is on the bottom of the head that seals the head to the crank case. If its blown slightly it will let air in which then needs you to set the barb rich to compensate.You will have really low crank pressure resulting in bad starting(thats if you can start it),poor performance,bogging,etc,etc.
A gasket will only cost you a few quid/bucks.
If you can get a G260rc for that price I myself would buy one.DDM is the cheapest place I know and he is knocking them out for $224.00.
J.

The head gasket is the blue paper seal that is on the bottom of the head that seals the head to the crank case. If its blown slightly it will let air in which then needs you to set the barb rich to compensate.You will have really low crank pressure resulting in bad starting(thats if you can start it),poor performance,bogging,etc,etc.
A gasket will only cost you a few quid/bucks.
If you can get a G260rc for that price I myself would buy one.DDM is the cheapest place I know and he is knocking them out for $224.00.
J.

Thanks for the info. Looking closer at the headgasket, I don't see any torn or missing areas. Could it still be blown even though it looks intact?

That kit Voo Doo..recomended will work great...I have used that kit my self....
Just split the lower case..replace the engine bearings & oil seals...get a .020 thousands
copper head gasket...new side case gasket......use a good sealant on the gaskets to seal every thing.......You use what you like for seatant......But I have used for many years.....Parmatex #2 ..(sealant)..blackish brown in color..apply thin coat of sealant
both sides of the gaskets...yes the copper gasket as well....when done with the engine build..let cure 24 hours..for the sealant to seal up good and proper.........
if you don't you will get a leak later on......Ask Csp1971 ...about a new engine rebuild
he did...with not getting enough sealant or letting it cure for 24 hours......
In short buy that head kit & engine bearings...............
If you need help here on this..there are plenty of people to help you along the way on the engine build........Just my opinion..slawhammer

Alright, i'm defintely interested in the kit. Where can I buy the engine bearings and oil seals?

Also, after doing a conversion like this is the engine pretty much new or are there still parts that could cause me trouble? This is assuming my carb is good (which I'm pretty sure it is).

Lastly, will using this kit make it to a g260 in performance?

DDM has the engine bearings ..oil seals...lower case gaskets..copper head gasket ....
every thing you will need to rebuild the engine DDM has for the engine rebuils....
When you take the lower case apart..clean it real good ..I use brake clean...
You will be real close ..if not better...to the performance of the G260rc engine........
Like I mentioned were here to help you build the engine....Building the engine is half the fun of the hobby....You can then say I built that engine..it sure runs great....
....Slawhammer..
PS..Your still going to be at $100 dollars for the rebuild....vs the $135 for new engine ready to go....

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks