Tools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt52

Hi, im new to 1/5 scale and would like more information on what tools i need to maintain my r/c, looking for links to webistes, looking for price quality etc. any info really would be helpfull

hey there welcome to the forum im not sure what use it will be but for my fg touring car i've bought a number of different tools packs of spanners different screw driver sets, just bought an electric hand screwdriver so good to use gets in all the little places thats hard to get screws out. sorry if its not much help just thought id say hi n say what i use mainly

I would say a good quality set of allen keys as cheap ones will round and destroy grub screws in no time.

a small spanner set...5mm-13mm

good quality screwdriver set...remember to check philips head or posidrive heads...use the correct one.

some good pliers/snips etc will also come in handy

a 1/4" socket set is good too..

a huge hammer and bit lump of wood...(great for straightening alloy when it bends)

thats a basic tool kit and should keep you going ...but you will no doubt find more and more other tools that will be handy and it can be as addictive as the cars themselves

also depends what kind of bolts is on your model dude, example, ive switched some of my standard hex bolts over to to torx bolts for the extra strength when fastening & less chance of of stripping them.

but as others have said.. for the least you gunna want:

Hex set
socket set
spark plug socket piece (or spanner / adj. spanner)
thread lock (a must!)
screwdriver(s)

your best bet fella, see what size nuts/bolts your model uses (will be around 4 or 5 different sizes at most) then get the tools you need for those sizes :)

but like i say, torx bolts are the nutz for places where you want/need the extra strength, ie: engine mounts / diff holders etc :)

I am Tring to Decide to get the EDS Allen Set or the Hudy Set.....Any Input. I currently use Bondhus which are also great, But I have heard that the EDS and Hudys will hold up longer... Thanks

You Lost Me!! Go have a Brain Injury from an IED Blast in Iraq and I can comprehend things Correctly

I find myself regularly replacing or requiring specific sizes, as these have been used more than others.
It appears Hudy tools (and I presume EDS) are very good quality - good quality (precise and resistent to wear) are necessary - but am not certain how easy it is to replace specific sizes without going through the whole exercise again.
The Hobbythek option looks both flexible in selection and good value as well.

I don't think anything harsh was meant by 'hammer'. I find myself using one, with blocks of wood when I can't be bothered heating up an alloy piece, when installing bearings .... !!
Definitely do need hammers ... unfortunately!

Al.

ya cant go wrong with a set of these mate:

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=7834
PB_212.LH-10_RB.jpg

Yup they a bit pricey at around £50 for the long or £37 for short but they have a lifetime guarantee for each key so worth the price just for this (ive snapped 1 & was replaced no quetions asked within 1 week!)

ive also tried a few other hex drivers in the past (EDS/HUDY/Titanium) all of which have snapped or slipped at some point! :( but so far these pb keys are the dogs danglys so to speak :)

Well I bought a set of the EDS 6 piece hex set for 60 shipped. I have read nothing but great things so we will try them out..... should get them This week......:cool:

I went the pricy way and bought myself a complete set of Hudy tools.
It might have been to much money but I have never had any problems, and I must say I have solved problems where other tools would not help me!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks