track surface.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo

just wondering what other clubs are using as track surface, i,ve been thinking of bmx track type grit, i raced bmx up until last year and i,d say it drains well but is very messy when wet, then theres astro turf but do,s this sacrafice grip when wet? then theres good old dirt, but that could just end up in a mud bath most of the year, or tarmac check the pics :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• bild5t.jpg
    bild5t.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 18
  • bild9k.jpg
    bild9k.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 20
if you go tarmac, then make the jumps mellow cuz if you stuff it, things are going to break. tires wear out really fast. you'd end up running like those extra hard hostiles to get some life. the local bmx here is half dirt and half tarmac. I don't go there much anymore because of the tarmac.

personally I like good old fashioned dirt racing. ya it ruts up and crap but it's offroad. I race on road pavement for smoother surfaces. give me a good old rough dirt track anyday. that stuff usually dains well too. clay is fine for dry climates but the worst thing you can use in a wet area (I live in the lower rainland on the wet coast...well that's the local joke anyway, lower mainland west coast) and the clay tracks suck when wet. that crap sticks to everything and cars weigh double after a run

if you go tarmac, then make the jumps mellow cuz if you stuff it, things are going to break. tires wear out really fast. you'd end up running like those extra hard hostiles to get some life. the local bmx here is half dirt and half tarmac. I don't go there much anymore because of the tarmac.

personally I like good old fashioned dirt racing. ya it ruts up and crap but it's offroad. I race on road pavement for smoother surfaces. give me a good old rough dirt track anyday. that stuff usually dains well too. clay is fine for dry climates but the worst thing you can use in a wet area (I live in the lower rainland on the wet coast...well that's the local joke anyway, lower mainland west coast) and the clay tracks suck when wet. that crap sticks to everything and cars weigh double after a run

no pipe, the tarmac thing is out the question it would cost a fortune,and be a car killer.we need an all year round track but in the uk we have very little summer months,and lots of rain deeside is sand based and its good in most conditions but hard on parts.

I hate sand. my last trip to the pits was about 15 mins of play, 2 dead bearings and a busted pull start that was full of sand...

I've raced 1/10 on outdoor carpet but indoors and traction was amazing, aside from catching a string from the edge or a seam that wraps around driveshafts. even raced on a bark mulch track.... jumps don't much last. looks like brown snow when you hit them... poof.

if you want to build a hard track on the cheap, rototill phosphourus into the soil when you build. the dirt will harden like blue groove/cement. just need to use a leaf blower to clean it up. or a broom. downfall is it's hard to make changes after.

Most clubs in the UK are astroturf because once it's laid it'll be almost maintenence free. With a dirt track - which is the best surface to race on you will need to grade the track every so oftern or it will too bad to race on.

build the track out of dirt, see if you can get fine chipped rubber (recycled tires like they use around swingsets on playgrounds) and rototill it into the areas where your worried about drainage, as well as installing french drains in the bad spots

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks