Trouble starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil_Sheep

Hey guys, i'm having trouble starting my car, it seems i have to empty the tank, so theres little fuel in the engine, then it'll start, so i then have to quicker re-fuel the tank to keep it going, once its going it runs fine.
I've tried 5 different plugs, with no joy.

This same thing happened with my other engine not sure whats causing it.

Anyone suggest anything?

It seems like there to much fuel going into the engine

My first thought (based upon some troubleshooting I did on my lawnmower); are you certain that you are not over-tightening the fuel cap?
With full tank, and the cap over-tightened, the tank cannot breath and a vacuum is pulled in the tank, therefore no fuel flows. Opening the fuel tank to 'remove the fuel', and no fuel, just air, allowed to start. (had the same problem with my lawnmower)....

Another thought is moisture in the fuel tank. When pouring out the contents of the tank, the water will exit first as it is heavier, leaving some fuel in the tank.

Good luck......

thats a wierd one.....do you have your clung line to the bottom of your carb and your return to the top

add 1/2 tank of gas and leave your cap off try to start it.....how old is your vehicle

Last edited:
Yup, fuel lines to the correct places,

Car is a few months old.

It was going fine, driving it around, then it took a tumble and the engine just cut out, cudnt start it again.

ok do you have spark? reset your coil gap

remove the fly wheel cover/pull starter.... this can be done while the engine remains in the vehicle

0025.jpg

....................Loosen the coils upper and lower bolts...................................................................

0033.jpg

...........on the fly wheel there is a area that is thicker/fatter than the rest of the fly wheel......

0043.jpg

........................................................that area you want under the coils magnets....................................................................

0053.jpg

.......................................slide a business card in between the coils magnet and the fat area of the fly wheel.....................................................

0063.jpg

...................leave the card, reinstall & tighten your upper and lower bolts on the coil and use some red locktite.......................

...............remove the card your gap is set...... spin the flywhell to make sure there are no high points were it might make contact with the magnet

0083.jpg

reinstall your flywheel cover ......bolts/screws your done
[/quote]

try a new plug first. its possible on the roll over you cracked the porcelin part of the plug. and it only takes a minute to check the plug with a new one.

then if you have no motor love, try the coil adjustment as hellya said. i too have seen the coils get moved from a roll over. the bolts just are a tad loose, and the jarring of the rollover, allows the coil to move.

Hey guys, i'm having trouble starting my car, it seems i have to empty the tank, so theres little fuel in the engine, then it'll start, so i then have to quicker re-fuel the tank to keep it going, once its going it runs fine.
I've tried 5 different plugs, with no joy.

This same thing happened with my other engine not sure whats causing it.

Anyone suggest anything?

It seems like there to much fuel going into the engine

Yup, fuel lines to the correct places,

Car is a few months old.

It was going fine, driving it around, then it took a tumble and the engine just cut out, cudnt start it again.

I'm confused? Which problem came 1st - These are two seperate problems. :helpsmilie:

That was the last time i ran it around before it wudnt start.

Took the air filter off and tried to start it, thought it may have been restricted air flow, found that when trying to start theres fuel spray coming out the carb, is this normal?

EDIT: Think i found the problem, stuck the stock can back on and it started up, and ran with the choke on, as soon as i opened the choke it cut out, i figure this means i have an air leak and the insulator block has warped, i'll replace it and the gaskets.

Could the air leak have caused a change in pressure which meant it wouldnt start with the tuned pipe? I hope when i change the block it'll still work with the tuned pipe.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks