Troubleshooting Clutch bell overheating and engine bogging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1/5 scale Exceed Hannibal. I crashed it pretty good the other day and afterwards all it did was rev the engine without going anywhere. I took the center differential out, didn't see anything wrong with it, and put it back in. Now the engine seems to be bogging and I can't get full power even going down hill and after a short run only about two minutes, my clutch bell is smoking hot. I've taken the center differential off several times since and can't see anything wrong. The car and gears roll smoothly but I can't get full power when running it and the clutch bell keeps overheating. Does anyone know what my problem could be?

I have never heard of this car but is it possible you got the pinion and spur gear mixed up and put them the wrong way around?
Just a guess?

Sounds like a clutch problem.
Might be sticking slightly - not working smoothly - and only partially engaging for some reason, hence the overheating.

Al.

Thanks for the information I'm going to take the clutch off and take a closer look at it. Is there anything i should be looking for that could cause it to malfunction?

More than likely you have a stretched or bust clutch spring.If not that when you had the bump the engine might have shifted causing the mesh to tighten or bend something.I'd go for the spring.
J

Sounds like a clutch problem.
Might be sticking slightly - not working smoothly - and only partially engaging for some reason, hence the overheating.

Al.
i have the clutch off now, ther is some dust from the clutch pads on the bottom of the housing, other than that i don't see any ovious things wrong. I think i will order a new clutch anyway..... DO YOU KNOW IF ALL THE 30CC ENGINES HAVE THE SAME CLUTCH? I LOOKED YESTERDAY ONLINE AND THEY HAD DIFFRENT RATINGS LIKE 6000 RMP AND 8000 RMP. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS?

More than likely you have a stretched or bust clutch spring.If not that when you had the bump the engine might have shifted causing the mesh to tighten or bend something.I'd go for the spring.
J
I just took the clutch off and didnt see anything wrong besides some clutch dust in the housing. the spring was very tight, i took the spring off and bearly got it back on. i am worried that the engine may have shifted like you said..... do you know of any troubleshooting ways i can check to see if that has happened? THANKS for your help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtpIIzvbqVU

Here ya go....looks a bit like a Redcat???

J
yes it kinda looks like a redcat, i wish it was since exceed is such a crappy company. i wouldnt recomend it to anyone, i have had nothing but problems with this truck. it came with a broken gear cover, the plastic gears it came with melted in the first 5 min of breaking in the engine, they were out of stock with the plastic gears for 6 months so i bought the al gears for $50 ONLY TO FIND OUT THEY WOULDNT FIT WITHOUT A NEW CENTER DIFF MOUNT, I BOUGHT THE MOUNT AFTER THE 6 MONTHS THAT IT WAS OUT OF STOCK ALSO FOR $100 ONLY TO FIND OUT IT HAS A MAJOR DISING FLAW..... THERE ARE NO SPACERS FOR THE MAIN 3 SCREWS THAT ATACH IT, SO WHEN YOU TIGHTEN THEM THE AL MOUNT BENDS AND CAUSES EVERYTHING TO BIND UP. THE PEOPLE THAT ARE THERE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ANYTHING AND JUST READ YOU WHAT IS ALREADY WRITTEN ON THE WEB SITE, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS THAT NEED ANSWERED BY SOMEONE WITH RC EXPERANCE YOU HAVE TO FIND A FORUM LIKE THIS TO GET ANY HELP. SO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM EXCEED!!!

I just took the clutch off and didnt see anything wrong besides some clutch dust in the housing. the spring was very tight, i took the spring off and bearly got it back on. i am worried that the engine may have shifted like you said..... do you know of any troubleshooting ways i can check to see if that has happened? THANKS for your help
the engine feels very secure to the chassis..... i was just thinking of ways to fix it if the engine has shifted and the only thing i could think of is to buy a new chassis and re attach everything to it, do you think this could fix a shifted engine? also so you know, everything seems to be moving smoothly, the center diff gears are all moving very smooth and the truck will roll smoothly. the engine just wont go past a sertain rmp, like half throtle..... even when driving down hill and after only about 2 min of driving the clutch bell is red hot.

Is the engine possibly not revving very high therefore the clutch is not fully engaging causing it to slip and generate heat?

Maybe the clutch is fine and it could be the engine not getting to maximum rpms?

Is the engine possibly not revving very high therefore the clutch is not fully engaging causing it to slip and generate heat?

Maybe the clutch is fine and it could be the engine not getting to maximum rpms?
I JUST STARTED THE TRUCK WITHOUT THE CLUTCH OR CENTER DIFF ON IT AND THE ENGINE RAN GOOD GETTING MAXIMUM RPM VERY EASY..... back to the drawing board i guess

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks