Turtle Racing Billet Air Filter Box Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch13k

Hi All,

Long time member here, but inactive for years. Long story, but finally started running my 5ive T 1.0 that I bought years ago. Now retired with an empty next, I'm really enjoy this thing. Mostly bashing and running at my home track. The environment is extremely dusty. I'm currently using the stock 5ive T 1.0 air filter. The round one. Been looking at the Turtle Racing Air Filter Box at DDM.

https://www.ddmracing.com/turtle-racing-billet-air-filter-box-losi-5ive-clamp-on

I'm mostly concerned with keeping the dust and dirt out. Not too concerned about additional power, but more power is always fun. My question, is the stock filter a good option for keeping the dirt and dust out or are there better options out there? Also, what does the Turtle Box bring to the table, more power, option for larger air filter, etc? It's currently on Deal of the Day at DDM. I was thinking of picking one up. I've seen multiple different options and was wonder what air filter is the best option with the Turtle Box for keeping the dust out?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Long time member here, but inactive for years. Long story, but finally started running my 5ive T 1.0 that I bought years ago. Now retired with an empty next, I'm really enjoy this thing. Mostly bashing and running at my home track. The environment is extremely dusty. I'm currently using the stock 5ive T 1.0 air filter. The round one. Been looking at the Turtle Racing Air Filter Box at DDM.

https://www.ddmracing.com/turtle-racing-billet-air-filter-box-losi-5ive-clamp-on

I'm mostly concerned with keeping the dust and dirt out. Not too concerned about additional power, but more power is always fun. My question, is the stock filter a good option for keeping the dirt and dust out or are there better options out there? Also, what does the Turtle Box bring to the table, more power, option for larger air filter, etc? It's currently on Deal of the Day at DDM. I was thinking of picking one up. I've seen multiple different options and was wonder what air filter is the best option with the Turtle Box for keeping the dust out?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rather the bolt on one.
I don't trust clamp on anything to stay clamped on.
Deal of the day here https://www.ddmracing.com/turtule-racing-billet-air-filter-box-losi-5ive

I have the hpi and the clamp on versions. The hpi filter is arguably the better filter set up, but it's a pain to take apart and clean. The clamp on version is much easier to maintain. The spider filters are pretty good. But I did learn something about that filter tech recently. The micro pores in the media do a wonderful job of filtration, but are very hard to clean effectively. Thus after several cleanings the flow rate starts to go down. This isn't an instant thing and could take a long time, but it is irreversible. One of my new saws uses the same filter technology, very good filtration, very expensive filter, they recommend some pretty strong chemicals to clean it and state after 8-10 cleanings the filter is trash from the micro pores getting clogged.
The only benefit foam filters have is the clean to near 100% everytime, but don't filter quite as much out, h3nce why we use triple stage filters with pre filters. The oiled filter is also highly dependent on the type of oil used and how fast that oil drys out. Once the oil is consumed there's very little effective filtration anymore.

Great info, thanks Sean!

My thought is, if it’s easier to take apart and clean, perhaps I’ll clean it more often. 😊 Could outweigh the benefits of a superior air filter? Just thinking out loud.

I went with the clamp on version and 3” Uni Filter. Also, picked up the TGN Redneck Pre-Filter and Outerwears.

Still curious about the advantages of the filter box. Wondering how much moving the air filter out of the path of debris being thrown from the tires helps keep things cleaner?

Good to know that the air filter stays much cleaner positioned in front of the engine.
Also, I picked up some FullForce Wheel Wells. Hopefully they will help too.

Good to know that the air filter stays much cleaner positioned in front of the engine.
Also, I picked up some FullForce Wheel Wells. Hopefully they will help too.
Bartolone also make plastic guards for the side of the cage, they stop alot of crap getting inside. They just screw to existing holes on the cage.

I just make my own out of 1mm polycarbonate sheet i have, same with rear arm mudguards

Hey All, Thanks for the responses.

Clubing, thanks for including the pics. Love the way that setup looks. Been following your current built thread as well. I picked up a Victory Pipe too. Got the Victory Pro Silenced version. I run at home mostly and have some great neighbors. We’re spread out, but trying to keep the noise down.

Also, having some leaky shock issues, and questions regarding shock oil and springs, but will start a new thread for that.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks