type of motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAHADAGR8

i just purchased a rovan buggy with a 30.5cc motor off ebay. my question is, how can i tell if the motor is a cy or a fuelie or are they the same? (IT doesn't SAY IN THE MANUAL)I cant purchase anything for the motor without knowing what i have. any and all advice would be great.

a true HPI Baja will have the HPI Fuelie motor, which is a CY 23, or 26cc, depending on the model.

the rovan, km and other cloners have imitation CY motors. they are pretty ehh overall. so your new rig wont have either a CY or Fuelie (which are the same really), it will have a cheap copy.
you really cant buy much that will fit or upgrade the motor as far as i know, and probably wouldnt really be worth doing impo. I would be interested in seeing if you actually have a 36mm bore or what it is if not 36mm.

best advice i can offer is to pull the stock motor, or run it till it pukes, then buy a Zenoah to put in it.

i,ve got an sq baja it came with a dzy 23cc it lasted me 9months and never missed a beat, cy,s can be good but they have had bore plating issues as i,ve just found out with a 26cc cy that lasted about 4tanks ,so cy,s can be hit or miss allso, just use your 30.5 it could last as i found with my dzy, but when it do,s give in go for a zenoah,

The only real difference in engine reliability and upgrade is whether the head has two hold down studs or 4.All those engines are basically the same as far as internal parts strength and reliability[cheap] as I found out to be evident even with my chinese made pocketbikes.If you have the 2 studded head it probably wont last too long if its used in extreme cold/heat or abused badly......If I was gonna upgrade a HPI Baja or my King Motors clone which is a piece of crap over my Monster Buggy as far as reliability ;-Id go for the 62cc Zenoah upgrade engine and get the power deficiency out of the way in one shot..

Last edited:
the engines are totally different. the transfer ports are hideously small on the clone motors. the cluctch housing is cast onto the crank housing. the dome area is shaped quite differently as well.

as far as you 2bolt/4bolt scenario, its only partially correct.

with a Quality motor like a Zenoah, the 2 bolt versions are very high quality. only the 4 bolt zenoahs are less likely to blow a cylinder gasket. other than that, the 4 bolts zens are not any less or more durable than the 2 bolt zens.

its not the number of cylinder bolts, but the quality of the materials and build. which is why the Zenoah brand motors are the top dog. the are made from high quality materials with well paid labor that take pride in their work.

the engines are totally different. the transfer ports are hideously small on the clone motors. the cluctch housing is cast onto the crank housing. the dome area is shaped quite differently as well.

as far as you 2bolt/4bolt scenario, its only partially correct.

with a Quality motor like a Zenoah, the 2 bolt versions are very high quality. only the 4 bolt zenoahs are less likely to blow a cylinder gasket. other than that, the 4 bolts zens are not any less or more durable than the 2 bolt zens.

its not the number of cylinder bolts, but the quality of the materials and build. which is why the Zenoah brand motors are the top dog. the are made from high quality materials with well paid labor that take pride in their work.

tim km and dzy transfer ports are identical to cy, ive worked on all three motors ,km bottom ends are a bit crud, i found rust on a crank of a allmost new km.

Fellas, Thank for the replys. really appriciate the advice.
As for now, the motor i have in this rovan seems to be pretty strong but, you have to realize i have nothing to compare it to. So, until it quits on me, im going to treat it like i paid a few hundred dollars for it.
I do have another question though. i ended up getting ahead of myself yesterday and purchased some parts. i got a turtle racing cluth system :D. As for the motor's blocks, are all these blocks the same (between the rovan, hpi, cy, and zen) which would make swapping parts simple?

its my understanding the cloners use the same type of carrier as the HPIs do. so the TR system should fit accordingly, but their is No gaurentee.

but if it were me, and i found out the TR HD Clutch wouldnt fit, id sell the cloner, and buy a HPI, just so i could use the TR setup. lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks