Uber ball link hd drive system for front diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmflytie

Has anyone out there purchsed the uber ball link system for the front diff to solve the problem of excessive wear on center to from diff cv joint ? I bought it and after just one 40 minutes run, lost all center diff fluid. Suspecting a blown bearing I took apart and found severe meltdown on front support of center diff where in touches the housing. Bearing was a little tight but not destroyed. The metal sleeve insert that should be molded into the diff housing fell out in my hand!!! This should not be a removable part. I suspect that the ball system built up so much heat that it just melted the sleeve /diff marriage obviously allowing all my diff fluid to leak out. I've run at least 15 tanks of gas thru this thing and never had this problem with the OEM dogbone slot cv cup configuration( although by now there has been significant wear and distortion of slot and metal t bone.....thats why I was interested in ball link in the first place)
Hoping someone else has this setup in their 5ive t and can shed light on whether I'm doing something wrong or does this design allow too much heat to build up. My 5 ball bearing fit into holes in the knuckle end but do not rotate freely by no means. And now , of course there is excessive wear / burnt appearance to the balls. Seems to me they should be designed such that they spin freely in their sockets.

Hope someone can help me out here. I have to buy a new center diff housing, and front support brocket , but hate to put the ball system back in and have it do the same thing after one tank of gas.
Please help
Marc
//Users/marcmorgan/Desktop/Diff photos/IMG_1042.JPG
/Users/marcmorgan/Desktop/Diff photos/IMG_1041.JPG
/Users/marcmorgan/Desktop/Diff photos/IMG_1043.JPG
/Users/marcmorgan/Desktop/Diff photos/IMG_1044.JPG

/Users/marcmorgan/Desktop/Diff photos/IMG_1045.JPG
/Users/marcmorgan/Desktop/Diff photos/IMG_1046.JPG

Man, I would contact the company for sure. Send them photos. I was just looking at that part last night. Was the ball end booted and packed with grease? I have the same kind of links in one of my brushless Revos, but haven't run them since installing them (been a long wet winter here in Missoula). Now I wonder if I'm going to melt the axle carriers on that REVO! The axles I'm running are the TVR Ball-X front and rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to bet the bearing in the front diff support got hot and caused your problem they should be cleaned and repacked with boat trailer grease every time you run your car for a long time some people clean there car with air or water then air these cars are heavy and put a lot of load on bearings and if you run a spool diff it's even worse change bearings once a year and take seal out and clean and repack before a big race or long play time

I'd be willing to bet the bearing in the front diff support got hot and caused your problem they should be cleaned and repacked with boat trailer grease every time you run your car for a long time some people clean there car with air or water then air these cars are heavy and put a lot of load on bearings and if you run a spool diff it's even worse change bearings once a year and take seal out and clean and repack before a big race or long play time

That's all true, except maybe the spool being harder on front bearings. For instance when a center diff. unloads it releases to the front, meaning the front spins more than the back which is planted for traction, so the front bearing would be experiencing more revolutions and wear, however in the 5ive's case that angle of the front center shaft puts a lot of side load on the bearing, so spool or not, it gets worked hard. Sounds like a bad bearing to me too, it happens.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks