upgraded ignition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a well gapped plug and coil gap is about it. yes you can use an adjustable timeing cover (but it needs to be a one off mod at the moment to do on a baja), and advance the timeing a tad to get a bit more top, but you ll tend to run hotter and cause a bit more wear and need to maintain the ring/piston/cylinder more often.

really these motors are done pretty well. If you want to adjust anything, get a Tuned pipe (not the SS pipe) and if you want more still, get a ported topend or have yours ported if its still in good condition.

What about the plug weir? Seen some MSD ones any difference in performance. I am guising miner difference, something that can’t be felt.

supposedly, they should help with a stronger spark, which makes a stronger burn. but on these small motors wiht 4 to 6 inches of spark plug wire, anything gained, IMHO, would be so small a dyno would have a tough time picking up the differances.

imo, that too is more of a bling thing than anything.

Then it is a cosmetic change for normal bashers, and only for the racers how look for the smallest gain is a must?

Lets just say I know alot about automotive engines. 4 strokes especially. When it comes to the 2 stroke not so much. So with that someone at my LHS was telling me about this little key you put in the flywheel to improve the timings accuracy. I for the life of me cant remember what he was calling it though! can anyone think what the hell he was talking about? he said you can fint it on daves motors too.

Last edited:
That key will advance or retard the timing by 2deg.. There are guys who believe in them & others who don't. It is called a Rocket key sometimes. I'll post a link to another ignition option. I really hope to get one of these & try it out. MSD is a very good company in the racing world & I would bet this is a good set-up. As for the key design, I have had guys tell me that it will allow the engine to over rev if you don't watch it. They tell me it can explode the engine !? Don't personally know, never used one. I get plenty of performance out of my engines by proper tuning & pipes.

Give it a look ...
http://www.gopeddepot.com

Go to Fast Parts, Then on the top bar in that catagory go to far right to MSD ignition & flywheel.

MSD Ignition & Flywheel

MSD Kicker Ignition & Billet Aluminum Flywheel

The MSD Kicker Ignition designed for Go-Peds® and Go-Quads is the latest addition to MSD's full line of ignition systems. The Kicker Ignition comes with the same proud racing heritage that all MSD products are born with - tough, durable, accurate. On a Go-Ped® there's lots of banging around & vibration - our Kicker Ignition is built to take it and still deliver a hot spark! The MSD CDI box is completely sealed and potted with a high density ResTech Polyurethane Potting Compound. This makes sure that the internal components are protected from all the hazards that riding a 'ped can throw at it: vibration, water, dirt, fuel, etc.. The Kicker Ignition makes timing a lot easier, and a lot more accurate than the stock coil/pickup. You can control the retard rate from 1/2° per 1,000 rpm up to 1° per 1, 000 rpm with a simple timing adjustment screw on the MSD CDI box. Add the MSD Billet Aluminum Flywheel, and you'll have the most complete ignition set-up ever available for Go-Peds! With the MSD Kicker Ignition's hot spark, and adjustable timing, your Go- Ped or Go-Quad will really move out ahead of your competition.

That key will advance or retard the timing by 2deg.. There are guys who believe in them & others who don't. It is called a Rocket key sometimes. I'll post a link to another ignition option. I really hope to get one of these & try it out. MSD is a very good company in the racing world & I would bet this is a good set-up. As for the key design, I have had guys tell me that it will allow the engine to over rev if you don't watch it. They tell me it can explode the engine !? Don't personally know, never used one. I get plenty of performance out of my engines by proper tuning & pipes.

Give it a look ...

Go to Fast Parts, Then on the top bar in that catagory go to far right to MSD ignition & flywheel.

MSD Ignition & Flywheel

The MSD Kicker Ignition designed for Go-Peds® and Go-Quads is the latest addition to MSD's full line of ignition systems. The Kicker Ignition comes with the same proud racing heritage that all MSD products are born with - tough, durable, accurate. On a Go-Ped® there's lots of banging around & vibration - our Kicker Ignition is built to take it and still deliver a hot spark! The MSD CDI box is completely sealed and potted with a high density ResTech Polyurethane Potting Compound. This makes sure that the internal components are protected from all the hazards that riding a 'ped can throw at it: vibration, water, dirt, fuel, etc.. The Kicker Ignition makes timing a lot easier, and a lot more accurate than the stock coil/pickup. You can control the retard rate from 1/2° per 1,000 rpm up to 1° per 1, 000 rpm with a simple timing adjustment screw on the MSD CDI box. Add the MSD Billet Aluminum Flywheel, and you'll have the most complete ignition set-up ever available for Go-Peds! With the MSD Kicker Ignition's hot spark, and adjustable timing, your Go- Ped or Go-Quad will really move out ahead of your competition.

Nice! Hopefully DDM will pick this up.

Give it a look ...

MSD Ignition & Flywheel

All I will say it requires a 7.2 Volt rechargeable battery. That is heavy.
What happens when it is discharged no ignition?
Fore the added Wight it must give me 1 HP at least. To compensate for the extra Wight and some power that I can feel. Other wise whey bother?
It will make a difference in big engines, not ones as small as 30.5.

All I will say it requires a 7.2 Volt rechargeable battery. That is heavy.
What happens when it is discharged no ignition?
Fore the added Wight it must give me 1 HP at least. To compensate for the extra Wight and some power that I can feel. Other wise whey bother?
It will make a difference in big engines, not ones as small as 30.5.

I high MAH lipo will run this and the other electronics with no added weight.

The whole idea is to get high RPM out of them & still retain good low end power. I have been told this unit works very well, never seen one live myself though.

the term im used to seeing for the keys is "WoodRuff" keys. the Rocket Key is the term they used to call the offset * keys i think.

for the most part, retarding the timeing a bit can make more top rpms at a slight loss of low end power, and in most cases Hotter running.

i think timeing adjustments can be usefull, but more so on highly ported/modified motor where the porting can be used in combo with the timeing to get more rpms.

I think it will not make any major effect on a small engine to justify using it.
On a beiger engine yes (considerably beiger than 30.5) I would go for it for racing only, because it will shorten the engine life.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks