Used 5ive-t roller what to do.. XL2/Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageasflux

Ive been looking around and finally picked up a Losi 5ive-T roller for cheap with a lot of upgrades.

I'm still debating on gas or brushless. I've been poking around here for a couple weeks now and know most will say go gas, but I had originally planned on brushless. All my other RC are brushless (2x 8ight-Te2.0, Rc8te, Savage 5T, Savage HP, Vorza, Rustler) as I normally just bash around the house backyard and in parks, parking lots, gravel, etc.

Right now I'm just cleaning it up, and figuring out what I got. Some upgrades include GFR dual servo tray, FLM center diff mount, Turtle Racing braces (all 3), Huge (IRP?) complete turnbuckles, Front and rear skids, maybe other stuff I don't know about. It weighs 31lbs as roller currently.

You guys have any recommendations for a first time 5ive-T builder?

Last edited:
To be honest, and I have a few BL beasties, from 1/36 to 1/8, the only reason I'd consider running a BL Largescale would be environmental - noise / fume pollution.

It's just NOT the same, no matter how fast, unless its IC powered.

Al.

These are so heavy that they require really good ESC's (MGM) and motors with 8S Lipo minimum, for that kind of money, you can snag a really sweet 30cc ported engine and 2 speed and have enough money left over for a months worth of runtime in mixed gas.......

Big mistake, been there, done that. The Baja is no where near as fun to drive as the Losi 5ive T. 4wd makes the difference, the 5ive T is just freakin' awesome.

So basically I've never run gas/nitro engines. About 10 years ago a friend had a nitro RC10GT and it was the dirtiest thing ive seen, which turned me off of gas/nitro. After brushless came out ive run those and never looked back. I guess i need to do some research on gas and how much work (dirty) they are gonna get, thats why i wanted to run brushless with the XL2. But seems i may have wasted my money on the 5ive-t roller.

I have a Savage Flux 5T that i run and its great but wanted to get into a real 1/5 scale, as the Savage 5T breaks all the time, as its 1/8 scale stuff with 1/5 stress. Ill post a pic of the 5ive-t roller later when i get home. Maybe its worth it for me to learn gas and make that work, im just up in the air now If I should keep it or get rid of it.

Keep it don't sell it they drive way better then a baja (IMO) I still have my bajas they just get way less drive time since I have gotten the losi its a way better rc, and yes gas is they way to go don't compare your friend nitro to gas its a night and day difference. The sound and smell of gas just gets your hart pumping form just sitting there idling and man when you squeeze the trigger and that motor comes to life there is not anything like it. At 1 time I had over 30 nitro and drove somebody else 1/5 scale gas 1 time and sold all of my nitro and will only run gas and have not looked back since. With longer run time and the WOW factor I think you will really enjoy the gas. But of course to each his own if you have no where to run and neighbors that will complain then I would guess that electric would be a better option.

I nearly agree 100% with RCSpeedmart's comments.
I do enjoy the smaller scales - they have their 'moments' and their place.
What is true is that once you LIFT out a Largescale, you immediately appreciate the size / weight.
If you simply switched on, pulled the trigger, true, it would take off like a bat out of hell probably, but not the same as firing up that motor, feeling the vibrations, then blasting off.
Nicer than nitro in that the fumes are slightly less noxious, but also once tuned they generally don't need tuning again unless you've changed / bent something.

Al.

Thanks for your input and info so far guys. This is the truck I got, if it helps. Also got some small spare parts, screw set, 2 used carbs, pretty used up body, gas tank.
3af062c9-864c-4be2-a68d-d053890032ac_zpsf1bc9e0c.jpg
20140807_185915_zpsa5a6d7bf.jpg
20140807_183449_zps5e3535da.jpg
20140807_183501_zps42cebdb6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, keep you guys posted as to what i do. Ive been reading the roller manual and looking at parts I will need to make it gas, if i go that route, still haven't decided. Cost seems close as much either way $400-500.

Was thinking of getting 2x Savox 0236 servos to start. 0235 for brake.

Last edited:
Engine, clutch, pinion, mount, bolts, pipe, and servos off the top of my head. Deals to be had. I'll get hater posts for this but rovan stuff might get you up and running fast on the cheap:
http://www.rovanrc.com/Rovan_30_5cc_4_Bolt_Motor_Engine_Walbro_Carb_p/rv88.htm
You'll need a different air filter than the 1 pictured, but he has some great parts and prices to get you running, davesmotors will be a bit more, etc.....

I'll get hater posts for this but rovan stuff might get you up and running fast on the cheap:

LOL That was too funny but true there are some rovan items that I really like for instance there S8230 servo that comes in there LT losi 5t clone those are some super great servos with lots of power and torque and high voltage.

Engine, clutch, pinion, mount, bolts, pipe, and servos off the top of my head. Deals to be had. I'll get hater posts for this but rovan stuff might get you up and running fast on the cheap:
http://www.rovanrc.com/Rovan_30_5cc_4_Bolt_Motor_Engine_Walbro_Carb_p/rv88.htm
You'll need a different air filter than the 1 pictured, but he has some great parts and prices to get you running, davesmotors will be a bit more, etc.....

Any experience with this motor? the price seems good for all stuff that it comes with (muffler, clutch, carb) because ill only need a few more parts then, pinion, mounts, servos. Much less than 400 for me to get going on IC and try it out.

Any experience with this motor? the price seems good for all stuff that it comes with (muffler, clutch, carb) because ill only need a few more parts then, pinion, mounts, servos. Much less than 400 for me to get going on IC and try it out.

I have seen a few run. Good carb. (walbro 997) and equal to the quality of other RTR's 30 cc's. The reason I suggest it, is the 5ive requires the torque and it has reliable startup and tuning characteristics. Add a good pipe like a Dominator with silencer down the road and you have some stout power going to all 4's....with not annoying sound levels....:D It wakes up a heavy trucks on the cheap. MT guys love this motor as it basically costs the same as most pipes....

Yea I have 3 of these motors I put 2 of them in my redcats!!!! it is a great stock motor and for a 4 bolt its a great price also with a real walbro carb. I have 1 for a lil over a year with hard running on a bartolone pipe and its still running great with no problems at all. I run the rovan LT which is the losi clone and it has that engine and its really running great also. I have not had any problem at all IMO you will not be disappointed. Go for it.

I have seen a few run. Good carb. (walbro 997) and equal to the quality of other RTR's 30 cc's. The reason I suggest it, is the 5ive requires the torque and it has reliable startup and tuning characteristics. Add a good pipe like a Dominator with silencer down the road and you have some stout power going to all 4's....with not annoying sound levels....:D It wakes up a heavy trucks on the cheap. MT guys love this motor as it basically costs the same as most pipes....

All really great advice but I would like to add if you add if you add the bartlone XP silenced pipe you will not believe the low end to mid range added to the motor instantly jumps with not bog of the line.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks