Used Oddie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarfy

A few of you will l know I am after a tuned engine for the 4wd bug, either a Stevo or an Oddie. Just been surfing ebay and found a 2004 Oddie engine for sale.......[EBAY]180921797974[/EBAY]. That got me thinking, the porting work is all ready done on this so would it be a cheaper option to buy something like this then send it to Ian for a rebuild to make sure its tip top, then Im also thinking that by the time Ive bought the used engine and paid for the rebuild it would probably work out similar costs to a new mill and I wont get a personal specification. Probably false economy, what do you think?

id say contact ian mate as thats a 04 engine but the bottom end looks a lot newer and mine is a 06 and thats a 2 bolt converted to 4 bolt by ian so chances are its been back to ian in the last few years or so for a rebuild and had a new bottom end i cant see it being the original bottom end or i would have a genuine 4 bolt bottom end on mine and not the converted 2 bolt how long have zenoah made 4 bolts?

also it will need the flywheel cover due to it being a heli head as theres no coil mounting points this is mounted to the flywheel cover and not the head maybe worth a punt mate

id also think its a 23cc on road spec same as my 23cc

Last edited:
I wont be bidding on this 1 its just an idea at the min. Need to find a job first!!
Prob best to go new like you did then i get it tuned to my own spec.

its a gamble thats for sure ebay engines are hit and miss mate ive been stitched up once for a £100 so called tuned zenoah which wasnt worth a toss but the i did get ians old oddie 23cc which was and still is wicked but there nothing like having one made just for you and not just pulled off a shelf and boxed up the same day mine was worth the wait and more than worth the money

If you are going to buy used then give yourself the best chance of getting a good one by getting it from a decent source like a well respected racer etc. A wanted ad on teamshite may bag you a decent motor and most people on there are well known through the racing community.
I got my stage 2 evo motor through there and it has been perfect.

i remember when i first come on here over a year ago now, i was looking for a used tuned engine. i got some good advise to buy new unless i knew the person , well i didnt take the advise and got stung, 3 times lol. just be careful with used tuned engines on ebay mate. thats why i buy a new now. but im sure when this one gets tired or messed up ill sell it on ebay lol, just joking mate, but be careful the ones i won all looked good ,no real tell tail signs..if its someone you know or some respectable as said above then maybe thats ok if you know its been looked after , but make sure you pick it up and inspect it before you buy if possible
if its an oddified you can always get the id number and contact ian i did that with one and found out it was 4 years older then what the seller was saying .

for bashers ,if the engine is so good why are they selling it unless upgrading or selling up? i know that some racers do change engines regularly so sometimes in this case thats why there up for sale . i think in the end it doesn't matter who you buy it from,gotta have your whits about you mate also not every racer is as clued up as some on here so its not the gospel.
if you can, go new even if you wait for abit, you know its in mint new condition, you can run it in the way you want to and will know the whole history of it , if anything goes wrong you can send it back to the builder . i know you after a stevo or oddi and they are the best over here but if you just fool about with the fg like i do you can get an obr fullmod longrod as a longblock quite cheapish, add the flywheel, clutch,carb etc from existing motor, or even cheaper a fullmod lb .
you can make your mind up after me and ren have finished the 'pinks' lol

Last edited:
+1, just got myself a OBR 29.5 full mod and took it out for its first run last week, it ran really well and i'm expecting it open up more once it loosens up a tad...the long block can be had for £260 but speak to the guys on bfuk and i'm sure a deal can be stuck..

heres mine after the mesh mod..

20120605_150340.gif

+1, just got myself a OBR 29.5 full mod and took it out for its first run last week, it ran really well and i'm expecting it open up more once it loosens up a tad...the long block can be had for £260 but speak to the guys on bfuk and i'm sure a deal can be stuck..

heres mine after the mesh mod..

20120605_150340.gif
i was pleased with the performance of mine during the first 2 or 3 tanks, but now ive just finished my 5th tank it really is pulling hard and i have the baby 27.2 lol but i rate it.
theres are plenty of good builders about but gthe power ive got for the price i paid i couldnt get anywhere else, also from reading up they are reliable and from experience customer service is top notch.
jacobyte, what have you put that engine in and what pipe are you using?

Last edited:
hows it compare to the bzm mate i know the total different engines but on paper its like going back a step but in the real world whats you honest view as i was very close to getting a bzm for the bug but after reading some of the posts about them i went with oddified and saved a few quid and got the clutch ecu and extras as well for well under the bzm's price i think its still a great looking motor

jacobyte, what have you put that engine in and what pipe are you using?

Its fitted to my SC and have the Fluid Pipe on, i swapped out the BZM and replaced with the OBR..might try my buds BZM pipe with it soon just to see if theres any difference..

20120524_152808.gif

Ren, i bought it from one of the lads and i only ran the Bzm for about 3 to 4 tanks and in that time it flew, very torquey and seemed to rev and rev, the tune went on it so i decided to rebuild and found the head o-ring had blown and since then its been to one side, selling it now so i can fund other bits....as for reliability it started on first pull most of the time, i have replaced the piston and ring, its had a new head as the original cracked around a bolt hole (replaced foc) and the insulator block warpped but i now think that was my doing due to using a too long a carb bolt....i do believe for the money they should come complete with carb and filter as well...

i think i made the right choice in getting the oddie as in a fg 8+hp is just not needed and it can barely handle the 6-7hp that its got but i can see why you would fit them in the hpi's and losi's as they handle so much better than the dated fg's and seem to handle massive power but in a fg no its to much i think

i think i made the right choice in getting the oddie as in a fg 8+hp is just not needed and it can barely handle the 6-7hp that its got but i can see why you would fit them in the hpi's and losi's as they handle so much better than the dated fg's and seem to handle massive power but in a fg no its to much i think

I bet the oddie is close to 8hp with the pipe mate now its loosened up a bit. Hopefully FG will have upped their game with the new models due out and be up there with the likes of the Losi. Knowing the Germans the new parts will retro fit to the older models as well fingers crossed!!

If you are going to buy used then give yourself the best chance of getting a good one by getting it from a decent source like a well respected racer etc. A wanted ad on teamshite may bag you a decent motor and most people on there are well known through the racing community.
I got my stage 2 evo motor through there and it has been perfect.

How much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking?!! PM if you'd rather not say on open forum!!

that engine in the link is not a complete oddified engine check sellers feedback he brought the head on its own so its not the real deal,,, bottom end will not be ported to match the top and chances are it wont have a oddie piston and sure a poop it will not perform as good due to this

Been thinking again today and if Im going to do it its defo going to be a spanking new engine built to my spec or I may end up disappointed anyway.

was looking at that engine the other day i like the way the cooling fins go through the plastic head cover but are the power figures true or just numbers to try and sell them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks