Using a 1/10 brushed motor for an alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoogity Woogums

So while I was running around on the net, I came across an Australian company that sells an "alternator" that uses the flywheel magnet to charge the onboard battery. This got me thinking that it would generate power in pulses like a spark plug and not provide too much juice. So why not take a 1/10 brushed motor with a pinion of proper pitch, and have it run off of the main spur? Surely there will need to be some sort of voltage regulation and run a NiMH battery to avoid explosions. Am I late to this party because it kinda feels like it.

Look at the R/C Gasser helicopters. They have a setup they use with an electric motor on it. Do not remember the name of the company but they are popular for the heli guys.

I don't want something that will run the machine on it's own, but just supplemental power to the pack. How long does a single charge on a pack usually last?

Getting the NiHM pack out of my baja was an experience, just to see what the mAh rating was (the guy who traded it to me wouldn't tell), and closing it was a whole other ordeal

It supplements your battery pack. It is not being used as a stand alone unit. It is so they do not have to charge the packs during the day. I will see if I can find it. Been awhile and do not remember the name of the place.

Get a hold of a guy named Raja. His screen name is rbort on Helifreak. He makes them. Nice guy and very helpful. He is in MA in the USA. Email for him I think is still current: rbort at juno.com

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks