using muffler with 1/5 big bore engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losi5ive

Hey guys wanted to know if anyone would have the info on this... I have a 5th scale taylor 65cc engine that comes with a samba big bore pipe. SUPER loud. Hard to find spots to run it onroad... unlike offroad. So I grabbed a rc scale gas engine muffler.... and It works fine but it cannot rev up as much... almost like its too rich or too lean. Pretty sure its too rich... but I was going to lean it out a little. but is that a good idea? I know the engine max safely you can lean in any situation is about 1/3 on the big carb needle. It just that if I give it as much gas as possible... it revs 10-11000 where it should go up to 18000. Also it over heats... to like 380f degrees once.

Anyone ever use a muffler on a gas engine?? Retune neccessary??

Definitely going to have to retune. Exact opposite of putting on a pie, you are restricting flow, so you have to adjust your fuel.

Hey guys wanted to know if anyone would have the info on this... I have a 5th scale taylor 65cc engine that comes with a samba big bore pipe. SUPER loud. Hard to find spots to run it onroad... unlike offroad. So I grabbed a rc scale gas engine muffler.... and It works fine but it cannot rev up as much... almost like its too rich or too lean. Pretty sure its too rich... but I was going to lean it out a little. but is that a good idea? I know the engine max safely you can lean in any situation is about 1/3 on the big carb needle. It just that if I give it as much gas as possible... it revs 10-11000 where it should go up to 18000. Also it over heats... to like 380f degrees once.

Add silencer

Do you mean silencer?

This is the silencer.... yes its a silencer not a muffler my bad if that makes a difference!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....order_list.order_list_main.10.1d001802MIbIav

1685287246574.png

I am going to take it out today... put a locker unit in the center diff, this thing should move out much harder! The SILENCER however... see if I can tune it a bit with it on there... got to lower that sound. Anyone use a silenced exhaust of any sort on a taylor big bore engine???

This is the silencer.... yes its a silencer not a muffler my bad if that makes a difference!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....order_list.order_list_main.10.1d001802MIbIav

View attachment 87548

I am going to take it out today... put a locker unit in the center diff, this thing should move out much harder! The SILENCER however... see if I can tune it a bit with it on there... got to lower that sound. Anyone use a silenced exhaust of any sort on a taylor big bore engine???
Ohh i see now, its the long tube b4 the silencer, not good for the engine..
Loose the tube and it will be fine
Ohh i see now, its the long tube b4 the silencer, not good for the engine..
It will work fine on big bore too, less noise

muffler, silencer, noise suppressor, same thing they all reduce the noise a tad (y) ,

wonder if this comments gonna spark a debate :ROFLMAO:,

but what @Shy gur 1 said above, lose the long rubber tube, thats what will be restricting things probably,
Also a bit of engine power lost when using silencers... only my opinion☺ please don't kill me
Also a bit of engine power lost when using silencers... only my opinion☺ please don't kill me
🤣🤣🤣🤣

i would get a silenced pipe. like the person said, it wasn't the silencer that killed your performance it was the rubber tube. you should lose minimal power, way to go. i would be very, very careful with overheating, can easily damage or destroy the whole head and that motor is not cheap with parts. these aren't like nitro motors, frequently factory settings are fine. if it runs ok you're good. you can experiment but i would stay far away from too lean.

So today I took the beast... bulletproof wiring is important. :)

I took everything apart wiring wise since I was having a failsafe circuit issue and taped up every connecter and ensured perfect wiring... and yeah today was the best I have seen with this Losi. The engine revs hard... the locker in the center diff with this engine is a MUST. It is hard to keep all 4 tires from losing traction at full power... but with the 10k clutch spring it launches perfect... the launch has a nice spring to it and the torque smashes everything if you are not gentle with the trigger.

Lighting is great... engine is great... I am going to try to silencer soon but with just 1 90 degree barb connecting the stinger to the silencer under the kit when doing onroad and maybe even try 2 90 degree barbs to make the silencer come back up wards from the stinger of the pipe.

If anyone likes telemetry stuff below are the numbers from today... it is 19degrees/66f out here in ontario. Taylor engine ran after fully heating up and with about 1/4 tank left... 157degrees/315f @ RPM 3000-3280 @ idle... will rev. friendly to about 13000.... and then it becomes like a scary out of control missile and then..... towards leaning and running out of fuel 179 degrees/354f @ RPM 5900-6200.

Have to mention... glad I switched everything over to Futaba and Hilantronics. When you put so much effort into one of these machines you have to protect it properly.

So today I took the beast... bulletproof wiring is important. :)

I took everything apart wiring wise since I was having a failsafe circuit issue and taped up every connecter and ensured perfect wiring... and yeah today was the best I have seen with this Losi. The engine revs hard... the locker in the center diff with this engine is a MUST. It is hard to keep all 4 tires from losing traction at full power... but with the 10k clutch spring it launches perfect... the launch has a nice spring to it and the torque smashes everything if you are not gentle with the trigger.

Lighting is great... engine is great... I am going to try to silencer soon but with just 1 90 degree barb connecting the stinger to the silencer under the kit when doing onroad and maybe even try 2 90 degree barbs to make the silencer come back up wards from the stinger of the pipe.

If anyone likes telemetry stuff below are the numbers from today... it is 19degrees/66f out here in ontario. Taylor engine ran after fully heating up and with about 1/4 tank left... 157degrees/315f @ RPM 3000-3280 @ idle... will rev. friendly to about 13000.... and then it becomes like a scary out of control missile and then..... towards leaning and running out of fuel 179 degrees/354f @ RPM 5900-6200.

Have to mention... glad I switched everything over to Futaba and Hilantronics. When you put so much effort into one of these machines you have to protect it properly.
Very nice👌 im happy for you mate, enjoy that beast you have there..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks