VESLA.5 Transmission 'Problems', and Motor Choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninth Island RC

First, and foremost, anyone with the gas version need not reply...this is related only to the electric version. That being said, Kraken says that the problem related to "exploding" idler gears has only been seen in the gas version, and not the electric version. So, why am I posting this thread, and asking the questions I'm about to ask? Read on..........

As many reading this will know (and, as at least some will have personally experienced), there has been, since the release of the VESLA.5, a 'problem' related to the idler gear...specifically, that it seems to "explode" (my choice of word) under to much power. In regards to the gas version (especially when replacing the stock engine with a larger cc engine), this has been confirmed by Kraken RC. At the same time, Kraken has stated that, in regards to the electric version, it has (supposedly) only affected those running the stock trans housing and/or stock trans gears. However, according to two posts in the Facebook group (interestingly, the two posts I reference have since "disappeared"), it seems that two people had their idler gears "explode". If I remember correctly, one was running the billet trans housing with stock trans gears, while the other was running the stock trans housing with hardened steel gears. I tried finding their posts, so as to confirm what, exactly, the we're running...but, as I just mentioned, both posts are no longer to be found.

When the electric version was initially released, it was designed to ruin on 8S, and came with an 1100kv motor. As far as I am aware, with this configuration, there were no "exploding idler gear" problems. When Hobbywing released the Max5 G2, Kraken 'upgraded' the electric version to run on 12S, and initially gave purchasers the option of choosing between an 1100kv or 800kv motor. Honestly, running 1100kv on 12S would be completely insane, and something I would only expect Kevin Talbot to do...lol...but, I could see 12S powering an 800kv (personally, my plan is to run an 800kv on 8S).

Yesterday, I checked the website, and discovered that Kraken is no longer offering the 1100kv option. Not only that, but they are also no longer offering the electric version with even an 800kv motor. Instead, they have lowered the motor to 650kv. This leads me to wonder, if there was supposedly no "exploding" idler gear problem with the electric version, then why would they feel the need to eliminate, both, the 1100kv & 800kv options, and replace them with an even slower 650kv motor? We all know they are about to release an optional redesigned billet transmission housing, which is for the gas AND electric versions, and will contain redesigned gears (especially a larger idler) with more 'metal' between the teeth & bearings. But, if there was (supposedly) no 'problem' with the housing & gears on the electric version, then why is there a need to indicate that the new housing & gears is also for the electric version? If there's truly "no problems" with the idler on electric, why not just indicate the new billet trans housing & hardened gears is for 'gas', and just leave it at that (obviously, they could still be used in the electric, but there would be no need to "focus" on the electric use on the website, right?).

I am interested in people's opinions on, and answers to, the above questions. I mean, if there was (supposedly) no gear 'problems' with the electric version, the why was there a need to discreetly make these changes (especially dropping to the 650kv motor)?

Additionally, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing from anyone who has actually had idler (or any transmission gear) problems in their electric VESLA.5. If you have had such problems, please, include whether you were running the stock or billet transmission housing, whether you were running the stock or hardened steel trans gears, whether you were running the 1100kv, 800kv, or 650kv motor, whether you were running 12S or 8S...and, most importantly, what you did to "fix" the problem. This isn't meant to "call out" Kraken on any problems...it's purely meant to help others see what problems they might run into, under what conditions the problems can occur, and what they might be able to do to fix/eliminate the problems (hopefully, before such problems occur).

Following: I pre-ordered the Vesla SBK gas version but got the additional electric conversion kit too(to be paired with a Castle XLX2 and 800kv motor)

I was wondering that same thing when trying to decide on the SBK in gas or electric. If the stock gears on the gas can handle up to 35cc, then HOW can the stock gears handle 8s with 800kv motor. I have that setup in my Baja and it is ballistic.

What has more torque:
A Taylor 50gt or an 800kv electric motor running on 8-12s?

Following: I pre-ordered the Vesla SBK gas version but got the additional electric conversion kit too(to be paired with a Castle XLX2 and 800kv motor)

I was wondering that same thing when trying to decide on the SBK in gas or electric. If the stock gears on the gas can handle up to 35cc, then HOW can the stock gears handle 8s with 800kv motor. I have that setup in my Baja and it is ballistic.

What has more torque:
A Taylor 50gt or an 800kv electric motor running on 8-12s?
Regarding your "which has more torque" question, honestly, I can't claim to know...I do not own any gas (or nitro) RCs. I do, however, have plans (hopefully, by this time next year) to get a Losi 5ive-T 2.0 V2. As for the Baja 5B, and it being 'ballistic' on 8S w/ 800kv, from what I understand, it has a different gear radio than the VESLA.5, so that could easily account for the difference in performance. Anyway, this is all off-topic...but, still 'interesting'.

Mine started life as gas. Now it’s electric can I comment on the electric? It hates the kraken gears. But kraken is redesigning the trans 100%.
Like the "can I comment"...lol. Yes, they are redesigning the trans, but that's only the optional (ie. not the stock housing, or gears). For those who didn't already buy the current billet housing, or current hardened steel gears, it'll be great...but, for those who already have, or recently ordered, the current billet housing & HD gears, I have a feeling the majority won't want to drop even more money on the 'new' versions.

Now, for those who recently ordered them, and still have them in the packaging, it would be great if Kraken offered to replace them with the new versions...but, I don't see that happening. For companies such as Traxxas, Associated, Tekno, etc, I could see it as a possibility (not saying they would, know that it could be a possibility)...but, with Kraken being a small company, it's not really a financially feasible for them to offer such an option.

Hobbywing still sells the Max5 G2/1100kv but the 1100kv can only handle up to 8S. So perhaps they didn't want to offer a combo that could/would blow up motors if their customers plugged in 12S; I certainly would be hesitant to sell that combo.

I cannot speak to the idler gear issue at all, but I don't think it's a nefarious move on their part to only offer 12S friendly systems.

Hobbywing still sells the Max5 G2/1100kv but the 1100kv can only handle up to 8S. So perhaps they didn't want to offer a combo that could/would blow up motors if their customers plugged in 12S; I certainly would be hesitant to sell that combo.

I cannot speak to the idler gear issue at all, but I don't think it's a nefarious move on their part to only offer 12S friendly systems.
Mentioning the motors was less about them no longer offering the 1100kv option, and was more about them also no longer offering the 800kv option (which would be excellent work BOTH 8S & 12S). Now that they've switched it to ONLY a 650kv option, they are, essentially, 'forcing' buyers to use 12S, as 650kv would be sloooow on 8S.

I
Like the "can I comment"...lol. Yes, they are redesigning the trans, but that's only the optional (ie. not the stock housing, or gears). For those who didn't already buy the current billet housing, or current hardened steel gears, it'll be great...but, for those who already have, or recently ordered, the current billet housing & HD gears, I have a feeling the majority won't want to drop even more money on the 'new' versions.

Now, for those who recently ordered them, and still have them in the packaging, it would be great if Kraken offered to replace them with the new versions...but, I don't see that happening. For companies such as Traxxas, Associated, Tekno, etc, I could see it as a possibility (not saying they would, know that it could be a possibility)...but, with Kraken being a small company, it's not really a financially feasible for them to offer such an option.
I installed the kraken alum. trans tried with stick gears and a Taylor 50 gears destroyed. Installed hardened gears destroyed them. Then installed the standard gears and ran it on 12 s carefully waiting on the redesigned trans case and gears.
There is no fixing the problem with the trans the way it is.

Mentioning the motors was less about them no longer offering the 1100kv option, and was more about them also no longer offering the 800kv option (which would be excellent work BOTH 8S & 12S). Now that they've switched it to ONLY a 650kv option, they are, essentially, 'forcing' buyers to use 12S, as 650kv would be sloooow on 8S.

Aye, it would be really damn underwhelming.

But I see the 800kv system on Kraken's online store, so they aren't shying away from that motor. Again, they've moved their electric kits to be labeled as "12S" and if I were advertising the RTR kit as "12S", including battery trays, etc, I would choose the 650kv over the 800kv. I run 800kv on 12S in my 5ive T and it is absolutely tire blowing bonkers.

Sure, it would be sweet to be able to choose which system you want at checkout. But since they've shifted to "12S" the decision makes sense, even if frustrating.

Guess I, and other who already/recently purchased the original upgrade parts, will just have to take my/our chances, and hope nothing goes wrong. I could probably return the upgrade parts (which I received only a few days ago) for full credit...but, since I got them during the "25% of sale", combined with the fact that the new upgrade parts are more expensive (plus there are more parts needed), I can't justify the cost. In returning the original upgrade parts, and ordering the new upgrade parts, such would cost me twice as much what I already spent. On the 'plus' side (at least, for me), since I plan on only running 8S, on an 800kv motor, that should be "safe". I still have my idea for increasing the strength of the idler gear, so that's also a 'plus'.

For anyone already having, or planning on purchasing, the VESLA.5, and planning to upgrade, I'd probably recommend spending the higher cost, and ordering the new upgrade parts. At least, for you, you wouldn't have already spent the money on the original upgrade parts.

It’s going to be close to 500 usd for that trans case, internal gears, input shaft, pinion and spur. Bearings. That sucks.
Exactly. In addition to the necessary trans housing & hardened steel trans gears, I also ordered the billet motor mount plate, hardened steel diff gears, and hardened steel spur gear...and ALL of that only cost me a little over $350 (because of the 25% off sale).

Mine will most likely be running the ESP34cc motor. I purchased the HD transmission and hardened gears already, so I really hope they hold up.

Has anyone with a 35cc engine or smaller or running on 8s had the gears shatter?

I keep eyeballing the Vesla.5 SBK to run on 800kv 8s but this thread has me very hesitant. I’d expect the rig to run on 8s no problem with the included parts. Guess I’ll stay subbed and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the detailed commentary.

I keep eyeballing the Vesla.5 SBK to run on 800kv 8s but this thread has me very hesitant. I’d expect the rig to run on 8s no problem with the included parts. Guess I’ll stay subbed and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the detailed commentary.
From what I've heard from others, you should be fine on that setup

Unfortunately, we now have a lil bit of 'bad' news...tho, realistically, I'd consider her it's more 'disappointing' than 'bad'. As almost everyone who ordered the SBKs is probably aware of by now (and, if you weren't already notified, you might as well consider this as "having been informed") the SBKs have been delayed another month. They were supposed to ship by April 25, but 2-3 days before that, an email was received notifying those of us who pre-ordered it that they will now be shipping closer towards the end of May.

Evidently, a number of the individual parts arrived late from whomever manufactured them...thus, they are running behind schedule in packaging the kits. I don't remember the exact wording of the email (unfortunately, I already deleted it)...but, if I remember correctly, they stated that the kits should be packaged by the end of this week (meaning, yesterday), and should be loaded in a shipping container, & headed towards the US by the end of next week. On arrival in the US (which should take up to 2 weeks from the ship departing the Western side of the Pacific) add up to another week for the container to clear customs, and for all kits to arrive in the US warehouse. Then, they should be shipping to those of us that bought them within a week after that...so, we should estimate delivery to be sometime during the final week of the month, and possibly as early as the latter half of the week prior.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks