voltage regulator need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleebag

Hi all, i have recently just upgraded my throttle and brake servo to a high torque one to power cable brakes and it fried my receiver, so now i'm going to buy direct power supply so i can run the servo's directly from my battery. So my question is will i need a voltage regulator as my battery is only a ni-mh 5*2/3A 1100mah 6Volt and not a lipo and my servo can take up to 7.2volts so personally i don't see the need for one unless there is other reasons for using these can anyone help.
Also was just wondering, when i'm using my direct power supply will it bypass my stand alone failsafe and how will i get round this,thanks all:cool:

that battery is far too small for a 5th scale. it must have been fighting hard to supply the amperage the servos need. use some sub c's. that might have been part of the reason your rx died, overloading the battery...

a bec, battery eliminator circuit, has a few benefits. you can plug much any battery into one with varying volts and it outputs what you set it to.

the bec will supply the same voltage beginning to end. unlike a nmh rx pack which starts out much higher and slowly fades away in power and speed as the pack drains.

a bec can deliver more amps. consider a stalled servo can draw a couple amps of power, and we run 3 sometimes 4. you can run it through the rx to power your servos, or you can use a Y cable setup and power the servos direct, with only the signal wire goingto your rx. you can run power to the rx as well with Y cables just to coverthe failsafe and kill switch. it's a matter of some creative wiring

are all your servos good for 7.4 volts??? is your receiver good for 7.4 volts??? if both are yes, id run a 3s lipo with a bec set to 7.4 volts, that way you will have consistent voltage to the servos at all times (3s lipo is 11.1 volts nominal, cutoff should be 9.0v).

if your receiver is only good for 6 volts, you have a couple options. 1) you can run a 2s lipo and power the servos direct off that (7.4 volt servos are actually rated for 2s lipo, so good up to 8.4 volts max) and run a bec for the receiver set to 6 volts. downside here is as your battery drains you get slower transit time and less torque. another option here is to run a 6s nimh, but check your servo specs for max voltage because 6s nimh can get over 9v fully charged. 2) you could run a 3s lipo with 2 bec's, one to the receiver at 6v and one to the servos at 7.4v. again, doable off a 6s nimh.

either way don't bother with the 2/3a stuff, you need some big juice in a 1/5 scale. sub c cells or lipo, anything 3000mah and bigger. if you are looking for a deal on sub c cells check out the local 1/10 scale electric forums/tracks, lots of guys running lipo now and selling off old packs dirt cheap.

Commonly regarded as 'the best' large scale steering servo, the Multiplex Rhino is VERY sensitive to voltage, and Hobbythek themselves insisted I use a voltage regulator - I don't know how much more than 6.0V they can take and I don't wish to find out.
A voltage regulator is a very good idea.

I use one on my Losi 1/8 Raminator - nothing is original apart from body and tyres - as it's LiPo powered. A fully charged 2S LiPo regularly throws out 8.4V!!
This I'm sending to a Spektrum receiver, so far without problem via a 5A/6V LRP regulator, then onto the 4 servos - I've modified to LST2 upgrade spec.
The steering servos are Airtronics monster torques - 2x 423 oz in at 6V!!

Best bet is to get the full specifications on the equipment you have - receiver and servos - then take it from there.
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks