What are you guys doing about COPPA with your You Tube channels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah so what? It always ends in arguments and a wasted thread, and it's also against forum rules to talk about politics I believe. And being under 18 doesn't make my opinion invalid for your information.

Children and Teens should be seen and not heard. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Go to your room and leave the phone and computer . j/k

?Politics brought forth this thread. So its destined to head that way. Better shut it down now.
As true as your statement is I disagree. This affects everyone of us that creates videos and post them on Youtube. This could turn out to be a big nothing for all of us hopefully or it could turn into a big shite show for creators on Youtube. So long as people don't get stupid with the politics dicussion it has it's place here on the forum . If it degrade then yes it should be closed and locked. But it seems to be very civil so far.

As true as your statement is I disagree. This affects everyone of us that creates videos and post them on Youtube. This could turn out to be a big nothing for all of us hopefully or it could turn into a big shite show for creators on Youtube. So long as people don't get stupid with the politics dicussion it has it's place here on the forum . If it degrade then yes it should be closed and locked. But it seems to be very civil so far.
True and hope your correct.

Im involved with a few youtube channels for my career and the biggest problem is that if you set your channel to not for children you are not necessarily safe. the ftc says they will do periodic reviews of youtube content and if they decide a video is meant for a child then you will recieve a fine. the other problem is that it seems like there are no clear cut guidelines to follow to make sure you don't end in one column or the other so it will be completely up to whoever makes the decision in the ftc with little recourse to rectify any problems outside of defending yourself in a lawsuit.

That's redicullous. Why should you get a fine for putting a video as not for children and they think it's for children?? That's stupid, if an adult watches a kid thing, who cares, now if a kid watches a innapriate adult thing on accedent, then there's a problem, still not a 40k fine (think it was 40 thousand dollar fine, correct me if im wrong). And it doesn't help that everything is foggy as fek

That's redicullous. Why should you get a fine for putting a video as not for children and they think it's for children?? That's stupid, if an adult watches a kid thing, who cares, now if a kid watches a innapriate adult thing on accedent, then there's a problem, still not a 40k fine (think it was 40 thousand dollar fine, correct me if im wrong). And it doesn't help that everything is foggy as fek
the idea is that videos marked "not for children" are used to sell personalized advertisements. the law that the ftc is using states that companies are not allowed to sell the information of minors. by marking your content as "not for children" when the video is for children then youtube will sell ads on that video. youtube is not technically a company that produces content and are rather a sharing platform. any violations on the platform are your responsiblity meaning that you are breaking a federal law.

the idea is that videos marked not for children are used to sell personalized advertisements. the law that the ftc is using states that companies are not allowed to sell the information of minors. by marking your content as not for children when the video is for children then you are breaking a federal law.
Ah that makes sense. Thx for clarification

Ah that makes sense. Thx for clarification
i edited that post to make it a little clearer. If you don't make any money from your channel set your videos to "for children". Even if your videos are not technically suitable for children (adult language, themes or whatever) there are no laws that you would be violating. the only trouble you can get in is if your videos are set to "not for children" *******I am not a lawyer, this only comes from my research and what i will be personally doing*****

True, but if that rule was followed then the coppa would be moot (imo) as all content could be construed as for general or adult audiences only. How is you tube supposed to verify the age of everyone, or that there has been parental consent granted? I know we can spin our wheels on this forever, and truth be told im not super up on all the laws pertaining to coppa. But it just seems to me that it should be taken one of two ways. Either everyone can watch as no one under the age of 13 should be on the sight, or you tube needs to let developers set all 3 categories. Only allowing the two (to me) is admission that they don't really care what age person is on their platform. ( just my opinions, an I'm a mornon so could be totally off base)

i edited that post to make it a little clearer. If you don't make any money from your channel set your videos to "for children". Even if your videos are not technically suitable for children (adult language, themes or whatever) there are no laws that you would be violating. the only trouble you can get in is if your videos are set to "not for children" *******I am not a lawyer, this only comes from my research and what i will be personally doing*****

This helps alot thanks!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks