What octane to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losi125

Hello everyone just want some opinions on what octane to use I am looking at vp racing gas and Sunoco. Has anyone used a high octane fuel I have a signature obr 34cc what is the highest value you ever used and what kind of results have you experience ? Thank you .

Hello everyone just want some opinions on what octane to use I am looking at vp racing gas and Sunoco. Has anyone used a high octane fuel I have a signature obr 34cc what is the highest value you ever used and what kind of results have you experience ? Thank you .
I wouldnt worry about octane. More important is to steer clear of ethanol. Thats why I use vp only. I think its 94 octane, mabey less.

Google search a local ethanol free station. Get 93 octane and your good to go. No need for 100+ octane. Hell I don't run above 91 with most of my engines

I just go get high test. I run through too much gas to worry about ethonal. I also use a fuel stabilizer, which treats the ethonal. haven't had issues in any small engines since I've been using it.

I just go get high test. I run through too much gas to worry about ethonal. I also use a fuel stabilizer, which treats the ethonal. haven't had issues in any small engines since I've been using it.
I think ethonal only becomes a problem if it sits for long. Ive seen some carbs that were ravaged by ethanol after sitting for months. It definitely attracts moisture, so isn't worth the risk to me. The VP fuel can get pricey though. But im known to let rc's sit with fuel in them for months.

Yes I agree. Its hydroscopic so it absorbs the moisture in the air. Every year I deal with the neighbors small power equipment. Same story, your carbs shot. Didnt run the gas out like I said to. Blah blah bla.
But I am constantly running my saws, which I run at the same ratio, so my fuel never gets old enough to worry about it. Like this coming saturday, I have 8 trees to take down at my in laws house. That will cost me close to 5 gallons of mixed gas till it's all said and done.
So I guess this is my point. If your just mixing enough to run over the summer, or you run year round. It's not worth the extra cost to worry about ethonal. Run a good stabilizer, and get premium pump gas.
If your gonna be storing for a while go with the VP premixed gas or ethonal free pump gas.

No, I don't think it warrants paying extra money for special fuels when a little startron or stabilizer is all that is necessary. At the worst you could buy a new carb and it still would be less than using the special fuels. Just my .02
Have you ever seen what ethonal does to a engine and its parts? Its not pretty. Ill snap some pics monday from my buddies carb shop. The poop is really bad, sucks all kinds of moisture in. But as to cost. I usually buy a case once a year for $90. So its over 20 a gallon, but a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Ok, so go read my carb thread. There are 2 diaphragms in the carb. The spiral only takes care of 1 of them. don't get me wrong I like them. But now you have to deal with the second half of the carb, which is normally where the issues are. The pump diaphragm gets old and brittle and doesn't flow enough fuel. So for idk like $15.00 you get a complete kit toss it in and boom your done. Alcohol only gives issues when it sits and is untreated. Like 21bb I see plenty of nasty carbs a year. All untreated fuel. As to the octane question. Most 2 stroke mfg will reccomend around 92 octane fuel. Reason being the addition of oil reduces the octane rating of the fuel. It causes a slower burn. Thus derating you to close to regular pump gas. Which is not an issue. Higher octane fuel is used to prevent detonation in high compression engines. In all honesty these engines, even ported don't warrant a need for anything greater then high test. The chances of detonation are really minimal. Get premixed fuel if you want. Vp is good stuff. Let's not get started on the ratio bit. Real sore subject.

Have you ever seen what ethonal does to a engine and its parts? Its not pretty. Ill snap some pics monday from my buddies carb shop. The poop is really bad, sucks all kinds of moisture in. But as to cost. I usually buy a case once a year for $90. So its over 20 a gallon, but a small price to pay for piece of mind.
Cant say I've ever seen what ethanol does to my engines cause I treat my 93 octane fuel. I'm talking from my 67 Lemans to my 2stroke rc. I can start up any of my "toys" without issue and I've had my 1:1 cars for 10+ years same carbs. Im just saying.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks