What receiver battery are you using?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarfy

I am newish to large scale and was wondering what receiver battery you are using. The 1 on my marder is 4100mah. How long can I expect to get out of a full charge? I have a failsafe set for low voltage but after 1hr running it still works fine! This is about the max I am out when at home but I am taking it on holiday so it will get a hammering & I don't fancy carrying back!!

I myself use lipo packs with a castle bec set to 6v. with the bec it doesn't matter what I plug into it. I prefer lipo because there is no memory effect so topping them up when done the day doesn't hurt the cels

lithium polymer batteries (lipo for short). and a bec is basically a voltage regulator. I run an 11.1v battery regulated to 6v. always have 6v available that way. and it can take various voltage inputs.... so if I had to I could toss a stick pack on, or a 24v battery or ??

bec is a battery eliminator circuit. it's more commonly used for brushless esc's that don't provide power to the reciever for the servos. or using high voltage setups most esc's can't provide the amperage output for multiple servos, so we use a bec.

4100 mah is lots for an hours playtime though. my redcat came with a 1500 and it died while running a tank lol. lucky there was a tree to hit or my truck would have been swimming.... that was before I got my engine kill switch. that is a most important upgrade. search the killer bee kill switch. don't run a 5th scale without one

I'm currently testing A123 (LifePo4) 1100mah 2S2P or 2300mah 2 in series to see which is a better setup. These batteries hold the voltage curve to 6.2Volts under load and stay there until the end of it's capacity and I don't need a Bec since the voltage stays around 6.0 to 6.6 volts the servos work better closer to the 6 volt range. The best thing is I can rapid charge these up to anywhere from 1-10amps with no problems and is very light compared to any other batteries.

i run a few diffrent packs. all 3 of my 1500mah's get about 2 full tanks(a little more then an hour). my 3700 is old and abused. i get about 1.5 tanks without it being peak charged(i'll charge it let it sit in my pit box for weeks) my other ddm 5000 is new. i used it for one charge and i got about 4+ tanks out of it in a weeks time. the most important thing is to charge them properly and disharge them every once in a while. the lipos are great, but you need a charger and regulater for them. (=$) your pack should last a while if charged properly. pick up a spare and rock on

I run:
(2)-3300mah
(1)-4500mah
(1)-2000mah

All packs will run more then you want to run. about 3-4 tanks x :30 = 1-2hours. If they are NiMh packs then make sure you have them fully charged when you leave and recharge them when your back. Use a Volt Watch to keep an eye on your pack condition.

Back