What screws to loctite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5vette73

What screws do you guys recommend I put loctite on?

Also, what strength loctite on those screws? Blue, red?

I just had the servo horn screw come loose and fall off while running my truck's first tank of gas!

Thanks

First let me say I never trust any manufacturer to build and threadlock a chassis. So I would check and use threadlock especially in set screws etc throughout the drivtrain. Diff pinions etc.
I only use blue threadlock but I know some who use red on motor mount screws etc. In my experience red just ensures stripping the screw when you need to get it out. If properly applied blue doesn't hold then you probably have an excessive vibration somewhere.

I go through and use blue threadlock on anyway screw going into a metal part especially things in the drive train and aluminum mounted to the chassis. Make sure the screw I threads are free of oil so the loctite can set properly.

@C5vette73 I'm a huge fan of the blue loctite stick and use it in pretty much any place where a screw enters a metal item. For most all parts I'd recommend sticking with blue as well.

The benefits of the stick version is that it doesn't dry out if you forget to put the cap on, it doesn't spill, and it's super easy to apply it exactly where you want it.

Last edited:
Any steel screw going into plastic or aluminum should not need Loctite at all. Steel into steel, blue. The only place I use red (high temp) is for pipe header bolts.

+1 Woodie
The stick is the way to go...no more loctite seeping off the threads as you sink a screw and effectively gluing the bottom side of the head. I can also say that when in a hurry/pinch the stick doesn't seem to mind a little oil on the threads either. I would still clean them, but I know a couple of times trying to hurry and get something going again I have bypassed cleaning a slightly dirty screw and still had the stick hold it just fine.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks