which clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordraptor1

i am looking at replacing my clutch here in the next couple of months for an aftermarket setup and was wondering which would be the way to go , elcon or lauterbacher?

what are th epros and cons (price not withstanding since i already know the lauterbacher is cheaper both initially and when it comes to clutch shoe replacement)

my cheaper comment is based on the following prices from DDM:

elcon 54mm V2 adjustable 4-shoe teflon clutch 122.50
bash prrof titanium plate for elcon clutch (must have item) 25.00

total 147.50

replacement clutch shoes for elcon 63.18

lauterbacher offroad clutch 139.00

replacement shoes for lauterbacher 49.00

i am leaning towards teh lauterbacher but would like to hear your thoughts.

i run a fg 4 block and its great much better than stock got it on ebay for £30 but if i was going for a new one then it would have to be a oddified one about £90 plus new shoes and springs are only about £30 there highly rated clutches as well its another choice for you and the cheaper shoes help

i run a fg 4 block and its great much better than stock got it on ebay for £30 but if i was going for a new one then it would have to be a oddified one about £90 plus new shoes and springs are only about £30 there highly rated clutches as well its another choice for you and the cheaper shoes help

Agreed, the oddie clutch is the best I've tried - and I've tried pretty much all of them both on road and off road, The lauterbacher would be my second choice.

should have clarified it is for a baja 5bss which currently has teh stock 26s engine but i one day hope to have a 30.5 (would like a full mod 30.5 reed :D but engine is down the road a ways LOL)

no prices in USD? i am in the US after all LOL. still it looks like the elcon and lauterbacher to me so i guess it teh only thing that really matters is clutch shoe material. would like the material to be long lasting and grab well LOL

The teflon one bites at ~8.5k but slips a little before it bites - bites well after that.
I wore out the white teflon shoes quite quickly, which was considered 'normal', so I had the heavier duty ones recommended - these are fitted.
Works well, bites harder, but as the shoes are denser and the clutch relies on centrifugal / lack of centripetal force, that means the bite is earlier, probably around 7k, which with the weight of the MT on which it's installed, means the engine bogs a little. It is definitely heavier duty and I've run it more than the white teflon one already without problem.
Al.

thanks for the replies, howeve rit looks like i am going to have to replace it with a stock clutch for the time being, i finally got my baja running again without dying or bogging on throttle app and wish to run it but teh clutch is shot (1 shoe has 1mm of material on it and has blueing from it engagine while teh other shoe looks almost new).

i remembered last night that i had contacted hpi 4 weeks ago on it and they were goine to replace it but didnt because it was out of stock so i contacted them back and when they responded to my e-mail today they made no mention of the clutch :(.

The teflon one bites at ~8.5k but slips a little before it bites - bites well after that.
I wore out the white teflon shoes quite quickly, which was considered 'normal', so I had the heavier duty ones recommended - these are fitted.
Works well, bites harder, but as the shoes are denser and the clutch relies on centrifugal / lack of centripetal force, that means the bite is earlier, probably around 7k, which with the weight of the MT on which it's installed, means the engine bogs a little. It is definitely heavier duty and I've run it more than the white teflon one already without problem.
Al.

Which clutch are you talking about?

wagon had a fg one with white teflon shoes in his mcd and that melted big time after a couple of hours use,,,,,,,,the one in mine has the tougher grey shoes and so far they have held up well which is a suprise as it was second hand off ebay

These are good http://rc-car-online-shop.de/shop/e...-lauterbacher-aluminum-3-backen-kupplung.html We used tried these at the Euros in Austria during a heatwave -fook me it was hot.

These are better in my opinion http://rc-car-online-shop.de/shop/en/products/fg_10530-10530-4-block-clutch-05-adjustable-1pce-.html

These have always been very good for years and they're consistant http://rc-car-online-shop.de/shop/e...terbacher-4-shoe-clutch-adjustable-1pce-.html

These are the best of the bunch http://www.oddified.com/services.php You'll have to scroll down a bit to see them.

It's not teflon, all the shoes are white. They're drilled out differently to increase or decrease bite rpm.

I use PTFE daily, and they certainly felt like it (we casually call this Teflon), Ian also called them PTFE and they felt quite slippery.
They started to bite at around 6-7k, then slipped another 1.5k or so before they really bit.

Al.

Last edited:
when i am finally able to get a clutch setup it is going to be either the elcon or lauterbacher simply because i have found them with prices in USD, could convert funds via paypal but that is another fee PP would take out)

anyway right now i am trying to come up with about another 150 to 175.00 that i can add to my ddm order on the first :D, with that i could completely finish out my bajas suspension plus get a stock hpi 8 k clutch set to tide me over until teh first of june at which time i could take care of teh clutch :D

just got off of teh phone with hpi and they sent out the clutch yesterday and they said it would be here on the 21st so hopefully it will last until i can get an aftermarket setup :D. i would like to thank all of the input but i think i am going to go with my first choice and get the lauterbacher clutch when the time comes, mainly because ddm has it, prices are in usd, it is cheaper than the elcon (factoring in having to buy the bash plate with the elecon)

Back