Which controller for the 5ive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimshaw

I am going to order my 5ive this weekend. I wanted to know what rx you guys are using for it. I am leaning towards the spektrum dx4r pro. Any input would be great as long as it is constructive. Thank you guys.

I am certainly a fan of Futaba and would recommend getting the Futaba 4PLS. The range and quality is incredible. Add a @Killer RC LiFe battery and it will last you darn near the whole season before needing a charge. :)

Also make sure you get a kill switch for that 5ive as well.

Last edited:
The kill switch is probably another thread. I was told it is not needed with the spektrum because of a built in fail safe. If I went with another brand, like futaba, I would need to purchase one.
But those are the 2 controllers I am tossed up on.

Both the Spektrum and Futaba both have built-in failsafes so to say a kill switch would be needed with one and not the other isn't true.

That said I certainly wouldn't depend solely on the built-in radio failsafe to protect your $1,500 ride or someone else. Prime example, among others, would be a good tumble which unplugs your battery... how does the built-in servo's work then? They don't!

A kill switch would kill the engine right away. Trust me, it's well worth the money.

I was told it is not needed with the spektrum because of a built in fail safe.

Whoever you talked to was probably not very experienced with large-scale gas RCs. Running a Spektrum radio on a gasser without a kill switch is risky business.

If the servo fries (which is common), the battery comes unplugged, or the linkage gets a rock stuck in it, or comes loose, a receiver failsafe will be useless and you'll have a runaway on your hands.

Don't bother with the Spectrum either, get yourself a Futaba..you'll be sorry if you do buy the Spectrum, lots of range issues with them..

Geez, going tomorrow to order, I better make up my mind. I'm thinking spektrum since I am new to the hobby and don't know how to properly set up the controller. The spektrum comes with "settings".

There both the same as far as settings you have to do it
As for Raido there not hard to do just read look and try no matter which one you get read instructions some one will help you

I knew I had to get a transmitter for the 5ive. Just had to figure out which one I wanted to match up to the truck. I went with spektrum, so, for all the futaba fans, I will say; I have to learn things the hard way. I have burning a hole in my lawn breaking it in, while I am waiting for the kill switch. Figured if it took off on me, I have 3 acres fenced in.

What transmitter did you buy
I bought the Spektrum DX3C. I know it's not the best but it will hold me over until I do more research. For $99 it does the job. When I asked about the 4r at hobby shop, he didn't know what more you get from it besides a larger screen and some tuning options. Convinced me, that it wasn't worth the extra money for a bashing truck.

Range for one extra Chanel's for power to run transponder or lights a Ross button to turn off motor with kill switch
Never skimp on raidos always buy the best I run spectrum nothing but R's they were given to us and I have a lot of receivers for them they are very good if I had unlimited money I'd run Futuba 4pk there $500 each and I'd need two of them that's just for two 1/5 losi then about 7 more receivers for 1/8 and 1/10 cars
Most hobby shops sell what they have on hand as the best and by some one that knows less than we do but because they work there they are the best

I agree, they would sell what is on hand but we did take both out of the box to compare, the 3C & 4R. The 3C will probably go to my 1/10 electrics in the future, for my kids to play around on.

Hey guys,just wanna say I to think futaba is better but I do run a lot of spectrums also and never had any range problems..I run a 4r on my 5t and it works great..maybe I'm just a lucky one that hasn't experienced any range issues yet.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks