Which differential to go for

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog

Hi all!

I am looking to buy a new differential for my fg mt (off course im going to buy the balldrives ).

Just wondering which is better and need less maintenance. Selflockin or viscous.
Im not a racer just a shelf queen builder and basher.
Driving the car on every surface (exept wather) even air.

Any help?

Yea and thanx with the help as well!!

Now there are some different ones of self locking which is good any links or fg ones are good (i was looking at the elcon diffs. Do i will need to change a lot of parts like raise the diff holders?)

Yea and thanx with the help as well!!

Now there are some different ones of self locking which is good any links or fg ones are good (i was looking at the elcon diffs. Do i will need to change a lot of parts like raise the diff holders?)

You can get the LSD versions off Ebay quite often, these come with 1-4 friction surfaces inside but they all do the same job.

The auto locking diffs (that I have seen) are an older design and do not use spline shafts so will not work unless you change your outdrives for the earlier allen type of fixing.
:)

thankx for the info Ducky. found one on the bay, is not an fg one so i am not going to go for it. checkedn hobbyteks site and they have the same lsp diff but fo the c5 and on road.... Any tip or any shops in europe who sells theese diffs?

Why not the Elcon diff.

18500.JPG

This differential is provided with spiral bevel gears.
Because of the sliding contact that these spiraled gears make their contact pressure is higher and the forces are divided over at least two teeth at all times. This results in a much stronger differential that is resistant to high forces that are imposed on the differentials, especially in off-road racing.
The differential is a closed system which is filled with approximately 10-12ml of oil.
When used in FG cars the raised diff mounts 18501/18502 are required for enough clearance from the chassis.
MT drivers need to mount the small dif gear (FG6048) or the Elcon helical gear set 14660 for correct mounting.
The differential is delivered assembled and pre-filled.

You can high up your diff mounts with pieces of aluminium, no problem.

I have the Hobbythek conversion set.
Than you build your own gears in this diff.
when I must choose now,,,,, I choose the Elcon diff.

Thanx for the answers...

As for the elcon diff i do not want that. Just becaue you hawe to raise the diff mounts and i do not know how they will work out

most diffs you'll have to raise anyhow, best diff from FG is the self locking adjustable 4 plate...I made some 5mm risers from alu plate and ground about 1mm of the chassis out which worked real well.
the elcon diff is also good as is the KPD one. An oddified mag diff is probably the king of fg diffs but good luck finding one of those

Yeah the fg one.
Was thinking too. Not a bad price, sure 200 euros will hurt my wallet a bit, for just a diff. But if i emagine that the car was bought in 2006 and the diff was never changed since, so this could take some more abuse.

Do you hawe to raise thoose diff mounts even if you hawe the alloy ones?? No matter which differential you go for?

I have the 4-plate LSD one, but even though they say 'self-locking' they don't actually 'lock' up, the friction plates only serve to minimise the wheel spin.

You would probably get as good performance from the 1 + 2 plate versions anyway, however I would bide your time until one pops up on Ebay for like £50. :)

The mag diff is designed for on-road use where traction is not as easily lost like on dirt, so I would avoid that one.

Great news......

Blown my diff tonight a hour ago. Sudden death :) So now i am really in to buying a diff.
I tried to find one of those lsp diffs but no luck. Mentioned before the c5 one is in the shop and i don't think it will fit...now i am totally confused.....:-D I hink i just buy a savage flux :-D

re you sure you blew it or did you spin a grub somewhere? Blowing a diff is a bit more difficult then we whine about it being unless your WOT on landing all the time. :laugh:

Blew it m8, absolutely. Diff inner looks like a 2nd WW battlefield. No wot landings here. That was my firs ever rc experience "now wot landings". when i take the pic you will see. A diff horror scene,.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks