Who Said these were Solid? ..... !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom3624

I've got a potentially very shiny - loads of solid, heavy alloy - FG MT.

I decided it was time for a little clean - reading all of the racer's threads of stripping down, and cleaning, oiling, rebuilding, etc., ......

This was after the recent 'engine / carburettor problems' - bolts used were too long .... another story but resolved now!! How it ever worked is a mystery ... !! It should be great now!

I've the Evo04 long alloy shocks, with the alloy rod ends - this means the inserts top and bottom which wear ....
I've had to replace ALL of these, after perhaps 8-10 hours of 'casual bashing' since the last time.
Seals are OK, so I've simply replaced the oil with fresh as there're no leaks.

The lower alloy support which as the headless screw/grub for the lower end was worn loose, so that's braced with Nylok nuts for now.

The right hand side bracing M4 bolt - previously A2 stainless - had snapped!! Fortunately removal was easy.

Whilst all was in pieces, knowing I'd had quite a decent 'splashing time' I've also replaced all 8 wheel bearings - rubber sealed as it's 'off-road'.

Interesting exercise, but proves that these are fairly high maintenance.
Al.

i strip mine down pretty much after every run & check the usual (bearings/nuts/bolts etc) ..aye they high maintenance but worth it, i actually enjoy stripping & re-building mine when i get time! :)

sod all that mate i clean it after a run and fix when things break lol and once a year a major strip down and rebuild cant be arsed with doing it after every run anymore clean it and shelf it thats the way ahead

With you on that one.
I let mine dry, then give a good wipe down .....
Brush out any debris.
Can't limit it to once a year, but as and when I'm able I give it a good strip down and clean.
On a serious note, which the above was of course (lol!) I was amazed just how easily those bush / shock inserts wear on the alloy shocks.

Having the 8-shock set-up for the MT, I've gone on the inner lower mounting point, with an overlong bolt with nylok nut on the other end, to limit the possibility of suspension failure.

Nearly good to go now.
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks