wiper motor steering servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I'm kicking this thread back to life because I still have issues getting this whole setup to work. Before I even purchased the servo Thor-15 I did some research to find out if this controller would work for me, I saw a couple of videos on YouTube where the poster was using one to very good effect. He was able to control the motor left, right and it would auto centre just like a normal hobby servo. I set mine up not unlike he did but all that happens is the linkage gets destroyed. It's almost as though the feedback circuit isn't working or something but bear in mind I now have two of these controllers and they both do the same exact thing. It's really getting on my nerves now because I even went to the expense of buying another radio with adjustable end points, dual rate and exponential settings and no matter what I do I'm still getting the same result. To add salt to the wound, in the video on YouTube, he seems to be using a very basic transmitter! So what am I doing wrong???? If I was a qualified electrician I suppose I wouldn't have a problem but I'm not, in fact I'm worse than noob level when it comes to things like this. Any help that anybody can give me to sort this out would be invaluable. Buying tone servos or the like is totally out of the question as are any cheaper alternatives as I simply haven't got the funds, plus I don't see the point if I have all the means to make a decent large servo with the supposed suitable controller I have.

I don't normally plead but now I'm am pleading for help to solve this problem. I know it has to be something stupid that I may have overlooked but I'm damned if I know what. If anyone can help you would be making a person very happy, as soon as I find out what's wrong then I can continue with the build but while I can't get this setup to work then it'll stay unfinished which would be a terrible shame. All the best ;)

I'm updating my thread because I have finally figured out what I was doing wrong thanks to some extremely valuable information provided by KustomKB. Now the info provided by custom CVD and especially nitro cat was really helpful, but my hat comes off to kustomkb. Now I'm going to share this with everyone who are having the same or similar problem as me who are using the servo Thor 15 controller and who aren't adept to electronics like me. It's extremely simple, something that can be easily overlooked; MAKE SURE THE DIRECTION OF THE OUTPUT SHAFT IS IN DIRECT OPPOSITE TO THE POT! what I mean is this: if you turn the pot manually, say to the left, the motor shaft wants to be turning right. This might be obvious to the rest of the layman's but not to me and I'm sure other people are in the same situation. So easy to overlook something lol anyway, thanks everyone for their help especially kustomkb :)

Hi nitro cat, lol yes you did thank you but I have to admit to not quite understanding fully what you meant. As my years progress I need everything spelt out to me in large letters written in crayon hahaha.

I didn't say it [emoji48]
Just thought I did [emoji56] not
Just getting old and love being right even if I wasn't [emoji20][emoji90]
Post some videos of it working
So I can say I helped [emoji12]

Hahaha don't worry nitro cat I'll back you up ;) I'll post a video showing it working over the weekend, I haven't had the time to refine the setup yet so what you see will be a very very rough mock up but it proves the concept ;).

Hi kustomkb! Yeah this hobby definitely demands more time than most of us can dedicate, hence why my build has been over a year and a half in the making and even now I still haven't got a final chassis design lol. It's a labour of love in most cases :)

Actually I was thinking about how the servo Thor 15 controller can get a tad warm, would it make any difference if I fix a aluminium heatsink to it somehow? I have two of these controllers and one of them got so warm the head shrink melted lol

Last edited:
I think the heat shrink is just there to keep the wires in one place tbh. The unit itself has an aluminium plate but I really don't think it's adequate or the heat shrink on mine would've melted so I think something should be done about that.

Meanwhile, I have tried to upload a video showing my servo working but I get an 'invalid file' message. Anybody know what video files are acceptable as the legend in the upload screen doesn't show video files. Do I need to provide a link to, say, YouTube?

I hope it's OK with the moderators to provide a YouTube link to my short clip of my servo.

Now, take into account all the video is showing a very rough mock up. I didn't see the point in making it look pretty until I knew it would work how I wanted. There were a couple of times where it didn't auto centre but that's because the hot melt glue that was holding the pot to the side of the motor broke away lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not race time for my car just yet unfortunately. I decided to redesign the whole chassis, right now I think it's too large for a couple of reasons. Because of the size it weighs more than I'd like. I can't gear it down anymore than it is otherwise I won't achieve the top end speed I'm after but at the same time I don't want to burn the clutch out and I will if I leave it like it is. Then I've got an idea for double wish bone suspension for the front end but necessity calls for strengthening up front. I also want to make the mid chassis to kind of hug the engine so I can mount it lower for better centre of gravity. I definitely have my work cut out lol

Well, half the fun is in the build right? I'm not sure whether to go independent rear suspension or stick to a swingarm. The latter is easier and lighter I suppose but it would be something if I could pull the former off somehow. I suppose when I actually start redesigning the chassis, that will dictate which choice I opt for. But alas, I have priorities like everyone else so progress from this stage is going to be sluggish at best but I will keep everyone updated when I have something to show you.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks