Wonky ignition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_Budman

So I recently purchased a Redcat Ramapge XR and as I am going through the break in process my ignition coil kept failing. At first I just bought a new coil and it fixed the problem but then the next day it went out again. I figured out that I could solve the problem by removing the flywheel casing and then brushing off the magnet and putting it all back together. This only solves the problem temporarily (a day or so). Is there a way to make it so I don't have to mess with my flywheel every time i want to run my car? or should I just get a new flywheel?

Are you sure it's the coil? Check power switch and if you have a kill switch check settings in remote. I had a problem that I thought was the coil too. Turns out the switch on the remote was set for a 3 position in stead of 2 position and could not fire up. Not even sure I know how that happened but it did and problem solved. Sometimes power switch goes bad to so that would make your kill switch get weird too. Just a thought here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power switch on receiver is what I'm referring too. Good luck

If you have a kill switch, check the settings, also verify that the coil is spaced correctly. Use a card to set the spacing, good luck and don't give up, you'll get it right.

Are you sure it's the coil? Check power switch and if you have a kill switch check settings in remote. I had a problem that I thought was the coil too. Turns out the switch on the remote was set for a 3 position in stead of 2 position and could not fire up. Not even sure I know how that happened but it did and problem solved. Sometimes power switch goes bad to so that would make your kill switch get weird too. Just a thought here.

I do not have a kill switch just an engine stop button which makes me think its the coil. But I will check the power switch to the receiver. Quick question; if I don't have power to my receiver will my car not spark? Because I think it will.

Thank you for your input!!!
RC Budman

It you have a kill switch no it will not. If no kill switch I do believe that it will fire up. Bad engine stop obviously will not allow you to kill the engine. Not sure if stating though. Don't grab the plug wire to kill engine. It will shock you. Just cover the exhaust up and your engine will shut down if you find you have that issue.

My car will stop every time once its running. I'm pretty sure it's the ignition coil or flywheel because I get no spark even when I change out my spark plug. I just ordered a new flywheel so we'll see if that's the problem. I think debris keeps getting in the way of the magnet on the flywheel or something... I also noticed that my flywheel is slightly scratched up, maybe from a rock. Anyways thank you for your input!

RC Budman

If you have a kill switch, check the settings, also verify that the coil is spaced correctly. Use a card to set the spacing, good luck and don't give up, you'll get it right.

I have set the spacing properly and I do not have a kill switch.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks