Wont turn over, help if any.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have checked the spark and looks normal but then again what does normal look like for a 5th scale as this is my first issue with 5th scale ever. I will try to unstick the kill switch. Also everything on my baja is stock. Also how would one check coil gap?

I have checked the spark and looks normal but then again what does normal look like for a 5th scale as this is my first issue with 5th scale ever. I will try to unstick the kill switch. Also everything on my baja is stock. Also how would one check coil gap?

The coil / flywheel gap should be 0.3mm so you can either get is smack on with a feeler gauge or use a business card or similar for an approximate guide (which most people use).

Is there anyone else you know with a 5th scale who could take a look? A fresh pair of eyes is sometimes a good thing as you can become snow blind the more you look at them!

Another thing to try, take the cap off the fuel tank and try to start it. It could be creating a vacuum due to a blocked vent and stopping the fuel coming through.

I don't know any one near me that has one yet. I have unscrewed the gas cap and tryed but not taken it fully off.

Weak spark:

Good spark(vid says weak spark, but its fine) :

a weak spark will be yellowish and ant fire very inconsistantly, a good spark will be consistent and blue
as far as flywheel-coil gap i usually use a piece paper folder over twice on small engines, i find the closer you get it the easier it starts and stronger it runs, you do need to be careful cause you get it too close it will start shaving it self

Last edited by a moderator:
i did junk the one that came with the baja and got a ngk plug. Is it possible that there could be something in there preventing it from contacting( coil/flywheel)?

have you tried pouring a little gas down the spark plug hole and pulling it over, that usually works

Ive been running mu crap km plug for like 10 tanks now, no issue.
Check your compression, go buy a cheap gauge from a auto parts store with a 10mm (i think that is the size of it) adapter and get the readings, it sounds to me like you may have lost compression if it just wouldn't start, you'll run into that with Chinese clone engines, I bought a 150cc chinese scooter for $75 that had the same thing happen, just needed some new rings, and some tlc, I now have a kick ass scooter i spent under $200 on.

i wishi still had my rocket... I miss it... now im depressed...I only have a scooter...

Last edited:
i did junk the one that came with the baja and got a ngk plug. Is it possible that there could be something in there preventing it from contacting( coil/flywheel)?
if you getting a spark by chance does the carb have a choke? if so have you utilized it? keep it closed till you hear a putter, open it up and it should putter a bit more or start,
when you pull the plug was it right after your start attempts? if so was the plug wet at all? do you have any fuel coming out of the exhaust after you been trying to start it? finally have you reset to factory on the carb settings?
sounds like a lot of questions but i get the feeling you drowning out,
if you have not done so reset your carb settings to factory 1-3/16 low, 1-1/4 high oi believe, the idle screw should be around 1mm if your not sure on the idle screw it in till full back off about 1-2 turns your can redjust later.
make sure the engine is clear of exess fuel before trying to start after you have done the above

is your plug gapped corectly? and also just cause you bought a new plug doesn't mean you didnt get a bad one, my kx250 used to be pick about which plugs it liked and didnt

The old and new plugs are gap right. I have tryed gas on the piston, starting fluid in the carb no luck.

Well it sounds like your getting fuel, spark, air, so the only thing left is compression

Like I said chinese knock off engines have been known to randomly lose compression while running, what will happen is they lose compression while running, but will still run, and not start when you stop running and go to restert it. Ive had it happen to me plenty of times, you then replace the crap chinese parts with oe parts and your good to go

take it to a small engine shop and have them look ar it if you cant get it started, they use that engine on tone of lawn equipment, like chainsaws, leaf blowers, vaccums, roto tillers, etc so they should be able to tell you whats up

Last edited:
im told that rovan/km carbs are crap, so you might want to look into a walbro if your having problems. im not speaking from experience, only what ive heard on forums

im just going to save up till i can get a 3hp motor, then when the km goes out i can swap it with out haveing to wait for it to ship.

Not a bad idea, but you can rebuild a km motor with good parts and have no issues with it, its probably cheaper.
although im one to talk,I have a spare engine sitting in my garage for my pickup, just in case I accidently feed it some swamp water, It wouldn't be the first engine I killed by going through deep mud, and probably wont be the last, driving through virgin swamps is fun as hell

Ok since my last post I had it running really good and a few days ago I went to start it and she started normal and after a min or so it shut off. Should I just upgrade my carb? the needles are at factory spec.

Ok since my last post I had it running really good and a few days ago I went to start it and she started normal and after a min or so it shut off. Should I just upgrade my carb? the needles are at factory spec.

i would replace the plug wire first ,no matter how good the spark looks. mine and my friends buggy done the same symptoms as your saying .we changed the plug wire and have had no probs at all.the plug wires imo are not very good.you can try that before you go and change carb around .if you have the carb set to factory setting and still have the prob . i bet money it's the plug wire.i bought a msd one from dds it was 13.00 bucks.but if you have any stock car plug wires laying around they will work to. also very easy to do .let us know what happens .:D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks