wrong way round clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo

fitting a new clutch in my sq baja tommorow, heard people are running them the wrong way round to get them to ingage quicker with a 8000rpm red spring,is it just a case of turning the whole clutch round or putting the shoes on back to front, and how do,s that work?????

i did try this on my beetle worked realy well dosnt rev up as much before taking off like it would fitted correct but does work i have changed it back now though as i took engine out for head gasket change put a copper one in and noticed fair bit of clutch dust and marks to show slight ware on the edges ie contact patches so not 100% sure on how long it would last like it

if you want it to engage sooner then why don't you run a 6000 spring? isn't the purpose of putting on a 8000 to rev higher to engage? the guy i bought my baja from had the clutch turned around. i put it back the way it's made to be and i found it works alot better.

if you want it to engage sooner then why don't you run a 6000 spring? isn't the purpose of putting on a 8000 to rev higher to engage? the guy i bought my baja from had the clutch turned around. i put it back the way it's made to be and i found it works alot better.

It was made to run backward. The clutch was designed to run the way its installed.

i want it to engage at about 7500rpm so a 6000rpm spring would be no good,

I think you're talkign of 2 things;
1. The engine speed the clutch engages at - 6k or 8k.
2. HOW the clutch engages - this is the 'reverse technique' and I believe shouldn't affect the engine speed. If you've a 6k spring, it'll engage at 6k, etc.
If the engine's 'spooled up', i.e. revving higher, as in the 8k spring then there'll be more power off the line. If the bite is harder with the shoes reversed, I would guess that the 8k spring is better to avoid the engine bogging off the line, BUT I would also guess the wear can be a tad extreme, on the shoes and the clutch bell ... good luck.

Avatar's on form as usual Pablo!!
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks