YOUR BRAKE SET UP cable/hydro/standard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc2 man

Reading the Rules!
hello lads.

just want to get some opinions on this.ok my ideal brake set up would be cable fronts(strong but not too much) with hydros on the rear.

with this set up i could have good braking power without loosing the tail whip that is so handy with stronger rear vs front set up.

what do you think is the best set up.
got duckys opinion and slawhammers.

as you know ducky runs hydros all round and slawhammer rekons that power should be more on the front to deaden the wheels that are being pushed by the rear(he rekons better braking set up) first as opposed to stronger brakes at the rear.
a viewer called steelrodeo with an fg also agrees with my set up.

sure everybody has differnt opinions i spose.

what do you think and who agrees with me about the tail whip(as in spinning the rear with the rear brakes when more powerfull than front.

or what way do you think i should set mine up? i have one axel set of cable brakes and one set of hydros.
cheers

Last edited:
hey dc2..after reading the other "views" on this matter....i myself would go cables rear, hydros front..but for the application you want...ie more brake bias in the rear to kick the ass round....but then why even bother with the front brakes at all if that is your desired effect??
I still prefer the better brakes up front...a more controlled braking in my opinion....

cheers for the input kwaqr

i see what your saying

i have never drove with such good front brakes but a mate of mine always crashed a lot and he blamed his hydros on front.

maybe was just his bad driven..lol

hehe...maybe had them too tight??? like the calipers to close together??? i have just recently installed hydros front and rear...and since i don't have a radio with mixing or a fourth channel...i have just "loosened" the rear brakes to not grab as much as the front ones....

no he had them fine,as meant to be.

cool,do you like them?
good power yeah?
where did you get them,and any pics?
post up here if you like.

i don't ask for much do i :clown:

i am getting mine now should have them from hobbythek before the weekend,i will post up on my (fg beetle rebuild) thread,they are mecatek one axel set,but not sure which axel i am going to mount them on.

i already have cables on the rear.
maybe you might be right good power on the front could be nice too,precise braking for a change :)

hey dc..haven't tried them yet unfortunately...so have yet to see what they can do...and as of yet..haven't even taken pics....i should though....just been busy with work...
i say put them on the front...and worst case scenario..you don't like that braking power..switch em to the rear....

good thinking.

i must decide.
lets hear what others here think when they comment.
thanks man.

always good to get the input.

you should post up pics of your machine when you can.

my ideal brake set-up would be hydros all around using your brake mixer on the radio to adjust front and rear balance. i have 4 wheel cable disc on my on-road. i like them and i don't need any more power then that as its on-road. it stops on a dime. but tuning them is a "forever" process. after i pull the front or rear apart it takes me a good tank to get them to pull even again. hydro's would help with easer tuning, but thats about it.

You get what you pay for ...

Brake, for a start - you definitely need them!

I started with standard rear ... thats pants!

Upgraded to cable front, it was ok but my open diff meant that rears stopped working as soon as a wheel lost grip, and produced a spin. They were also hard to get enough pressure to really stop from anything over 20-25mph.

I was going to change rears to cable (one of our crowd has cables front and rear and is happy with them), but found some KPD's on eBay at a bargain price (spares are non existent now though, so beware) ... then spent a few day engineering mounts and radio tray.

Cables are good and they pretty much fit without an engineering shop! but I think hydro's are much better for a highly tuned motor (once you bleed the things, that is), I have adjusted the eccentric control so the first half of the stick movement does 25% to get some control as you can flip if you brake to hard. It's a learning process.

I run throttle on channel 2 and brakes on 3, each servo only responding to its own stick movement. You can adjust bias by moving mount on servo horns.
REMEMBER - you will need TWO failsafe's if you want to kill the throttle and apply the brakes.

Check out my other posts for pictures ...

https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2064&d=1231488750

Last edited:
cool nigel

ok can anybody tell me what i need to do in order to run my cables front and hydros rear,i mean as in i taught the two servos would run off of the same channel,as in when the second servo pluged in i taught it would work in combination with the other one....

am i wrong,i don't think this can be done...or can it?

Im with Kryptonite on this one mate, you have to mix the two channels on your tx, I used to own a fg comp road car and i used a futaba 3vc. Kpds all round and adjusted the bias on the trany, just like a real f1 car has.

very nice super,very nice.

how do you set up that 3rd channel set up then?
im confused now about this,i understand all the setting up of the actual hydros themselves,but this new stuff with the electronix is confusing....

just wait till you get your new transmiter and it will show you how todo it in the instructions or we will talk you through it as i cant remember off hand and it depends on what tx you get.

You could change out your rears to front and get the Elcon rear?

https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29356
http://www.elcon-models.com/products/marder/18550differentialbrake

I have cable front and stock rear. The best thing you can do is use a real high torque servo if using cables. I also use a 3 channel radio and mix so that I can adjust brake power from front to rear.

If you do not have a 3 channel radio I would recommend to buy a 4 channel Futaba (a bit more $$) that way you can use a failsafe in the 4th cannel. That's what I would do if I did it over. I think the next model will get the 3 channel and the fg will get a new 4ch.:cool2:

setting extra channel

It's quite easy really once you get your head round it.

You have two main options as I see it.

1) - use a Y-splitter to send signals to two servo's
  • Advantage - Easy plug and play
  • Disadvantage - you need to set springs on the servo horn/link to allow for the reverse action. ie when braking the throttle link will also move (as original setup)
2) - use channel 3 for second servo
(Just to confuse there are two options to this)
Throttle/Front on one servo - Rear on other
  • Advantage - you can use one of the switches to act as a hand brake, and allow bias control from the tranny.
  • Disadvantage - where to mount the master cylinder for the brakes ( cable is easier to fit)
Throttle on one servo and both brakes on other

• Advantage - you don't need an expensive servo for throttle
  • Disadvantage - not easy bias adjustment

The set up on the tranny is fairly straight forward ... select channel 2 for positive movement of left stick and channel 3 for negative, using programmable mixing (PMX on Futaba). I have allowed the throttle to go to -5, just to make sure throttle is fully shut while I am braking, using end point adjustments.
The result of this is pushing stick forward moves throttle and the brake stays still, pulling back closes throttle a fraction past shut then only moves brake servo after that.

Hope this makes some sense ...

If your on Futaba and don't have a book ... look here
http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html

I have a stock rear and cable fronts. I have them set up to lock the rears at 1/2 brake and lock the fronts at 3/4. Then it is just a matter of adjusting the ABS on my transmitter. Works well and it's cheap.

Trip..

ABS just runs your battery pack down real fast.
I never run a fail safe, always used the 3vc's built in one, this way it frees up the thrid channel for your brake bias and can adjust for what ever surface your running on as you drive , nice and easy.Never had any probs in 3 yrs.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks