Zenoah 26 vs CY 29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2FG

A friend bought a new Redcat MT with the CY 29 and i was not impressed at all with the speed. When I got my used FG MT I instantly knew it was faster than his. I know that his truck is heavier but figured the motor would even it out. Just curious if the Zenoah is as strong as the CY 29.

I've got both engines mentioned, CY is a 2-bolt and the zenoah has a 4-bolt head design, and to be honest in all the time I've had them I've not seen any difference in them I terms of reliability, and the performance difference as standard was fairly minimal. The CY has the noticeable grunt over the 26cc but then I had the latter ported and screwed around with it a little, it's now quicker than the 29cc, and it's also in an FG MB.
Either way, they're both good engines in my opinion, and for just bashing or club racing they'll be ideal. Perhaps your mates hasn't got it quite tuned up how it should, though as u say it is in a heavy truck, maybe geared differently too.

i don't think power wise there is any difference. i believe zen's are more forgiving and durable but opinions change. ill stick with zens, had a couple of bad experiences with CY, the small amount extra for a zen is well worth it in my opinion.

ive ran both cy and zen and i see very litlle diffrence between both engines power wise anyway

zen mite be more reliable and a better brand but cy is very underrated as an engine im running a cy 26 at the moment just covering over 7 months without a problem, its my second sparkplug.

both very good engines i would go with zen purely because its a better brand on paper. hope this helps

My other friend has a CY (I believe) that came in his King Motors Baja and out of nowhere the head just cracked but he really liked that engine. I guess my friend's 30+ lb. Redcat is maybe just not geared or tuned right...I was just curious. Thanks for the replies.

I think t2 nailed it. There's a lot more that goes into performance than just the motor itself.

The only big issues I've read about with CY's (yes I read and try and do my homework before spending my hard earned cash) is the cylinder plating, and the assembly on some units is questionable. That being said, I'm gonna throw a cheap big bore on my CY since I already have the engine and it's paid for. When it dies, it will be 4 bolt Zen build time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks