Zenoah 290RC has no spark - help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Macdonald

So I installed a new Zenoah 290RC from DDM in my KM T1000A. Everything was fine for about a week, but today I had just started running for about 5 minutes and the motor just shut down completely. I did all the usual checks and it definitely has no spark (tested using a spark tester).

Can someone explain how you troubleshoot no spark? Can I test the coil? The spark plug lead? I have a volt/ohm meter...

Thanks!

Steve

So I installed a new Zenoah 290RC from DDM in my KM T1000A. Everything was fine for about a week, but today I had just started running for about 5 minutes and the motor just shut down completely. I did all the usual checks and it definitely has no spark (tested using a spark tester).

Can someone explain how you troubleshoot no spark? Can I test the coil? The spark plug lead? I have a volt/ohm meter...

Thanks!

Steve
Check the gap between the coil and flywheel.
You just put a business card between the coil and flywheel to check.
If that's OK I'd replace the coil.

Make sure to check settings for kill switch, if you have one. Maybe something changed without you realizing what you have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to check settings for kill switch, if you have one. Maybe something changed without you realizing what you have done.
It was the kill switch. The kill switch was stuck in the kill position. I used the opportunity to install a Killer RC Super Bee switch I had in my parts bin. The truck runs again, but I'm not sure the Killer RC Super Bee actually works fully with KM...

Anyone tried the Super Bee with KM before?

KM wouldn't be an issue. It's the reciever and remote that will determine that. I'd say it would be harder to set up with a FlySky as thier settings would not be the same as Futaba or Spektrum. So it still would work but no real support on a cheaper set up to get it working right.

One day mine had no spark. After checking a few things, I noticed my kill switch, the button had stayed pushed in when I shut it off. That gave me no spark. Grit and dirt had gotten in and around the plastic button. Popped it out, unplugged it and removed the plastic yellow button, cleaned it out good and filed all four side of the button for easier operation. Sometimes what seems like a major problem, turns out to be a simple one.

One day mine had no spark. After checking a few things, I noticed my kill switch, the button had stayed pushed in when I shut it off. That gave me no spark. Grit and dirt had gotten in and around the plastic button. Popped it out, unplugged it and removed the plastic yellow button, cleaned it out good and filed all four side of the button for easier operation. Sometimes what seems like a major problem, turns out to be a simple one.
Exactly what happened to me. Replaced the switch with a killer bee, which works great.

I always shut mine down using the kill switch on the controller.
I never use the button on the motor

I do the same thing, from running gas boats, Homelites and then Zens for 20 or so years, they never had kill buttons. When setting up, first thing I do is remove idle screw and adjust with trim, rev to shut off. I think not ever using it and one day using it when I had it up on the bench, I didnt realize the switch had taken in so much dirt.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks