Zenoah in a 5b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46u

OK on another forum I was told in order to put a Zen in a 5b I had to install a CY clutch housing. I all ways thought the extra hole in the rear chassis was for a Zen and is why the kit came with a spare shorter spacer. To me just looking at pictures the Zen clutch housing mount ti is located closer to the motor then a CY which only makes since when looking at the holes in the chassis. Does any one know if that extra hole is for mounting a Zen? Thanks

DSCF6171.gif

Last edited:
No 46.I havn't got a clue what the holes for but you have been told right that the CY housing has to be used.
J

I talked to a girl at HPI yesterday but not sure she new what she was talking about as she keep putting me on hold to ask others the questions but she said that the other hole and extra spacer was for mounting a Zen. I do not have a Zen or a Zen clutch housing but from what I can see form pictures it sure looks like the Zen clutch housing has the mount closer to the engine which looks like it might work with the hole in question. Does any one have a Zen with the stock clutch housing to see if it might line up? I would think you would be able to tell with out having to pull the engine but see how it looks from setting a Zen on the bottom of the rear chassis with the HPI baja up side down.
Thanks!

This is not true..... i have replaced the stock cy 26s motor with a obr longrod zenoah motor and it uses the same mounting hole as the cy

Where you by chance using the OBR clutch housing with the seal and o-ring?

Yes using obr c/housing set up but the the cy engine was with the cy clutch housing and it used the same mounting holes as the zen

The extra hole your talking about is for the electric conversion kit which users all 4 holes

Last edited:
Yes using obr c/housing set up but the the cy engine was with the cy clutch housing and it used the same mounting holes as the zen

The extra hole your talking about is for the electric conversion

In this case yes you use the same hole as a CY engine. But a Zen clutch housing is different.

Maybe they planned ahead

The eclectic conversion is not made by HPI so I do not think they would put the hole in for a after market part and certainly not before they ever came out. I hope one day to get a Zen clutch cover or a Zen motor and see if it lines up with the hole in question.
Thanks!

Zen and cy clutch housings are both different so yeah you might be right

post it on hbf you should get an anwser quickly

Zen and cy clutch housings are both different so yeah you might be right

post it on hbf you should get an anwser quickly

Thanks I did. Did you by chance look at the two links I posted above with the CY and Zen clutch housing? Any one in the US have a Zen clutch housing they would like to sell.

Thanks I did. Did you by chance look at the two links I posted above with the CY and Zen clutch housing? Any one in the US have a Zen clutch housing they would like to sell.

Why do you want a zen clutch housing ? you know you have to modify it to work with hpi baja! thats why we all use cy and tr c/h

Why do you want a zen clutch housing ? you know you have to modify it to work with hpi baja! thats why we all use cy and tr c/h

This way I can confirm whether if fits the hole in question or prove it does not. A new Zen clutch housing is only $6. I sent HPI a email about this but they take a while to answer emails. As I said above I called HPI yesterday and the girl I talked to said that hole is for mounting a Zen but not sure she new what she was talking about. She keep putting me on hold to ask someone else.

All so there is a extra spacer that came in my kit that does not tell you what if is for.

the mod you have to do is something to do with the zenoah clutch housing interfering with the brake rod.....
i don't thing its worth the trouble:lol: goodluck anyway

I just read a post where I posted this same question on another forum. The guy just installed a stock Zen G290 and indeed the other hole is for mounting a Zen with the stock Zen clutch housing. He all so said he did not have any problem with the brake rod other then it did rub on the Zen clutch housing a little but no real problem. I am sure a minute of two with a dremel would fix that. All so the spare spacer that came with my 5b SS kit and was left over after the build is indeed for mounting a Zen.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks