Zippos 5b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo855

well heres some pics of mine

heres the 5b on the way back from the hobby shop

2011-07-29135804.jpg

pipe that is from my old clone and transfered to the 5b, rewelded the tab mount back to it, so i decided to polish it up
2011-08-04174521.jpg

after the new beadlocks and rims
2011-08-05232555.jpg

in need of new front foams, still deciding on what tires i want to get, would like to get some all terrains, but the prices i've seen so far have made me wait.
2011-08-05232604.jpg

got everything transfered to the 5b from the clone, still have the crappy clone sh ocks on it, but i have ss shocks in the front, and will be getting the ss shocks in the rear. they have been rebuilt with the hpi kit, but still not the smoothness it should be
2011-08-05232609.jpg

sitting next my old clone, now my bro in laws

2011-08-07143747.jpg

2011-08-07143732.jpg

2011-08-07150750.jpg

couple vids

well the rear tires have been lacking grip for a while, and sometimes you just need to give it the push to take it from the want list to the need list. so i sent the tires out in style

5 or 10 minutes later or so i remembered that i had i had a temp gun in my toolbox, and heres what the tires showed
2011-08-14150503.jpg

edit
current upgrades
zenoah g260
tuned pipe
ss shocks
upgraded trans gears
2.4 spektrum rx
few other things that are escaping my mind

future upgrades that i've been debating
30.5 race ported 2mm stroker upgrade
dual boost bottle
throttle servo upgrade
2 speed kit
window kit
and once again a few others that are escaping my mind.

started making a light kit for it, just need to source some brighter leds
2011-04-01220914.jpg

2011-04-01223818.jpg

2011-04-01223812.jpg

2011-04-01223808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. When taking temperature readings they very quite a bite depending where you take them as much as 50 or more degrees. I have check in 3 places. At the plug at the bottom of the cylinder on the clutch side and about 1/4 the way down on the cylinder on the clutch side which was the hottest spot.

Very nice. When taking temperature readings they very quite a bite depending where you take them as much as 50 or more degrees. I have check in 3 places. At the plug at the bottom of the cylinder on the clutch side and about 1/4 the way down on the cylinder on the clutch side which was the hottest spot.
on this i don't usually put the temp gun on it, working with small engines for a living i can usually tell if its running rich or lean by listening and seeing hows its responding / acting under power. the temp gun there was showing the tire temp. but thank you for the advice on where i should take it on the motor :) might check it now just to see. lol

Really nice looking bajas mate, i must say the clones have taken over the market. after all hpi is made in china to.
lol, the clone seems to be a rather nice entry way into the 1/5 scale hobby. i liked mine when i ran it, but decided to part ways with it when i came across this 5b :)

heres what showed up today, going to see how these do.
2011-09-01183420.jpg

I do not normally use a temp gun either on my 1/5 scale but testing a modified engine cover to see if the engine was getting too hot. I think I am fairly good at tuning been working on motorcycles and much of the time making my living for 40 plus years. LOL

Even when I run nitro I tune to ear and performance then check it with a heat gun to make sure I am not running too lean. Being nitro engines are not self cooling and being so small can over heat quickly.

I do not normally use a temp gun either on my 1/5 scale but testing a modified engine cover to see if the engine was getting too hot. I think I am fairly good at tuning been working on motorcycles and much of the time making my living for 40 plus years. LOL

Even when I run nitro I tune to ear and performance then check it with a heat gun to make sure I am not running too lean. Being nitro engines are not self cooling and being so small can over heat quickly.

definately know where your coming from, been working on lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, etc for the last 15 years, started at 11 so its kinda a knack picking up on the sound of it as you know. and yeah nitros are in a league of their own when it comes to temps. you can have her tuned properly but still run in to heat issues from time to time.

I defiantly worked on my shear of law equipment. Kinda of off topic but here is a story that happen not so long ago. My neighbor bought what looked like a all most new weed-eater at a yard sale. He used it about 1 hour and it locked up. He did not want to put any more money in it so he gave it to me. Said if it was not worth fixing through it away.

I took it apart and one of the crank bearings was bad. I checked and the only way the manufacturer sold the bearings was to buy a whole bottom end for $80. NO WAY. Got looking at some crank bearings and seals I had for my 5b and come to find out they where the same as what was in the weed-eater. When I was done had less then $20 in it and a little of my time. Been running fine ever since.

I defiantly worked on my shear of law equipment. Kinda of off topic but here is a story that happen not so long ago. My neighbor bought what looked like a all most new weed-eater at a yard sale. He used it about 1 hour and it locked up. He did not want to put any more money in it so he gave it to me. Said if it was not worth fixing through it away.

I took it apart and one of the crank bearings was bad. I checked and the only way the manufacturer sold the bearings was to buy a whole bottom end for $80. NO WAY. Got looking at some crank bearings and seals I had for my 5b and come to find out they where the same as what was in the weed-eater. When I was done had less then $20 in it and a little of my time. Been running fine ever since.
yeah its kinda weird how the oems want the cost of the unit for some of the parts. lol. sometimes you just have to look around and you can find some useful things in unordinary places.

Very nice mate great looking baja you have and great pics toooo!! :D
thanks man, hopefully with spring / summer i'll be able to get more vids and pics

been a while since i've posted anything but picked up a 5b roller, set up my bro in law on it. have been redoing both over the past few months, have been spending a whole lot of money at ddm, lot of time redoing things, and have been happy with the progress so far.

did some minor reworking to start it all.

a while back had a head gasket blow, found some nice jumps around my area, was out playing, lost power, started hearing a slight knock. cut it off, and let it sit for a week (or 4) before i got to tear into it. found the head bolts had started coming loose, common prob in 2 cycles, so i did a few upgrades while i was there. pulled it all down, cleaned it all up, inspected cylinder and piston, new head gasket, new carb, walbro 990, ddm velocity stack and air filter, and the outerwear pull start cover. and while i was doing this came across a deal on some windows. got them installed. and she was back up and running.

2011-12-16232942.jpg

i went ahead and placed a nice order to get some upgrades. and i love ddm, takes 2 days from them to me with normal ship :).
decided to do a major overhaul on this so i tore it all down last night and was left with this
2012-02-10234939.jpg

also decided to take advantage of their deal of the day and picked up some street tires to play around with.
list of parts
1 set mounted rear tarmac busters
1 set mounted front tarmac busters
1 set of proline front inner foams to replace the shot ones on current tires.
1 piston stopper
1 30.5 cc esp modified torquer upgrade. 36 mm piston, 2mm stroker crank
1" ddm velocity stack
1 orange skull gas cap to replace my stock leaking cap
1 outerwear crankcase / flywheel cover
1 8000 rpm spring for the clutch.

2012-02-11134703.jpg
( pic turned out crappy)

36mm esp modified cylinder.
2012-02-12135752.jpg

36mm piston and 2mm stroker crank
2012-02-12135811.jpg

All reassembled with new gaskets and plug.
2012-02-12142400.jpg

got some more work done, some i got pics of, some i didnt. but the engine is completely reassembled with the new outerwear, new plug, etc. intake and exhaust will get mounted during installation on buggy. but here she is for now.
2012-03-11170654.jpg

2012-03-11170706.jpg

getting closer, just got 1 or 2 more repairs to make, then finish up the cosmetics and this beast will be ready to go.

Wheres the quality control? They should turn to dust at the same time. Lol. New ones installed. lf foam is pile of dust on left, rf foam is split foam in middle, new foam on right.
2012-03-16192321.jpg

I think this is the 2nd to last repair. Then cap off cosmetics and fire it up.
Nice groove worn.
2012-03-18184211.jpg

Replacement heavy duty diff cups
2012-03-18184238.jpg

Forgot to mention that we are redoing my bro inlaws Baja. Setting it up on the Baja 5b roller we picked up. And talked him into rebuilding his engine with same ESp kit. Big bore ESP 30.5 2mm stroker. Wt -990 high performance Carb. Dominator v2 pipe. 1"velocity stack and ddm air filter kit. So pretty much identical engines for the most part.
20120331_230121.jpg

had some more goodies show up, and added them to some that i already had. i did find that i need new rear shock shafts so time to find some of those. like i said at the start, slow and long process. lol always one more thing. and decided to pick up a killer bee while i was here, and it happened to be the ddm deal of the day last week.
latest shipment. lol
20120402_182603.jpg

(tried to fix the past tense present tense since some of these posts have been on other forums a while back)

dual boost bottle
throttle servo upgrade
2 speed kit
window kit

Nice baja.I saw on your upgrade list "Dual boost bottles" Do yourself a favour and scratch that one.
As many members here will tell you they are a waste of time.Buy something that will do you more good than harm.
J

dual boost bottle
throttle servo upgrade
2 speed kit
window kit

Nice baja.I saw on your upgrade list "Dual boost bottles" Do yourself a favour and scratch that one.
As many members here will tell you they are a waste of time.Buy something that will do you more good than harm.
J

How about a 19y/o 6' blonde nymphomaniac with 34dd, loads of money, big house, great job and no pre-nup.

Lmao. That's good stuff.
as for the bottles I gave that idea up a while back. Was told the same thing other places. Did research and found out money could go better places. Mikes got the best idea on what to spend it on tho. Lol

the bones were going to get replaced with some more stockers, but i decided to go ahead and upgrade them as well. picked up some dark soul gen 3, with new style pins to throw on it. and they had a sale on the cf brake setup, i had really good luck with the aluminum pads and cf discs on my jato, so im hoping for similar results here
20120413_191254.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks