Crawler Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazooRC

Build Thread Contributor
I know a lot of us are also into crawlers. Let’s use this post to talk crawlers, showcase what ya brought and ask questions. I was heavy into crawlers myself before I fell back in love with gas rigs. Let’s see what everyone’s working on.

I’ll start it off. Here’s my pride and joy scratch build MOA. Yes those are 1/6 scale tires 😈IMG_3175.jpeg

This is my other custom scratch build using mostly UTB18 parts and custom super wheels I designed.
IMG_3176.jpeg

Last edited:
I know a lot of us are also into crawlers. Let’s use this post to talk crawlers, showcase what ya brought and ask questions. I was heavy into crawlers myself before I fell back in love with gas rigs. Let’s see what everyone’s working on.

I’ll start it off. Here’s my pride and joy scratch build MOA. Yes those are 1/6 scale tires 😈View attachment 92861

This is my other custom scratch build using mostly UTB18 parts and custom super wheels I designed.
View attachment 92862
To be honest, I like crawling more than any other form of rc. I was into it before there were any RTRs or even kits. Axial didn't exist. In fact, the guy in the background in the second pic had the first axial crawler model that existed. It was only a month or two old in the pic. Mine was the red bug. Built on a Blue By U chassis with locked Traxxas stampede transmission, Tamiya TLT axles, Traxxas T-max shocks. Driveshafts were Traxxas units that I had to modify. 4 wheel steering and a 55 turn motor.

The rocks are huge at our former playground and these little 1/10 scale crawlers couldn't make it very far. We had a course chalked out that was maybe 100 ft long at most. We crawled every Sunday morning all summer. Boats cruising the channel. Bikinis... 😜 Anyway, that is a channel between lake Michigan and Muskegon lake. Its like a mile long. I regret not building a super class crawler back when they still looked somewhat like a real vehicle. I was going to build one on an NN or Stick chassis with built Clod axles. Or a Hustler tube chassis. Life got in the way and those type of crawlers are gone. My plan is to get the axial SCX6 honcho and mod the 💩 out of it. I hope someone will make a tube chassis kit for it eventually. Basically a 1/6 Capra is what I'd like.
c2.JPGc7.JPG

Last edited:
To be honest, I like crawling more than any other form of rc. I was into it before there were any RTRs or even kits. Axial didn't exist. In fact, the guy in the background in the second pic had the first axial crawler model that existed. It was only a month or two old in the pic. Mine was the red bug. Built on a Blue By U chassis with locked Traxxas stampede transmission, Tamiya TLT axles, Traxxas T-max shocks. Driveshafts were Traxxas units that I had to modify. 4 wheel steering and a 55 turn motor.

The rocks are huge at our former playground and these little 1/10 scale crawlers couldn't make it very far. We had a course chalked out that was maybe 100 ft long at most. We crawled every Sunday morning all summer. Boats cruising the channel. Bikinis... 😜 Anyway, that is a channel between lake Michigan and Muskegon lake. Its like a mile long. I regret not building a super class crawler back when they still looked somewhat like a real vehicle. I was going to build one on an NN or Stick chassis with built Clod axles. Or a Hustler tube chassis. Life got in the way and those type of crawlers are gone. My plan is to get the axial SCX6 honcho and mod the 💩 out of it. I hope someone will make a tube chassis kit for it eventually. Basically a 1/6 Capra is what I'd like.
Thats what I’m talking about. I remember when the tmaxx came out. Good times. lol that’s impressive though taking all those parts to make a crawler. Props there brotha 🤙🏼 Super class crawlers is what got me hooked. Then they disappeared. I hear ya with life getting in the way.
Yea you can kinda. Only problem is the size and weight it’s going to be very prone to flipping.
$2500 will get you the whole package... I can think of WAY BETTER ways to spend that much money.
Exxocaged on YouTube has this bouncer chassis. Looks wicked 🤙🏼

I like the long run times, the quiet, not that I have a problem with gas car noise, but the relaxed, quiet pace of crawling is nice. I like the technical driving aspect. I crawled full size Jeeps so it's in my blood.

Far far less breakage with crawlers in my experience too. RC crawlers that is. Lol

I like the long run times, the quiet, not that I have a problem with gas car noise, but the relaxed, quiet pace of crawling is nice. I like the technical driving aspect. I crawled full size Jeeps so it's in my blood.

Far far less breakage with crawlers in my experience too. RC crawlers that is. Lol
Same, back when I lived in the desert we used to go wheeling at Moab all the time. Good times. I'm guessing from the user name you have a CJ5?

Same, back when I lived in the desert we used to go wheeling at Moab all the time. Good times. I'm guessing from the user name you have a CJ5?
Actually I had a 97 and 99 TJ. The year in my username is from something else. We crawled in Michigan and the badlands off-road park in Indiana.

I had Jeeps back in the mid80's. CJ5's and a1947 2A.
That little 2A was a blast. Installed late model axles instead of the old style with that giant steering knuckle , axles under leaf springs , Full roll cage. Small block Chevy powered and even had a beer keg mounted in the bed for a fuel tank. Not the safest vehicle I ever owned but probably had the most fun with it.
Now I have to dig up some pictures ; I know I have them but might have to do a little digging.

I had Jeeps back in the mid80's. CJ5's and a1947 2A.
That little 2A was a blast. Installed late model axles instead of the old style with that giant steering knuckle , axles under leaf springs , Full roll cage. Small block Chevy powered and even had a beer keg mounted in the bed for a fuel tank. Not the safest vehicle I ever owned but probably had the most fun with it.
Now I have to dig up some pictures ; I know I have them but might have to do a little digging.
I love flatties. The low hood 2A on back.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks