Help me understand Vekta.5 transmission gearing please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

Kraken Vekta.5 with ESP 34cc engine and full Vertigo transmission.
With stock tires I am currently running the 19t/22t configuration. I am installing the Maxxis Trepadore tires and need to lower my gearing to match the larger size tires. I am assuming using the 17t as the pinion and the 24r as the intermediate is the lowest gearing I can achieve with the Vertigo gears? I am hoping this is a good place to start and isn't too low.

I am assuming 17p/24 is the lowest, 24t/17 is the highest, and the 19/22 and the 18/23 are in_between?

Last edited:
19/22 = 1.16 ratio
17/24 = 1.41 ratio

19.45 percent difference between the two.

what is the roll-out on the tires , old vs. new?

Need to see what that it and then you can figure out if the new gearing will be enough to get you back to where you are now.

Last edited:
19/22 = 1.16 ratio
17/24 = 1.41 ratio

what is the roll-out on the tires , old vs. new?

Need to see what that it and then you can figure out if the new gearing will be enough to get you back to where you are now.
Circumference of the stock tire is 22.5". The circumference of the trepadore's is 26.5".

If I put the 24t as the pinion and the 17t as the intermediate or 17t as the pinion and 24t as the intermediate, this produces 2 different results? Maybe I am over thinking, but it seems to me it would be the same, just in different order

Tire is 16.3 % difference.

Gear change19.45 % difference.

Looks like 3.5% more gear , going to gain a little out of the hole and loose a little at top end.
Not just a size difference, but mass difference too. The trepadore tires are a good bit heavier vs stock, that gear set should be pretty ideal to deal with the size and weight difference, even if a bit of top end is sacrificed.

Not just a size difference, but mass difference too. The trepadore tires are a good bit heavier vs stock, that gear set should be pretty ideal to deal with the size and weight difference, even if a bit of top end is sacrificed.
I'm fine with sacrificing on the top end. I've never been a speed demon. I am boring and like nice controllable speeds.

Didn't think about the difference in weight/mass. Good point.
Breaking might be a little different as well. A little more rotating mass to slow down.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks